Day 12- post-op.....Update

peyton88
on 7/31/10 1:18 am, edited 7/31/10 1:19 am - Madison, GA
Hey Everybody!

I had my surgery (RNY) 12 days ago and thought I'd update my progress. Overall, I'm doing very well. Despite the first 5 days being fairly rough (nausea, diarrhea, fatigue) , I seemed to turn the corner about day 6 and feel semi-human again. Starting pureed, REAL foods was also a huge thing for me. My body really seemed to crave food! So far I have tolerated everything I've eaten (cottage cheese, pureed ham, deli turkey, cheese sticks, refried beans, unsweet peaches, tuna, and even 2 whole grain crackers last night which were heavenly). I'm still using a baby spoon and putting my food in those little salad dressing cups that are 2 oz.....I think this really helps.

Overall, I'm getting all my fluids but my protein seems to fall between 35-45 grams daily.....I'm still working on this to get to the magic number of 60 but I'll get there. I did find a protein shake I like but it's an EAS ready to drink and only has 17 grams of protein....I can only tolerate one of these a day. I've got some nectar samples ordered so maybe those will do the trick to get me up to 60.

I went back to work on day 8 after surgery. This was a little sooner than I would have liked but I'm a teacher and preplanning days have started. I was prepared to work half days but ended up staying for full days. I actually think going back to work helped me feel better. I did a lot of walking, stayed busy, had lots of interactions with friends etc. I did come home yesterday afternoon and CRASH for about 4 hours.....I think the 4 workdays caught up with me!

This is definitely an adventure. My head hunger has reared its ugly head a couple of times but I've dealt with it.....I know I'll be able to eventually eat my favorite foods again someday so I don't feel like it's the end of the world. It's actually been very easy to stick to my surgeons guidelines and I'm sure as heck not going to push my pouches limits!! I still battle a little nausea here and there and don't have too much desire to eat....but I make myself. I'm also able to get down all my vitamins now and I think that has contributed to me feeling better too!

I've lost 14 pounds as of this morning so I'm pleased....that's about a pound a day! I know things will slow down but it's nice to have a little jump start! Thanks for all the kindness and support!!
  HW/SW/CW/Goal.....219  / 206 /  122 / 130

Happy_Camper
on 7/31/10 1:31 am
Congrats on the 14 lbs!!!!!  You will see/feel improvement everyday.  Hang in there, you are doing great!!!!  Cindy

Surgery March 2, 2010 -  5' 9"  -   HW 278 /  SW 260 /  CW 139 / GW 150

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat                         

Lee ~
on 7/31/10 1:35 am - CA
I'm so happy to read that you're having a good journey post WLS!  You're doing terrific!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

STLfan
on 7/31/10 1:41 am
Way to go Peyton! Your doing great and probably turned the corner. Keep working on protein.....good for healing process.... Keep to the guide lines for your surgery type and sip sip sip liquids. Have a nice day and rest up a bit.
Jeff                    
NursieGirl
on 7/31/10 2:31 am
You're doing well Girl!  Fluids first, then protein.  It will get easier, I promise!  Congrats on 14 lbs!  That's wonderful!!!

AndreaH09
on 7/31/10 3:25 am
Thanks for the update ....I've been following your progress since I will be right behind you (surgery next Thurs - Aug 5).  Today is day 10 of liquid for me.
HW 251/SW 239/CW 183/GW 150  height= 5'5"

cait_8901
on 7/31/10 4:42 am
Peyton - Glad to hear you're doing so well!  I'm a teacher also...Our first day of school will be post-op day 8....I mostly have the classroom ready to go.  Oh darn, I'll have to miss Open House...lol.  I just picked up some of the 17g EAS protein shakes at Target.  Have you tried adding the protein powder to your food....just wondering because that's what my surgeon wants me to do, although it sounds sick to me.  I sampled one of the 42g liquid bullets by mixing it in with a Vitamin water Zero...ughhhh.  I know this is going to be a challenge for me as well. Woo hoo on the 14 pounds!  That's like a man's bowling ball!!!
            ~Cathie's Stats: RNY August 16, 2010~~~Height: 5'6" SW-254 GW-150~~~~

lerkhart
on 7/31/10 5:24 am
Peyton, sounds like you are doing good.  14 pounds is great!!  Keep up the good work.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jane W.
on 7/31/10 6:58 pm - Southaven, MS
You sound lilke you are doing great!!!  It was hard for me to find a protein that I liked....but finally...  good luck with your search.  Don't let the kids get you down.  Keep us posted.  Congrats on that bowling ball wt. loss.  :)
5'6"    
italianspice
on 8/1/10 1:18 am - Eastlake, OH
Great job!
I cant believe you are work already!
I am only day3 and just dont see that happening yet.
Keep on trying and you will get there with the protein.
We have to relearn everything about eating again.

Congrats on the 14 pounds!

Maria
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 494 views