intro and pre-op questions

mmeadows
on 4/2/12 2:58 pm - OH
RNY on 05/22/12
I've been considering gastric bypass for over a year now. I backed out of the first doctor I went to, but recently I just got my surgery date for laparoscopic RNY- April 24th. Honestly, I wish people in my life were more supportive. Most people in my life seem to think that I should save my money and just lose the weight naturally, but I'm a classic yo-yo dieter. I usually gain back what I lose, plus some.  I'm currently 364 pounds, have hypertension, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea, and type 2 diabetes. I've been having problems even walking and standing lately, and so exercise is almost impossible at this point. I feel like I need wls as something that will kick-start a healthy lifestyle for me- one that I can't go back on. But I'm worried about surgical complications (even though no one has ever died from it at the hospital I'm going to). And thus, I have a few questions for you guys. Number one, did you have any complications during or after your surgery, and if so what were they? And secondly, how did you justify your life choice to others, especially those who weren't so understanding about it?
(deactivated member)
on 4/4/12 12:10 am
HEYYA..  ok, i had a little bit opp than you, everyone was pushing me towards the surgery, i kept saying no.. for 1 yr i tried to lose weight once the dr. told me i was diabetic, high blood pressure, water pills umm i weighed 515.. i lost 45 on my own. then would gain back.. so i went to dr and said i wanted to learn more about it. i went to clsses for 12 weeks.  had surgery scheduled for oct. 2010.. backed out. rescheduled for april 6, 2011. i followed through with it because i honestly felt if i didn't i would sink into oblivion and die young. im 32. i 1 yr post op this friday, i weigh 270ish. 40 more to go to my goal.  it hasnt been easy, everyone around you eats the SAME you eat less, and the first 3-4 months are hard as hell.. but it gets easier, i folowed my dr. recommendations and had no complications. (thank god)..  you get out what you put it. i started walking, cycling, (in the gym). lifting weights as soon as i was released to, in order to shape my body. and it's working. do not neglect the weight lifing..  now, how to deal with people telling you not to do it, you can't reason with them. they dont understand the way we feel being so large, the issues we have just tieing our shoes. they wont understand, and you should do what you feel is your best option to live..

preston.
artroxy blue
on 4/5/12 6:01 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12
 Welcome! I haven't had surgery yet, but my surgeon has had very few complications and no deaths, so that helps ease any fear. Also, I'm going to a Center of Excellence so they do a little extra for WLS patients--accommodating your size, compassion, etc. 

As for "justifying" my decision to have surgery, I don't. I put it out there that it's a matter of life or death, and I'm not ready to die in the next 10-15 years. I'm putting my health and well-being first, which is threatening to some people in my life. They assume I should be able to lose without surgery, but honestly, if I haven't lost it by now, when am I going to? You need to surround yourself with as many people who support your decision, and cut back on those who are negative about it. You don't need them to derail your efforts because they want to sabotage you. I'd also suggest getting some therapy to deal with this. I'm actually planning to go back to therapy after surgery to help me through this next stage of life. 

Good luck! 
Happysmile
on 4/23/12 12:56 pm
I have been dealing with weight issues for so many years. I am going through the process to have RNY surgery.
I have decided to tell only a few people in my life. As I don't need any negativity in my decision to have this surgery. To help better my life and in the future. I deserve to feel good and be healthy.
Hope that this help. I informed my husband about my decision after I had done research, have gone to a few apts, etc.
Sarah C.
on 6/9/12 9:22 am - AR
RNY on 09/05/12
So i know I'm a little late to the game on your post, but better late than never, eh? 

I'm still pre-op (hopefully this month!) so I can't answer questions RE: complications. I can say, however, just as with anything, you get out what you put in.  Listen to what your doctor has to tell you, and take it to heart.  I work in the medical field and I know how time and time again, people disregard the doctor's direction and that's when complications arise.  Now, everyone is different, but you can mitigate the complications with being proactive in doing what the doctor tells you.  (again, late in the game, so hopefully you've already had sx and are doing great without complications!)  

As far as justification, though....this is what I say.  The only person you have to justify it to is yourself.  Seriously.  Sure, I looked for approval from my (very skinny) best friend before I seriously considered anything.  Then I sheepishly told my mother.  I, too, have told very few people about my decision for WLS.  I guess I'm afraid some people will consider it a cop out.  I've talked about it with my parents, brother and his fiance, and a few other people like my doctor and close coworkers.  You know what I've found?  The few people who's opinions REALLY matter (aside from my own) are the people who have seen me struggle with my weight, every failed diet, every moment of depression and anguish, and yet, they've stood by me.  I know that those people will continue to do the same because they know as well as I do, for me...WLS is not a cop out.  It is going to save my life.  If they really care about you, what more justification do they need?  None. 

And to those who aren't understanding.  Educate them.  Clearly they need it. 

:) 
Most Active
Recent Topics