1 year labs??

fatoldbat
on 6/9/11 2:35 am
I had my labs done and got the results today.....i go for my 1 year check up on the 20th....everything is in the "normal" range except for the following.......

MCV - 102 (normal is 80-98)
MCHC - 31.1 (normal is 32.0-36.0)
Neutrophils - 80 (normal is 40-74)
Lymphs - 13 (normal is 14-46)
AST (SGOT) - 52 (normal 0-40)
ALT SGPT - 58 (normal is 0-40)
Vitamin B12 - 1322 (normal is 211-946)
Vitamin D - 61.4 (within normal range but i still take the dry D3 5000 units per day)

any insight??

still loving my RNY!!
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 6/9/11 2:42 am - VA
How about calcium and PTH (parathyroid hormone)?

For your AST and ALT, you might want to start taking some milk thistle to help bring those down. i take 1,200mg a day but you might be ok with 600mg a day.

It's ok to be higher on the B12.

The rest aren't vitamin or mineral, so I'm no help there.

Good for you on the vite D3. Keep after it. Are you supplementing dry vitamin A as well?

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

fatoldbat
on 6/9/11 2:50 am, edited 6/9/11 2:59 am
calcium - 9.3 (normal says 8.7-10.2)

the thyroid is monitored closely by my endocrynologist and was normal at my appt last month but don't show anything for thyroid on this lab result.....would it be called anything else....

what would the dry Vitamin A do?  i'll definately get the milk thistle and dry vitamin A....can i just get them from walmart or do i need to do anything specific for the WLS?

thanks for your input! 
Blessings,  J
HW 250.4/SW 238/1ST GOAL 155/2ND GOAL 150/CW 143.6
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
MajorMom
on 6/9/11 7:26 pm - VA
Dry A might be difficult to find at Walmart. You need dry vitamin A (palmitate) and most brick and mortar stores just sell beta carotene. We can't convert beta carotene to vitamin A without the duodenum in play.

Milk thistle can be found at VitaminShoppe, I'm not sure about Walmart.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

rbb825
on 6/9/11 6:44 pm - Suffern, NY
I really wouldn't worry about your MCV or MCHC since they are barely out of the range = they have significance depending on your iron, ferritin, RBC, hemoglobin and hemacrit levels. What were they?

Did you have any type of virus or infection when your labs were drawn?  A low lymph and high neuts tend to mean some type of infection, very often viral.

Your liver function is just little high, not much to worry about at 1 year out.  It tends to be due to rapid weight loss, being a PPI or cholesterol medication.

Your B12 is great and your D isnt' bad but could be higher.  You might want to take 5,000 units 4 days per week and 10,000 units 3 days per week.  Ideally we want our D levels between 80 and 100.

When Gina asked you about Parathyroid, that has nothing to do with your thyroid.  Parathyroid is a group of glands next to your thyroid that has to do your metabolism of calcium and is also affected by your vitamin D levels. So, with your calcium and D levels, yours is probably pretty good but it should still be checked because it directly impacts the condition of your bones.

As far as vitamin D, you don't want to be taking vitamin A unless you are deficient.  You need to have your vitamin A level checked at 6 months and then again atleast every 6 months if not every 3 months.  Vitamin A deficiency can lead to blindness and too much vitamin A can lead to toxicity.  We malabsorb vitamin A, so it needs to be tested.  I became deficient at about 5 months out and have been taking large doses of dry vitamin A ever since.  We need dry vitamin A and dry vitamin D in order to absorb them.

You also need vitamin B1, folate, selenium, magnesium, zinc, copper, vitamin B6, vitamin E, vitamin K, protein, albumin - there are others but these are the most important.  It is hard to tell what you had done based on the limited things you listed.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views