Can someone evaluate my 1-yr labs???

peyton88
on 7/19/11 6:53 am - Madison, GA
Had my 1 year visit today and he went over my blood work that I got done last week.  Of course, all he said was that everything looked good and I was a picture of health....but I want a "keener" eye to look at these and see if I need to "tweek" anything!  Thank you in  advance!

Here are just the basics:

Glucose- 77
BUN- 11
Sodium- 137
Potassium-3.9
Calcium, Serum- 9.2
Protein, Total, Serum-6.9
Albumin-4.0
Cholesterol, Total 123
Triglycerides- 73
HDL Cholesterol-64
Iron, Serum-59
Iron Saturation-20
Hemoglobin A1c-5.1
Vitamin B12- 1793
Folate (Folic Acid), Serum- >19.9
Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy-56.0
Ferritin Serum- 87

There's a few more results but they are main platelets, white blood count, etc.

ANY RED FLAGS??????   I honestly don't know what half of these mean!!!
  HW/SW/CW/Goal.....219  / 206 /  122 / 130

MajorMom
on 7/19/11 7:40 am - VA
I sure wish these guys would check RNY and DS vitamin A. We malabsorb that too, just like D, E & K.

Iron markers look a little weak. How much of what kind of iron are you taking?

Protein and albumin look pretty good.

B12 is great!

Your D3 could be higher. You want it to come in around 100. How much are you taking now? You could easily take 10,000 to 20,000IUs of dry D3.

You should probably ask to have your PTH (para thyroid hormone) tested next time. It goes with your D3 and calcium. 

Your potassium looks a little low. You might want to tell him you'd like to supplement it and ask how much to take.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

peyton88
on 7/19/11 8:01 am - Madison, GA
Thanks Gina....
I am actually taking 9 of Vitalady's Dry 3 capsules (5,000IU) I take 3 capsules, 3X a day.  Someone on another board told me she makes a 50,000 unit capsule?  Might have to keep upping it!  I sure did think I was taking plenty. It must be super hard to absorb!

I recently switched to Vitalady's Tender Iron (60 mg elemental carbonyl iron with vit. C) ....I had been taking CVS Iron/Ferrous Sulfate.....I'm guessing that was not the right one?  Hopefully it will improve.

I obviously didn't get tested for Vit A but I recently started the Vitalady Vit. A supplement (because so many people on this board were taking it.)  I imagine it wouldn't have been a suitable level if it had been tested....I've only been taking the A for about 2 weeks.

I think I'm going to order the missing tests from my PCP later this week....back to the vampire labs!  I'll ask her about the potassium too.  I'll add a banana to my protein shakes too!!!
Thanks so much!

MajorMom
on 7/19/11 8:10 am - VA
Don't add a banana. Have you looked at the carb count in those suckers?  lol  You can get over the counter potassium in 99mg tablets. Just ask your PCP how many to take. I think a banana is 450mg of potassium. So, 4 tablets, but ask the PCP and tell her you don't want to add the sugar of a banana. 

Take 2 of those iron capsules and let's see if your iron and ferritin improves next time.

Keep doing what you're doing on the D3 and A. Give them some time. When you run out of the 5,000IU D3, ordering the 50,000IUs would be good. You could take them every other day or 5 days a week.

You might tell the PCP you think you might have a little night blindness and want your vitamin A tested. She may need a reason to test it.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

peyton88
on 7/19/11 8:18 am - Madison, GA
**Good point about the banana.....I actually LOVE bananas but they don't do right by me since the surgery....they REALLY tear up my tummy!

Thanks Gina!!!

Laurie M.
on 7/19/11 8:59 am - KS
Peyton please check the range of the lab the doctor used for your results. Each lab run a bit different. It should be to the right of your result.
example
Ferritin Serum.....87........range..x-----y

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 473 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views