Trouble Getting My Family Dr. On board....

Chibi_Lenne
on 5/11/14 2:11 am, edited 5/11/14 3:24 am - Toronto, Canada

Hey there, first post on the forums for me.... a bit shy still.

Anyway, I'm 29 and live in Ontario, Canada. My mom had WLS over 10 years ago and has had excellent success, my Uncle recently also had it done. I've been struggling with my own weight since I was young, unfortunately as an impressionable teenager I tried a lot of diets: SlimFast, Atkins, TOPS, Weigh****chers (I was 12 then), Jenny Criage, they just... don't work for me.

I'm active, I do 90minutes a day of cardio (Ya Zumba!) and when I turned 20 I decided I didn't care what other's thought, I felt healthy, and I was proud of my body. I don't feel that way anymore. I'm almost 300lbs no matter what I do, just keeping it below that terrifying number takes a lot. I want to get the surgery but I don't even know how to start the process, everything has changed since I helped my mom get her approval for OHIP to cover the surgery.

I've mentioned it once or twice to my family doctor, but his response is either "that's nice" or "we're going to try a few things first" he never follows through. I can't afford to not have a doctor right now... but I also don't know what to do to lay down the law that I want to be considered for this surgery. I am so proud of my mom and uncle, but I don't want to wait until I'm in my 50s like they did, I want to be able to enjoy my life while I still can!!

I'm hoping I can find some answers, support, and...I don't know... any help on just getting things started.

Cheers!!

Chibi :3

Oh I'd also like to add that the last time I spoke with my Family Dr. about this he said I was "Too Young"

Frankie82
on 6/21/14 11:16 am
RNY on 08/07/14

I'm not sure how OHIP differs from BC medical, but here the final go-ahead is issued by the surgeon, not the GP. Have you tried asking for a referral so you can meet with the surgeon and ask some questions? Perhaps trying a "backdoor" approach might work better.

Krys H.
on 6/27/14 6:42 pm - hemet, CA

I would try a couple different things. Change doctors. Contact a surgeon. When I chose my PCP I asked them specifically if they did referrals for WLS before I even decided to pick them as my Dr. Even my Dr wanted me to wait longer but I told his nurse to please submit my referral for a consult with surgeon, she kept saying it would get denied, it didn't and I am looking forward to surgery by end of august. Sometimes you need to be proactive

Most Active
Recent Topics