How low will I go??? Will I be able to stop??

graciesmommie
on 8/7/10 4:14 am
I thought that with the hernia surgery I would gain weight, with iv fluids pain meds, etc. I have been swollen and on pain meds. I have been able to eat. The doctor went ahead and did the surgery thinking I was at my lowest weight. Monday morning before surgery I was at 117lbs. Today I am 114.2.  Hubby is worried I wasn't as worried until this morning. You would have thought that without bowel movements, with IV fluids, etc. I would have gained. I have lost 3lbs this week. Not sure what is up with this? Anybody ever get scared they can not stop??
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
STLfan
on 8/7/10 8:08 am
You didn't say how much you are eating but it is odd to think crap in and no crap out!!! Are you in any kind of pain that would point to obstruction? Keep up those fluids if you can and call in and see if they get concerned as well. It does sound odd indeed but hang in there and if you feel really bad do get help. What was the surgeons goal weight for you and do you still fit in the BMI chart? These are just my thoughts and I hope you get feeling more secure in your condition. I don't know anything about anything so don't think I do I just feel a bit concerned for you and your hubby.
Jeff                    
Elizabeth_Ann
on 8/7/10 2:58 pm
How tall are you and how fast are you losing in general?

Take good care of yourself and keep us posted, please!

Hugs, 

Liz in Orlando       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

MajorMom
on 8/7/10 8:52 pm, edited 8/7/10 10:42 pm - VA
If I recall, you're a little shorter than I am and a lot younger.  Don't be too worried unless you go down to a 18BMI and are still losing. You're going to reach bottom, hold that for several months and then bounce back up 5 or so pounds. Let DH know that is usually the way it works and it's just part of the process. You want to go a little low so your reset will be at a comfortable level and not too high. The second year you will start to redistribute and your face and neck will plump back up little. This low weight and melted candle-look is just a phase and not permanent.

If you're still losing at 18BMI, talk to your surgeon or PCP about digestive enzymes (Creon is the name). They will help you absorb more calories. I hope you don't get to that point, very few people do, but don't start adding crappy calories and carbs to try to slow yourself. Let your body do what it needs to do. 

--gina

edited to fix spelling and such

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

graciesmommie
on 8/7/10 10:27 pm
Thanks Gina! Guess it is all part of the process. It's a little scary but I will not waiver. I see people around me that had surgery before I did that are eating things that are not in our plan. All I can think of is my family and all they went through in this experience with me. I owe it not only to them but to myself to hold fast to the things that are good for me. This surgery has given me my life back! I can do things now that I could have never done before. Your support through this experience has been so inspirational to me. Thanks for all the information. I am sure I will need more soon! Hugs, Danielle
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
MajorMom
on 8/7/10 10:51 pm - VA
Back-at-cha! Have a great Sunday!

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

sam1am
on 8/8/10 4:56 am
I wanted to add that I've seen on the vsg board several occasions where peoples weight drops after plastic surgery, etc as a result of the healing process.  Apparently it burns a lot of calories.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

paranoidmother21
on 8/8/10 12:12 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Danielle, I hope that for you (and I!) it stops soon!

And Gina, thanks for the insight about how low it can go... DH, my family, and various friends are all telling me to "stop losing" - and I keep telling them that it's out of my control, and I am NOT going to eat junk to soothe their worries - but it's hard!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views