bariatric card?

helane
on 4/25/11 9:19 pm - canton, MA
My niece was telling me about a card that I could get that I could show at restaurants that would let me buy off the kids menu?
Is there such a thing?

I don't go out to eat often, but it might be nice to have one?
Helane            
Price S.
on 4/25/11 9:33 pm - Mills River, NC
I think they actually had some at one of the support groups I went to so maybe someone can tell you where to get them.

Unfortunately, most of the items on the childrens menu aren't the healthiest and I although I have looked, I have chosen to order from the regular menu and take stuff home mostly.  I also am pretty specific and picky.  I order from Mexican without tortilla, ect. exactly what I want and don't want.  I get veggies instead of potatoes, rice, etc.  My DH is amazed at what they will do for me if I just ask.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Just-Jenn
on 4/25/11 9:34 pm - Midstate Region, PA
My Dr office had come up with a business size card that explained something like 'this person has had a surgery which has greatly reduced their ability to consume large portions of food'  Some places didn't care what I had- they wouldn't do it...needless to say if someone wouldn't honor my choices- I don't return to the place.  I think I only ate a few times from the kids menu because in all honesty most of that stuff is trash food anyways.  I would much rather pay the extra dollar or two and have something that I want and have left overs. 

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

helane
on 4/25/11 9:35 pm - canton, MA

For the last two times I have gone out, I order exactly what I want and have them serve me 1/3 of the meal and bag the rest. 
This way I don't overeat..which I can do..

Helane            
Stacey N.
on 4/25/11 9:37 pm - Chesapeake, VA
I do have a medical card and my surgeons office gave it to me, I have found what Price has found, the childrens menu is not always the healthiest, but have also found that at places like Golden Corral, they will give you a discount. It has also allowed me to order just a chicken piece and only be charges for it and not a whole meal....
Some places it is a hassel though and I would much rather order a regular meal and take home what is left, I also subsititute the potatos and rice for different items and have never had any issues with it.

Somedays I believe I am going to open my own restaurant that caters to WLS patients....Oh the dreams LOL

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

helane
on 4/25/11 10:11 pm - canton, MA

Stacy,
You know..I think I want in on that restaurant idea!!

Helane            
southernlady5464
on 4/25/11 10:15 pm
Instead of trying to order off the kids menu, which as it has been mentioned is not the healtiest of options, do one of these things:

Split a meal, and yes they usually charge for the extra plate but it's still cheaper than two meals.
Order a regular meal and have them "doggy bag" half of it.
Order off the appetizer menu as your main course.

IF you happen to be a senior, like I am in many places, order off the senior menu.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Mommy_AIC
on 4/25/11 11:05 pm
With my card they have let me order off the senior menu.  I have used the kids menu at claim jumper, but they never asked for a card.  I just said can I order this, and they said yes!  You can get tri tip on kids menu there with veggies.  I do not get the kids drink that comes with it.  Can not drink while eating anyway.  Some places just do not care, but strangely enough golden corral a buffet let you use it.  Which is nice since I only eat one small plate (less than my 5 year old usually).
D~
r
eached goal ~ its all about maintaining now!
helane
on 4/25/11 11:07 pm - canton, MA
I just never thought to ask for a card.

Right after I had the surgery, I went to a restaurant with my son and I basically ordered the shrimp ****tail appetiser..ate one shrimp..was done..

Even now 5 months out, I can still only eat a bit at a time..it's just that I know if that if the food stays in front of me..in about 10 minutes..I can eat some more..:)

Bread is the hardest thing for me to give up..and seriously it is the one thing I love love love love..did I say how much I love bread to eat..

I didn't count calories/carbs/protein or anything during Holy Week..now I'm back to the grind..
lucky for me..I didn't gain any weight!!
Helane            
JennaKopanyi
on 4/25/11 11:21 pm - Harpers Ferry, WV
i got my card from celebrate vitamins (came with my first vitamin order) specifying that i need to be allowed to order smaller portions where available due to stomach surgery. some times they ask, some times they don't.
haven't ordered off the senior menu yet, but i have not had any trouble with the kids. here are some examples of restaurants and kids menu items i order:

red lobster: snow crab legs with broccoli (8.99), or baked fish with broccoli (4.99), or garlic shrimp with you guessed it, broccoli (4.99). you can sub a salad for a dollar more

outback: chicken on the barbie with seasonal mixed veggies this was enough food for 2 meals and I paid 5 bucks

bob evans: grilled chicken tenders with broccoli

that's all i can think of for right now, i tend to stick to what i know works for me.

7/18/10: 211lbs, 10/16/10: 174 lbs, 1/21/11: 146 lbs, 4/20/11: 131 lbs. Insulin FREE since 7/2010, "normal" BMI since 12/2010. I'm 31, 5'5", happily married, with a fabulous 3 year old boy, and hope to add to our family in the near future       

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views