Need your help on how to lose this last 20 pounds? What strategies did you use?

thinthing
on 3/23/11 10:29 pm - Bourbon, IN
I seem to be "stuck" at 160 and would like to lose another 20 pounds.  How did you get yourself losing again?  What strategies did you use?  I am especially interested in any insights on higher/lower carbohydrates.  I have come so far and don't want to give up.  It would be encouraging to see the scale start moving again. 

thinthing    
SW 242~CW 147~GW 140~Lowest 129 (normal BMI 24.8) Total Loss: 113 lbs

Lori P.
on 3/23/11 10:40 pm - Kenosha, WI
I dropped the minimal amounts of carbs that I was having and added strength straining to my routine (I was already doing Spin class).  It worked..... I am now below goal and trying to stop the loss.....never had THAT problem before!!

My diet consisted of greek yourgut (b), protein shakes (snacks) and spinach leaves with diced chicken and a tiny bit of salad dressing (lunch and supper)...that is it!  I have since added fruit and popcorn since I don't want to lose anymore.

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

thinthing
on 3/24/11 1:01 am - Bourbon, IN
Lori, thanks for the hint with strength training.  I will incorporate that.  I do daily walking.  I had been eating under 40 carbs per day, mainly from fruit.  I think I will try upping calories for a few days, adding resistance exercise and then going back to normal diet and see what happens - I will be an experiment in the making! Ha!  I will post again to let you know how things are going.

thinthing    

italianspice
on 3/23/11 10:53 pm - Eastlake, OH
Great post, I feel like things are slowing down for me  too.

Dont give up. Keep posting and lets make it to goal!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Roz !!!!
on 3/24/11 12:33 am - Butler, PA
When I hit my presonal Goal of 125 I thought that was as low as I wanted to go so I increased my calories (mostly in Protein drinks) and in about a week I started losing again.  I dropped down to 106 in a short amount of time.

When I used to be in a stall I would increase my calories 200-300 for 3 days and then drop back down and that worked for me.

The main thing is to watch your "bad" carbs and increase your Protein which is something you should be doing anyway for healthy weight loss. 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

thinthing
on 3/24/11 12:59 am, edited 3/24/11 1:03 am - Bourbon, IN
Thank you all for your advice! I am going to try increasing calories and good carbs for 3 days and then go back down.  Now that you say that, I have had a couple instances where I stopped losing and did exactly that (because I was bored with my diet plan and changed it up) and it picked back up again! Guess I just needed to see it in print! Ha!  I have been intaking adequate amounts of protein all along thru mainly shakes and adding protein powder to cottage cheese, jello, etc.  getting in about 70-80 gr protein daily.  I also eat only the good carbs nothing refined.  Mainly fruits, cheeses and meats daily.  So I feel that I am still eating the way I should be, Its just that the weight loss has stopped for weeks now and want to get it going again.  I am going to try your suggestions and will post again to let you know what happens - thanks again!

I'd love to hear from more of you and your experiences with this!

thinthing    

JennaKopanyi
on 3/24/11 6:05 am - Harpers Ferry, WV
darn you Roz! Why couldn't you have told me this secret 2 weeks ago? I did this accidentally and then learned that was how I could start losing again, eat a little more for a little while then back to the stricter numbers and voila! bye bye pounds :)

7/18/10: 211lbs, 10/16/10: 174 lbs, 1/21/11: 146 lbs, 4/20/11: 131 lbs. Insulin FREE since 7/2010, "normal" BMI since 12/2010. I'm 31, 5'5", happily married, with a fabulous 3 year old boy, and hope to add to our family in the near future       

loverofcats
on 3/24/11 5:37 am
As well as making some dietary changes, I would increase the exercise. Strength training can help in the long run, but you may see a slight regain in the beginning, since your body is working at building muscle. In the long run, with more muscle, your metabolism will be higher, so that you burn your calories efficiently. Increasing your cardio exercise can also help to burn more calories and increase your weight loss.  When I was losing weight at a slower rate, back in Jan, I increased my cardio exercise in Feb, which seemed to help jumpstart the weight loss again. Now, I am barely losing, but I am at the last 5 lbs.

Good Luck!!!!!
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

MacMadame
on 3/24/11 12:42 pm - Northern, CA
Exercise. And more exercise.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

helane
on 3/24/11 9:40 pm - canton, MA
I am trying more excercise....but I'm stuck at 170 and have been for a while..hopefullly the scale will budge..

I have added protein shakes..which I am horrible about.. but I have added dry roasted edamame.. 1.49 a bag that lasts more than 2 days ..
Helane            
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views