Hypothyroid and DS surgery

nmscuba
on 7/5/11 9:59 am - kingsley, MI
Ok, since im being a sponge and absorbing everything.  How does the DS surgery pan out being Hypothyroid?

Since this is the surgery im hoping to have will my dosage have to increase due to the malabsorbtion? or is it different for medicines?

Right now my happy number is 112 mcg daily.  I see my Endo on the 15th this month and will be letting him know of my plans with WLS but im curious as to what others have experienced.

Thank you
southernlady5464
on 7/5/11 11:03 am
I'm hypothyroid as well...taking both Synthroid & Cytomel (T3). So far my dosage hasn't changed but since we test every three months, things could change.

Dosage changes are 1) different with each med and 2) different for each person. All the doctors can do is know about your problems and keep an eye out for problems in lab work.

Also call your pharmacy and have the pharmacist go thru all your prescription medications and tell you if any are 1) extended release and 2) if hey all can be chewed, or cut in half, esp the first month. In this instance, asking your doc won't get you the correct answers like asking your pharmacist will, but you will need the doctor involved if any of them need changing.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MacMadame
on 7/5/11 3:58 pm - Northern, CA
Some people find their dose goes down as they lose weight too. Having it increase seem to be rarer.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

nmscuba
on 7/5/11 9:28 pm - kingsley, MI
Well thats good to hear, I was thinking my dose would have to go up.  But if it stays the same or lower that would be awesome.

I have one more question about meds.  Don't know if I should start a new thread or put it here so will start here.

I had osteopenia which was osteoporosis.  Been taking Fosamax weekly for about 4 yrs now and my tests are in the bottom of the green zone now for my bone scans.

Will the RNY or DS surgery affect this much, will that medicine still be absorbed too?
southernlady5464
on 7/5/11 10:39 pm
Have you had a set of labs drawn yet? If you have, post them in a new thread,  If not, when you do get a copy and post here on this board and ask for help. We have several people here who can help read them and make recommendations based on their own experience. They aren't nuts or doctors but some have been doing this for a long time.

Also ask your pharmacist about the Fosamax, don't know if that is an extended release or not but since it's weekly, my suspicions is that it is. Your pharmacist will know for sure.

Extended release and anything in an oil based formula will not get absorbed properly by our system (either DS OR RNY). That's why DRY D3 is the only form of Vitamin D we should take.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

nmscuba
on 7/6/11 8:53 am - kingsley, MI
On July 6, 2011 at 5:39 AM Pacific Time, southernlady5464 wrote:
Have you had a set of labs drawn yet? If you have, post them in a new thread,  If not, when you do get a copy and post here on this board and ask for help. We have several people here who can help read them and make recommendations based on their own experience. They aren't nuts or doctors but some have been doing this for a long time.

Also ask your pharmacist about the Fosamax, don't know if that is an extended release or not but since it's weekly, my suspicions is that it is. Your pharmacist will know for sure.

Extended release and anything in an oil based formula will not get absorbed properly by our system (either DS OR RNY). That's why DRY D3 is the only form of Vitamin D we should take.

Liz

Well my lab results came in today and they were suppose to fax them, I talked to them at 4pm and they said they would fax them as soon as we got off the phone, Guess they forgot so a phone call is in order tomorrow or I will go pic them up.

The fosamax is not extended release. Its quickly absorbed into your system and you don't eat anything for 30 to 60 min after taking it and you can't lay down either, plus they tell you NO calcium on the day you take it which is only 1 day a week. It is also a solid pill

I tried the once a month stuff but it really caused me some serious back pain which is a side effect, so the once a week is what works with no side effects.

Good to know about the oil base,,  Oh they did tell my my vit D is low 23 was the level on that.  I had kidney stones last yr, first time ever and my dad only had them once too. But the Drs think it was from takiing calcium supplements and Vit D which is known to cause stones once they found out I has osteopenia. 

I took those for 2 yrs, 600 mg of Calcium and 400 of D in the am and again in the pm.  The calcium already had around 300 of D in it give or take.  But I also was not drinking much water too.  So they think the whole combonation lead to the stones and told me to stop all of them

So now I drink 3 glasses a day of Almond Silk, god I love that vanilla and chocolate stuff.

Which lab numbers should I post and where should I post them?

Thank you
southernlady5464
on 7/6/11 9:15 am
On July 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM Pacific Time, nmscuba wrote:
On July 6, 2011 at 5:39 AM Pacific Time, southernlady5464 wrote:

Liz

Well my lab results came in today and they were suppose to fax them, I talked to them at 4pm and they said they would fax them as soon as we got off the phone, Guess they forgot so a phone call is in order tomorrow or I will go pic them up.

The fosamax is not extended release. Its quickly absorbed into your system and you don't eat anything for 30 to 60 min after taking it and you can't lay down either, plus they tell you NO calcium on the day you take it which is only 1 day a week. It is also a solid pill

I tried the once a month stuff but it really caused me some serious back pain which is a side effect, so the once a week is what works with no side effects.

Good to know about the oil base,,  Oh they did tell my my vit D is low 23 was the level on that.  I had kidney stones last yr, first time ever and my dad only had them once too. But the Drs think it was from takiing calcium supplements and Vit D which is known to cause stones once they found out I has osteopenia. 

I took those for 2 yrs, 600 mg of Calcium and 400 of D in the am and again in the pm.  The calcium already had around 300 of D in it give or take.  But I also was not drinking much water too.  So they think the whole combonation lead to the stones and told me to stop all of them

So now I drink 3 glasses a day of Almond Silk, god I love that vanilla and chocolate stuff.

Which lab numbers should I post and where should I post them?

Thank you
Your D is not low, it's almost non-existent!!! DS patients need it up around 80-100 MINIMUM!!!

As for where to post your labs, here on the LW board but start a new thread and label something about lab help. That will get the attention of our lab gurus. And post every single lab you have...

Liz

nmscuba
on 7/6/11 9:22 am - kingsley, MI
Liz.

So whats the 25 number they said I need to be at? is that the norm number for people without WLS?

Now being as im new here go easy on me LOL  But help me to understand if 25 is considered normal levels why WLS patients need to be 80-100? Im starting to understand the malabsorbtion but I don't understand the high levels.

My next big question is do Dr's all understand this and know what these levels should be for WLS patients?  Like do they have to lists, the Non WLS and the WLS?

God I got so much to learn
southernlady5464
on 7/6/11 9:44 am
On July 6, 2011 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, nmscuba wrote:
Liz.

So whats the 25 number they said I need to be at? is that the norm number for people without WLS?

Now being as im new here go easy on me LOL  But help me to understand if 25 is considered normal levels why WLS patients need to be 80-100? Im starting to understand the malabsorbtion but I don't understand the high levels.

My next big question is do Dr's all understand this and know what these levels should be for WLS patients?  Like do they have to lists, the Non WLS and the WLS?

God I got so much to learn
The 25 is the absolute lowest a normal can go and they should really be at the high end, not the bottom end but unlike those of us with WLS, they still get vit D thru other sources.

About the only way we can get Vit D is thru Dry D3 or make it from sunshine. And 99% of us don't make enough from sunshine.

Normal for someone who hasn't had WLS is still in flux as lots of research is still being done and the labs haven't caught up yet.

Vit D 25 Hydroxy Test

The normal range is 30.0 to 74.0 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL).

Note: Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test results.

This tells me that your lab is using outdated lab values and you are actually low not normal.

As to doctors understanding these, they are surgeons not nutritionist and 95% of nutritionists don't even understand what a DS patient needs. We live off Vitalady's list of labs and targets to make sure we are as close to optimal range as possible. See this list for her Labs & Targets which are not medical recommendations but she HAS been helping the WL community for over a decade and saved many of us from bad labs and worse advice.

Most doctors THINK they have lists for the WL but it is at best, not enough.

My husband, cbramsey5898, had his 3 month labs drawn and they were better than a normal person's who had never had WLS and that wasn't our opinion but the opinion of Michelle (Vitalady)

She was here in our area about a month ago and while here, she looked at his lab work from 3 months ago and was VERY impressed. He takes everything. I have doubled my D and added more iron as both needed serious help. My B6 was high range but not over and knowing that too much of that can cause issues, I backed off on it. My B12 was 2000 last time I had it measured and normal is between 200-900 but it is a water soluble vitamin and going over is not a bad thing cause too LITTLE of it can be dangerous as well.

Liz

nmscuba
on 7/6/11 10:11 am - kingsley, MI
I have been chatting with your husband and he sent me vitaladys list and I do appreciate all the links and info you have given me.

I can't wait for my labs to get here.  Now how often do you have blood drawn to check these levels? Is it more frequent at first then over time slow down once they see your levels are maintaining?

Now does the Dr flip out when he see's 2000 for Vit B levels, High A levels etc? Im taking it that we have to know whats best for us and just get the labs and keep them where they need to be then.

Now i have another serious question,  What happens if something serious happens, a DS person ends up in the hospital for a lengthy stay, say you had a car accident or something.  How do you get the hospital to give you all the needed vitamins if say your not able to swallow them cause the conditions?

I ask cause my wife and I ride motorcycles and and would need to be prepared in the event something did happen?

Thank you again and again :-)  I can see after I get my WLS this forum is going to be for life too :-)
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 412 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 473 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views