My surgeon's nurse called today....

Lee ~
on 7/30/10 8:36 am - CA
 To set up my 6 month check-up.   Holy Taco Bell!  When I saw my surgeon at 3 months, he said that he wanted me to be "overweight" at six months.  This is the guy that said a BMI of 30 would be a success and anything after that would be a bonus.

The day of the visit I was 199 on Kaiser scale, 196 on my scale.  I need to be 174.9 on the day of my appointment which means around 172 to account for the clothing.

One of the three months I only lost three pounds which puts me at a big disadvantage.  I've been sitting at 184.6 for nine days now.  I'm exercising (and have been for a couple of months) a minimum of 60 minutes but most days 90-120 minutes.  My calories have been around 800 a day.

The only thing that I know to do for the next 26 days until my appointment is to up my protein, up my water and cut out all carbs except in my calcium chews.

I've been feeling "almost" discouraged lately, but I know that doesn't help anything.  

I'm open to any suggestions for how to get things going faster.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

southernlady5464
on 7/30/10 8:53 am
Have you considered upping your calorie count? You are exercising so much it's possible your body is in starvation mode and hanging on to every pound in self defense. It needs some carbs for energy.

Also measure yourself...while you may not be losing weight, you may be losing inches.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Lee ~
on 7/30/10 12:03 pm - CA
Hi Liz,

I started upping my calories/lowering the carbs today.  I'll see how it goes.  I do burn energy better when I'm close to no carbs.  We'll see how it goes.

I do measure myself on the 17th of every month.  :)

VickyO
on 7/30/10 9:00 am, edited 7/30/10 9:02 am - Riverside, CA
Lee,
I don't know what to say.  You've done so much and should be very proud of yourself!  It's not like you are a slacker!!  Walking 120 miles in France in 2 weeks......WTF......I bet your surgeon can't say that!
Girl, you gotta relax.  I bet your body fat is low considering all the exercise you are doing?  I would do the water test to see where you are at with that.  I never asked my surgeon what "his" goal was for me.  I have my own goals. Everyone is different.  VSG is a lifelong tool that will continue to work forever if we work it.  Don't stress, that makes me gain weight.  It seems to me that your calories are way too low for the amount of exercise you are doing.  I know for me I was drinking alcohol "alot" and that affected my weight loss.  I came to realize that I do have a problem with alcohol, been sober for 14 days "today", one day at a time with AA meetings.  I'm not thrilled about giving up alcohol, but I had the sleeve cuz I wanted a better healthier way of life. The way I drank wasn't even close to healthy! Alcoholism runs in my family and I should should better.  I picked it up when I couldn't use food anymore.  It's tough!   Relax my friend.  You are an amazing woman!

p.s.  I see your surgeon doesn't list VSG on his specialties....He must be thinking of RNY when he tells you that you'll be at 174 at 6 months!!  Crazy!

cait_8901
on 7/30/10 11:54 am
So sorry...what's the water test?
Lee ~
on 7/30/10 12:07 pm - CA
Cait, I dunno either!

VickyO
on 7/30/10 12:09 pm - Riverside, CA
I've not done this yet, but want to do the "immersion test".  Here are the different ways:

Calculate Body Fat Percentage

THE PINCH TEST
Special calipers are used to measure folds of skin around specific spots on the body. This is not a precise method; but it is relatively accurate if a training professional conducts the test. Unfortunately, there is a variety of formulas that can be used to estimated body fat and quite often it is performed slightly different by each person. Thus, to increase accuracy, always have the same individual perform your pinch test . Also, always remember, the pinch test is not an exact measure of your real body fat percentage , but can work wonderfully for a monthly reference to monitor your progress. 

Accuracy: Moderately accurate when conducted by a trained professional.
Starting Cost: $10 to $20
Convenience: Widely available at health clubs and only takes a few minutes. 

BIOELECTRICAL IMPEDANCE TEST
A trained technician connects electrodes to your hand and foot while you lie down. Then a harmless radio-frequency pulse is run directly through the body to measure water content. That number provides a estimate of body fat with an error of 2 or 2 1/2 percentage points. Although, exercise and different levels of liquid intake directly before the test can distort results. 

Accuracy: Equal to the pinch test
Starting Cost: $25
Convenience: It takes only a few minutes and is found at some health facilities. 

IMMERSION TEST
This is by far the most accurate body fat measurement method available. The test requires you to exhale the air from your lungs as you get dunked into a pool of water. The method only has an error margin of 1 body fat percentage point. 

Accuracy: The very best
Starting Cost: $25 to $50
Convenience: Accessible at many hospitals and various gyms, although, it is exhausting and can last up to an hour 

BOD POD
You step into an egg-shaped chamber, sit for 20 seconds, and that's it. The chamber measures air displacement within your body. This measurement is converted to your relative body fat after your weight is factored in. 

Accuracy: Initial tests show that it's as good as immersion.
Starting Cost: $25 to $125
Convenience: Found at only a few dozen hospitals and doctor's offices, but it's quick and easy

Lee ~
on 7/30/10 12:47 pm - CA
 I wonder if Kaiser does the immersion test.  I'd love to do that when I get close to goal.

Thanks for posting this!

Lee ~
on 7/30/10 12:07 pm - CA
You gorgeous woman, Vicky! 

You know, I just wanted to try to make my surgeon's goal, mostly for the challenge and to keep myself exercising hard all summer.  If I don't make it, it won't be the end all, but I still want to keep trying.   My surgeon doesn't give goals either, but I think he just wanted to challenge me.  It was all said with a twinkle in his eye.

Congratulations on 14 days and making a decision to treat your body and mind better.  I was in OA for 17 years and still use the Steps as a roadmap for living a good life.  Anytime you want to talk program, send me a message.  I'm really proud of you!

I don't think Dr. Baggs has it on his specialties because they really just started the Sleeve in November 2009.  He's a great surgeon and I think he walks on water, plus he loves his dog.  :)

browneyedDeeva
on 7/30/10 1:09 pm - NY
RNY on 05/03/13 with
wahoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! congrads on ur 14 day anniversary im soooooooooo proud of u vicko

see ya lighter,

Toni                         

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views