alcohol

bunny B.
on 2/24/11 11:47 am - Norwich, CT
God why am I craving it???? always did drink ..  before surgery was doing so great of NOT.. now 5 months out it almost seems getting often! oh I'm loosing weight... feel great.getting all my protiens vitamins etc.. so WTF???
niecey61
on 3/23/11 2:19 am
Careful. I developed a transfer addiction with alcohol - been in AA for 2 yrs now.  Developed a real problem with it.
Elia-B
on 4/6/11 1:55 pm
 I've never been much of a drinker but since surgery, I've had a couple of sips...  really just a few sips.  And, wow!  They felt awesome!  I felt like my eyes glazed over and it was like... wow, this is nice!  Such a nice mellow.  Just thinking about it makes my eyes glaze over.  Yum....

So.... I know that my body is responding differently to alcohol post surgery.  Way differently!  Like the other commenter said, I'd be REALLY careful!  Sounds like brain based addiction.  After a surgery, I was given Oxycodone.  Nice stuff...  I liked being on it.  Liked the relaxed feeling I got from it.  But when it was time to stop taking it, it was like a siren song in my head for weeks!  I still have some left over and the surgery was about a year and a half ago.  I was able to stop, but I had to actively resist.

Sounds like it might be time to go full abstinence.  I really hope you are able to work through this and not fall into that hole!  Because it's a dark one....
RubyTues
on 11/13/11 1:39 am - Canada
we have a lady in our support group that has started drinking a bottle of wine a day and she's stalling at weight loss for obvious reasons but also almost blacks out. She says she just can't stop it though
Then I have a cousin that had the RNY almost two years ago and she has turned into a major drinker. She's in her early 30's and has always partied it up pre op but now it seems she always has a drink her hand. Makes me worry about the state of her liver in a few years.

bunny B.
on 12/26/11 5:30 pm - Norwich, CT
this im now worried called several rehabs,,been ER 3x  one from a bad fall ,black eye etc..having trouble finding anywhere takes my insurance.   i can go 4 days thhen it comes back hard how do i get away
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 1/9/12 5:29 am
If you want a drink and you think you can handle it - then carefully go ahead. Follow your doc's advice as to when you could try alcohol after surgery. Remember it will hit you harder than before and to avoid dehydration, have water when you have a drink-or part of a drink. If you have a compulsive personality, or OCD or something else that may lead you to drink more alcohol than you need or can handle then don't do it. Transfer addictions after surgery happen to those that are compulsive/have an addictive personality BEFORE surgery. If that's you then realize where this is going and stop now. If you need help, therapy, etc - see your doc or a good therapist to get you over this patch. Alcohol for us is a personal decision. For some it's no big deal but for those that were unable to stop eating pre op - transferring that compulsion to alcohol or something else after surgery is a very real thing. See where you are. Get help if needed, realize that we're not "normal" in our digestive systems or in the way our intestines absorb and get rid of food. When we drink it effects us more and quicker and we can't drive as we don't know how it will
bother us each time we do have a drink or a few sips. It will hit you fast but the feeling will leave you fast. That's when we get in to the mistaken belief that we're fine and we can drive. Don't. It will stay in your system and because it goes in undiluted it will mess up a breathalizer. Take care and use caution.
Jen 10 yrs post op.
AnniesSS
on 12/30/12 4:05 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I've had a drink on 2 different occasions and felt nothing!  I was a light-weight when it came to drinking, but so far, nothing!

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

Most Active
Recent Topics
how much weight did you lose?
Jetta311 · 1 replies · 261 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 515 views
Hello New Here
14u2c · 0 replies · 504 views
Back to Bariatric Basics
Allison L. · 0 replies · 3557 views