5 Hour Glucose Tolerance Test

poodlemama
on 8/10/10 3:48 am - MA
 I am now undergoing testing to find out why I had a seizure.

The neurologist has ordered a GTT and after reading about it it, I'm terrified to have it. Has anyone else had one, or know of an alternative?
I have had sugar only once and had a horrible dumping episode. I have no desire to go through that again.

Any help is appreciated!

Ellie

I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world.

southernlady5464
on 8/10/10 5:29 am
I've only had one, back in 1990 andd it was miserable because I had reactive hypoglycemia and didn't know it.

Show your neuro the studies that are linked in my blog on here at OH and he, hopefully will rethink the 5 hour test. There is no need for such a long one. Also, remind him that RYN'ers dump on really sweet stuff. And give him the articles from the medical community about the RNY hat talk about that. He isn't your surgeon. You may need to get your surgeon involved to help you.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

rbb825
on 8/11/10 1:06 pm - Suffern, NY
GTT are not a good idea for anyone that has trouble with sugar.  You need to talk to your neuro and your surgeon and get this straightend out. IF they say it is medically necessary for your seizure diagnosis, make sure it is done in a doctors office and not in a lab so if you get sick, there is medical staff there to treat you - lab technician are not medically trained. If possible, get the 3 hour or 2 hour and not the 5 hour.  You blood sugar will most likely plummet in 5 hours.  If you have an Endocrinologist, do it there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views