Hair Loss

Shannon D.
on 8/5/10 10:58 pm
Sorry I've been so full of questions lately, but I'm in completely uncharted territory with weight, exercise, diet, etc.

Anyway, my hair is falling out like crazy! It has been coming out more than normal for the past two months, but the past few days it is really bad! I'm freaking out. I already take biotin along with my vitamins, is there anything I can do? I cut my hair a lot shorter when the hairloss started, but now I am considering really chopping it. I wanted to grow it out so it will go in a ponytail when I run, but I don't know if this is the best time for that. Did you lose hair? What did you do about it?

5'0"   HW-214   SW-186  GW-115  CW-96-99 
  LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

mybadof4
on 8/5/10 11:30 pm - De Pere, WI
RNY on 11/09/09 with
Yes!  My hair was falling out like crazy.  I had a couple wigs picked out even.  But then it stopped, so hang in there.
 Mary       
HW 238 SW 215 GW 135 2nd GW 125 CW 120 
valleyfree
on 8/5/10 11:32 pm - OR
I had surgery just a couple of weeks before you. About 4 weeks ago (right at 4 months) is when the hair came out like crazy.......huge clumps at a time. I had long, really thick hair with big fat strands, so it was an alarmingly big pile of hair that came out every day.

Now, just a few weeks later it is falling out at about half the rate that it was. This week, I got my hair cut to a length just barely long enough for a ponytail. With the loss slow down and the haircut, the piles of hair in the morning are much smaller.

Truth is, I just don't think you can do anything about it. The biotin won't help with the loss -- just with the regrowth. I have tons of little shorties sticking up, so I at least know it's growing back even though I'm not taking biotin.

I know everyone is different, but I hope the mass hair loss is a short period for you too.
HW 247/SW 232/CW 135/GW 140 Height 5'4"  Age 43 A BIT BELOW GOAL

Roz !!!!
on 8/5/10 11:38 pm - Butler, PA
My hair loss last about 3 months.  The way I understand it , the Biotin only helps with regrowth not during the losing stage.  I started using Biotin, Nexium Shampoo and Nexium Conditioner during the 3rd month and continued for the next few months.  Being older I already had thinner hair, but now it is thicker and has body to it.  A major improvement over Before WLS. 

I know it's an awful feeling to see all of that hair coming out, but I don't know of anyone that didn't have it grow back in and most people say it is healthier and nicer than before.

(((HUGS)))

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Shannon D.
on 8/5/10 11:48 pm
Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm not alone. I guess I should consider myself lucky because I started with a thick, full head of hair.

italianspice
on 8/6/10 1:02 am - Eastlake, OH
My surgeon warned me that by six months, I would lose alot of hair, and that by a year it should be back.
I am not looking forward to that, but I am glad to know it is temporary.
BrowningBabe
on 8/6/10 1:52 am - Pleasant Prairie, WI
I'm still losing alot of hair. I'll be glad when it stops because my hubby is getting tired of cleaning out the shower drain when it gets clogged  :(

Christine

5'4"  HW235/SW226.5/CW147.5/GL130

Sharonda
on 8/6/10 1:59 am - Canada
VSG on 11/10/09 with
Hiya,

My hair loss is just slowing up now, started noticing it at about 5 months.  I have been taking Biotin and Silica as they are both suppose to help support healthy hair and nails (regrowth).  I'm also using Nioxin for 'noticably thinning" hair, which I think is helping.   

So if you are inclined to grow it out I say go for it, the loss will slow up and stop completely from what I've read from some of the veterans and I have already noticed less hair in my brush now at 7 months. 

Sharonda
 5'4"
HW 242
SW 202
GW 115
CW 146

Shannon D.
on 8/6/10 3:36 am
Thanks guys! I am going to attempt to deal with it and not chop it off. It makes sense about the biotin. My nails are growing at lighting speed and are super hard!

Kat70
on 8/6/10 4:58 am
This is a worry for me as my hair is fairly thin now and baby fine.  My hairdresser tells me he already has wigs ready to order for me so I am trying not to stress too much.

I used to use Nexium shampoo and the other products that supposedly help hair growth but I don't know where to buy them now as my current hairdresser does not carry them.  Any ideas?

Kat70   

I am 4" 11"   HW: 207 SW: 190 CW: 163  Surgery date: 9/23/10            
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views