Losing weight and lower extremity pain...

Amy P.
on 5/12/11 4:07 am - Liberty Lake, WA
I just learned a little tid bit I had to share....

Did you know that every pound of body weight equals four pounds of pressure --per step-- put on your joints?  Uugghhh!!!!

In 2006 I trained for and did a marathon at 195 pounds and now have stage 4 arthritis in my right hip. That was one of my main reasons for WLS---lower my weight to avoid a hip replacement in the next five years.  I am only 41!

I had an appointment with the ortho surgeon again this morning and he was encouraged with my weight loss.  Then told me that if I do lose my goal of 90 pounds, that would be 

***360 pounds less***

that I am putting on my hip with every step!!!  No wonder the darn thing wore out during that marathon training. 

If I can get to goal by this fall he is going to do another hip scope and clean it all out and grind off the osteophytes (since my insurance annual out of pocket has already been met!). Hopefully this will get me through for a few more years.

If any of you are considering surgery and have bad hips, knees, ankles---all I can say is that getting the weight off is making a difference!

Amy
                                HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

MajorMom
on 5/12/11 7:30 am - VA
I can attest to that too. Rock on, Amy!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 5/12/11 9:05 am - Mills River, NC
Wow.  That is impressive information.  My hips gave out years ago when I was running.  My knees were great then, I'm sure because the muscles, tendons and ligament were strong and held them together.  Now my hips are doing ok but my one knee is still crap. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Ruthie D.
on 5/12/11 3:28 pm - Mayer, AZ
I  sure could tell the difference way early on!  I hardly ever have hip pain now and my bad knee just gurgles at me.  My feet are EVER so grateful to have some relief!  I can only imagine how great it will be when I'm at goal.  Quite an incentive, I tell you.   Glad to hear you're doing better and your ortho guy is on the ball, Amy.   :-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views