Me again with another OT.....LOL

IRAYD8U
on 5/10/11 4:33 am, edited 5/10/11 4:34 am - MONTICELLO, MN
My boss asked me today if I wanted to switch onto weekends in June/July permanently...I could pick up 2 shifts during the week to get FT hours...he's not sure if he can get approval for me to keep my 1.0 FTE or if I'd have to drop down to a 0.6 FTE with no guarantee of 40 hrs/week...I'd get to learn MRI if I did this AND I'd be off nights completely! Now I just have to wait and see if I can keep my FTE status the same...if I can't I'd lose 40% of my PTO, 2 personal days/yr, 5 days of holiday pay, & OT for worked holidays....do you think I should take it either way?....I think that would be losing A LOT! I appreciate all of your opinions immensely! I told him I'd get back to him by the end of next week and asked him to find out about the FTE status and that it would play a HUGE role in my decision.

Oh and I still haven't even gotten an interview for that other job.....so who knows if that will even be an option for me......

HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
Ruthie D.
on 5/10/11 4:47 am, edited 5/10/11 4:48 am - Mayer, AZ
Wow.  That's a huge opportunity to gain your life back and learn additional marketable skills, but with some real compromises, huh.  I know you'll weight the pros and cons and figure out what's really best for you in the long run. 

Personally, I would ask myself: 
#1 is there's opportunity for advancement back to FTE over time,
#2 could I afford to live on less money if 40 hrs/week was not met,
#3 would no more nights be worth the PTO & holiday OT loss, and,
#4 would it be less stressful and help me be a happier camper all the way around.  

#4 is sometimes worth *all kinds* of sacrifices.  

Good to see you Heather and your new Avatar pic is verrrry cute!  :-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
IRAYD8U
on 5/10/11 5:05 am - MONTICELLO, MN
Thanks for your insight Ruthie! 

I fogot to mention that he did think his boss would approve for me to keep my current FTE.....however......my boss has a bad habit of telling people what they want to hear so he can get the response from them that HE wants.......LOL  So I take what he says with a grain of salt......He may have to hire 2 techs to replace my current position as it is and I don't know if he's got that in his hiring budget.   If he can find someone who is willing to do the job of an x-ray tech and CT tech like I was than I'm probably set.......but that isn't always an option.

Being a hospital that is less than 2 years old there is plenty of potential for an increase in hours, yet at this point in my life I NEED 40 hours/wk.....I do have another casual job and could make up the difference there during the summer months covering vacations.......but that too isn't any gaurantee of hours....BUT I did work an extra 40-60 hours/ PP last summer at my "casual" job too......LOL  If I don't take this job I could be stuck on nights FOREVER.....LOL
                    HEATHER
               Join us on the Lightweights Board
 Ask me about our Facebook Chat Group: OH WLS-Lightweights
  36 years old
5'7"   HW 256 / SW 240 / CW 145 / GW 140
Ruthie D.
on 5/10/11 7:22 am - Mayer, AZ
Foreverrrr is a very long time!  LOL    I don't think he would be offering the position to you if he didn't want you there... probably bad enough to agree to keeping your FTE as being a condition his boss would have to agree to (in writing).  I'm sure he can tell his boss what HE wants to hear too in order to make it happen!  You just might have the upper hand right now girl.  Go Heather GO!
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
bowknot
on 5/10/11 7:04 am
Do you have benefits?  If yes, do you lose them if you go below 40 hrs/week?

I couldn't live without my PTO. 

Kay
lerkhart
on 5/10/11 10:24 am
Heather, I hope it works out for you.  I would have to be able to keep my benefits or I'd have to pass it up.
Good luck!!
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views