Ulcer/Pain?8 mos out RNY

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/10 9:11 am
I need some help here- I have had stabbing mid-gut pain all day. I had twinges last week and had enough sense to call my surgeons office and get bak on Prevacid. However , I called today and am going on Carafate (big pills) and am scheduled for endoscopy next week. Anyone out there with similar problems, or anyone who has taken Carafate?  thanks so much,
Brenda
Jody ***
on 8/10/10 11:09 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
No - haven't had anything like that, but wanted to let you know I hope you find out what it is...

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

rbb825
on 8/10/10 1:51 pm - Suffern, NY
I am suprised he put you on the carafate before he diagnose the ulcer.  there are 2 different types of ulcers and depending on the type of ulcer, you might not need carafate.  You need a biopsy of HPylori which is a bacteria that causes ulcers - if it is positive for that, you need a Prevpac which is Prevacid with 2 antibiotics for 14 days.  If it is negative, then you go on Prevacid and Carafate for 8 weeks or longer til the ulcer heals.

mythinme
on 8/10/10 2:26 pm
Hi there :) 

I'm almost 8 months out too and am getting a pain in the middle right under my sternum that feels like a burning feeling. Sometimes it happens right after I eat, if I eat too much of a serving, or even just drinking fluids. Once, I did lay down and woke up with a bitter taste in my mouth so I am kinda thinking I have an ulcer too which would totally suck. 

I'm hoping its just stress related. I bought OTC prevacid but got the stupid time release stuff. I'm going to call the surgeon's office tomorrow morning and let them know what's going on. Maybe they can call in a new rx for the prevacid. 

I hope you feel better :) 

HW
/  SW /  CW /  GW (1st goal met!! ) New Goal Weight                        height 5'3"
230 / 196132  / 135                                       125

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/10 9:45 pm
Thanks so much for the input. I have had some stomach irritation pre surgery, then ended up back in the hospital with a diagnosed ulcer so I'm sure the dr thinks that since Prevacid is not helping and I have a past history of ulcers that the Carafate is indicated. I do feel better this morning but I haven't eaten yet.
Brenda
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views