WLS Friendly Cookout Food Ideas

Mara C.
on 6/13/11 1:19 am - Millbury, MA
Hello Lightweights,

I am having a house-warming/ DD dance recital cookout next weekend and I am looking for some idea for wls friendly foods.  Of course, we'll have the burgers, dogs, potato salads, etc for the reg folks.  But there will be two of us there that had wls, and countless folks dieting.  Here's my thoughts so far:

Baked Genoa Salami Crisps
Tomato Mozzarella Skewers
Deviled Eggs
Marinated Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
Watermelon Salad

Anything you can think of that we could add that you like to have at cookout?
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Jody ***
on 6/13/11 1:30 am, edited 6/13/11 1:36 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
I went to a graduation open house last weekend, basically the same thing and they had a taco salad minus the taco shells, also baked beans, fruit salad - and don't forget the WLS friendly drinks.  I find cookouts always have soda or pop... I don't drink that anymore.  Ice tea, crystal lite, etc would be good too.  Baked chicken wings are usually a hit with all people.  They also had a deli tray which a WLS person could just pick the meat/cheese from.  Don't forget a veggie tray, pickles, olives, celery, carrots, various kinds of peppers... 

As a treat - how about the flourless PB cookies I've seen on here. I can't make/have them as they would be a trigger for me, but they would be great for a "once in awhile" thing.

I eat the hot dogs and burgers without the buns.  Also - what about shish ka bobs?  Meat, veggies grilled?  Love'em!! 

It was interesting watching the non-WLS people eat.  I still am fascinated at times with how much and what people eat - and I know I used to be like that too.

Have fun!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Stacey N.
on 6/13/11 1:31 am, edited 6/13/11 1:31 am - Chesapeake, VA
I made baked beans this past weekend and substituted the brown sugar for the splenda brand and used less ketchup. I am very happy with how it turned out. You can also do your veggie trays and substitute the sour cream for plain greek yogurt add the packet to the yogurt and mix. It is pretty good.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Just-Jenn
on 6/13/11 3:20 am - Midstate Region, PA
They also make ketchup low carb...pretty good.  I like stuffed mushrooms--put a blend of cheese in them, grill and done.  Yummy!  If you get portabella mushrooms they are huge and can be cut into pizza like slices.  I use plain Greek yogurt for substitutes---and do not get any negative feed back.  Good luck!

Proud Mom to Allen (20), Christa (14), Sophie (2), Stella (1).  and an angel 5/07

Mara C.
on 6/13/11 2:08 am - Millbury, MA
Great Ideas....thanks ladies!!!  You ROCK!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
Roz !!!!
on 6/13/11 10:11 am - Butler, PA
I'm not a cook but I enjoyed reading the suggestions.

Have fun!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

italianspice
on 6/13/11 9:44 pm - Eastlake, OH
If you have the grill going, I love to get slices of zucchini, yellow squash, peppers and onions brush with a little olive oil salt and pepper and grill until tender or how you like.
Sounds like you have a great menu so far!
Have fun!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...