Mindlessly eating.... yup, that was me!

Mara C.
on 6/20/11 5:24 am - Millbury, MA
I made a big mistake and sat here at my desk mindlessly eating animals crackers... oh probably a good two cups or so...  when I brought beautiful fresh cherries for my snack today!!!  I am upset with myself, but rather than throw in the towel like the old days, I am going to realize what I have done, and move forward with the rest of my eating plan today.  I am not going to let carbs beat me today and figure that the day is shot already so why not go off plan.... NO!  What's done is done.....moving on folks, nothing more to see here!!! LOL
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
newdirectionhome
on 6/20/11 5:51 am
 Atta-girl! What's done is done. Now enjoy your cherries and stay away from the cookies. 
 Wendy
5'3" SW: 210
Lynn5707
on 6/20/11 5:52 am - IN
Good job! That is something I am hoping the sleeve will help me learn to do!

Has your surgery helped with your mindless eating?
Mara C.
on 6/20/11 6:31 am - Millbury, MA
Hi Lyn5757,  The RNY has helped with mindless eating as far as the restriction feeling full soon.  But it is a mental thing I think, I was bored eating... I meant to have a few and craved more and just kept on eating, even though I knew I didn't want to do that....  This is something I think I will be working on for a long while.  At least I dump, so my trigger foods which are primarily sugary will make me sick to my stomach if I eat too much.  But, there are also those that "eat through the pain", and I don't want to become one of those!  My rule to myself is that I will eat as I should at least 80% of the time... my doctor said that was good and if I stuck to that rule, I should be successful.  I hope so, now that I am maintaining, I am scared the carbs and sugar are creeping back.... but I am stronger than them, I just have to get control over them and not let them control me!
              LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat      RNY Maintenance

"Create your day"
aspan
on 6/20/11 6:39 am
Mara, I know what you mean! I have been letting myself snack more and more now that my appetite is starting to come back..err, today I said I would put in an effortful to NOT do this and I have to say I have caught myself on several occasions grabbing something and then having to put it down...I went back to tracking everything on fitday too which is helping me keep focused...darn it im not going to get back into my old habits!! Enjoy your cherries and maybe try to shave off some carbs for what you had planned for dinner..
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Stacey N.
on 6/20/11 6:56 am - Chesapeake, VA
I know exactly what you mean, just because it is there does not mean it needs to go in your mouth UGH! This past weekend the caterers (sp) had the awesome looking brownies for everyone else, what did I do, picked it up and took a bite, looked down and said out loud "What the hell am I eating!" and threw it away. I took it because it was there and did not even think about it.... man the temptations can be horrible.

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Price S.
on 6/20/11 8:01 am - Mills River, NC
I've never been a snacker but I do have to be careful when I am somewhere there is food out that I could just pick up.  I was at a meeting this morning and there were all kinds of sweet rolls, etc.  I wasn't hungry but had to turn my back to them and pretend they weren't there.  It would have been harder if they were things I really liked.  I had several little desert items at a picnic over the weekend.  Each was small, but potent and I had several.  I gave myself permission to have 4, which was way more than I needed, and got that many.  I ate every bite but at least didn't go back and get more, which I wanted to do.  I could have stood at the table and just kept eating.  There are those times when my full button still doesn't seem to be working and there are no decernable full signals.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cricket2000
on 6/20/11 8:15 am - IN
Way to go with the attitude!  I'm moving on now right along with you.  

Went to a bbq on Sat night.  Did great there.  Didn't drink and ate just about what I had planned.  But they sent my husband home with a big doggie bag.  I'm fine with staying away from the fatty ribs but the beans....they are from heaven.  They taste like dessert so they must be loaded with sugar and fat, not to mention the carbs.  "Step away from the beans ma'am..drop the fork and just step away with your hands up."  I've been caught red handed.  I even found myself hiding them in the fridge.  Yikes.  It's embarassing to even admit. 

I had a decent loss last week which usually means that the scale willl stay put this week, so I should be more careful.  

Jody ***
on 6/20/11 9:52 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Mara hun - I'm right there with you.  Its not snacking so much as I like my beer - which is FULL of empty calories and carbs.  I've put some weight on and can see it, even though everyone still calls me tiny.. but I can see it and HATE it. 

As far as real snacking goes i bought a bag of Santinos tortilla chips on the way to Houston.  Every time I picked up the bag I berated myself but ate a few anyway.  I finally threw the bag away (of course it was 2/3 gone by then).  My last day of the trip that was the ONLY thing I ate besides my protein drink.  Bad...

No mindless snacking for me on the way home.  I typically don't allow myself snacks in the car, even when I was fat.  A habit I never let myself get into.  I need to make good food choices too when I stop.  That was the hardest thing.  What's the options?  Gas station junk or fast food junk and I'm pulling a trailer, so i worry about getting in/out of places too.  I'll deal with it!

Good attitude - move on now - don't wait another day!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

RaggetyAnn
on 6/20/11 10:53 am
VSG on 02/15/11 with

so glad you posted this...
yesterday was my first experience of mindlessly eating since my surgery.... I still can't eat much at one sitting, but free ranging is another thing....

All the eating stemmed from my being soooo tired, and aggravated that people were at my house and I didn't have any alone time or down time since I came home from a week's travel.  So I just nibbled and nibbled and nibbled on things I had absolutely NO business eating.  

And I learned that Doritos go down easy.... OH NO!!

thankfully I still like sugar free popsicles more than anything, and while they do have some carbs, they're still safe for me.

thanks again for posting and reminding me to practice HALTing before I eat.  If I'm Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired  I need to be extra careful what I put in my mouth.  (I don't have hunger feelings yet, but I do get "the empties" where I feel very weak.)

tracey 

RaggetyAnn  (I'm just a RaggetyAnn in a Barbie Doll world.)
hw: 216 sw: 200 cw: 156 dgw: 134 mgw: 124

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views