Post op heart burn?

kimkel
on 4/1/11 10:54 am - Ellsworth, ME
I will be 3 weeks post op on Monday and I have been having terrible heart burn in the evening and into the night?  I was really hoping to have gotten rid of this.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Kim 

Kermit P.
on 4/1/11 11:22 am

Are you on medication for this?  I was prescribed prilosec and I noticed my tummy started feeling better after surgery once I started taking it.  I am really sorry you are experiencing this.....I have experienced severe heartburn before ( and discovered that I have a food intolerance to corn) so I feel for you.  Hopefully others will have some better advice.

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Stacey N.
on 4/1/11 11:22 am - Chesapeake, VA
I am 7 months out and still get heartburn everynight. I take nexium to help curb this but it seems I am just going to have it no matter what. My surgeon thought even before the surgery that I would continue to have it. Good Luck and maybe you need to take something, talk to the doc

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

kimkel
on 4/1/11 11:53 am - Ellsworth, ME
 I had heartburn really bad when was pregnant and then when I started getting heavier.  I was put on prilosec before my surgery to help with acid reflux I have been having a hard time taking it now.  They have me take it before bed time but I need something that will help before the heartburn starts. 
MacMadame
on 4/1/11 1:59 pm - Northern, CA
The surgery can irritate the flap that keeps food from backing up into your esophagus. It takes a while to heal but it does recover.

I was on a PPI until I was 20 months out but that's unusual. Most people can get off it a lot sooner than that.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

bowknot
on 4/1/11 2:10 pm
I used the generic prilosec every day.  I had significant GERD before surgery.  I haven't taken any chances since surgery.

Kay

Price S.
on 4/1/11 8:17 pm - Mills River, NC
I had GERD before and took something off and on.  Since surgery I have been on generic prilosec, at night.  They say you need to be producing acid for it to work best so before you eat, or before bed.  Now I am still on it because of the asprin 81mg I'm suppose to be doing.
I would try taking it before you eat supper or before bed.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Kermit P.
on 4/1/11 11:39 pm
I take it first thing in the morning and I have had no heartburn so far.....I also like taking it first thing as it says to take it an hr before you eat and my pouch Rufus needs a little time before nutrition starts each day.

Good luck!

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
kimkel
on 4/2/11 12:28 am - Ellsworth, ME
Thanks for the advice guys.  I wish I could take it twice a day once in the morning and once before I eat supper.  It does say on the bottle that I can open up the capsule and put the contents in applesauce as long as I don't chew.  So I did that and was able to get it down. 

Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views