Care giver ...worried & forgetful

STLfan
on 7/26/11 3:19 pm
Hi friends, been a bit absent as I have been trying to keep up with my wife's MS progression. She is now on the most aggressive treatment for MS available and it has slowed the exacerbations down. But she can barely function as fatigue is terrible and her bowels are causing pain and those meds are making her Ill as well. For the past year I have been doing all of the household chores, yard work,home maintenance and car repair.Not that this is complaint time but I find that I have been forgetting to do things I need to do for my health and it shocks me when I realize I have not taken my vitamins or protein shakes or even have not ate all day. Maybe at my advanced age I am just forgetting! (50). OK that's out of my system....hahaha.....Thanks guys for listening...... Friends forever....Jeff
Jeff                    
kelly_hope
on 7/26/11 3:23 pm - Marysville, WA
 Jeff, bless you for being such a loving and giving husband. You are giving of yourself, body and soul. I know your wife must appreciate it. 

Maybe you can set an alarm each day specifically to remind yourself to take your vitamins and have a protein shake or something.

I don't think I've spoken with you before on here, but you and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers.
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

STLfan
on 7/26/11 3:35 pm
Thanks Kelly, such kind words! My last labs were in may and were fine so I hope I didn't screw up. It's sure a pleasure to meet you I have been absent but had been a regular until about last January or so. I love my friends here and can count on them when I need help. These are my friends forever and hope to see you around as well. When I spend a little time here I find that I remember myself a bit more so I should try harder to get online. thanks again ....Jeff
Jeff                    
Karin @)-;-'--
on 7/26/11 5:55 pm - Melbourne, Australia
Jeff, I'm fairly new here and wow I have to take my hat off to you for being a wonderful supportive husband that you are.  Your wife is truly blessed to have a man like you as her caregiver in her darkest hours.  Hugs & love to you both. (((Hugs)))

Cheers from Karin (in Oz)

LilySlim - (qEqi)

MajorMom
on 7/26/11 7:20 pm - VA
You're a good man, Charlie Brown.  I can't even imagine all you and your wife are going through but my heart goes out to you both.

I think you've gotten some great advice about setting reminders to help you get on a schedule to take your vitamins and drink shakes and such. Do you also try to separate them out for the week in a pill sorter? Takes time but it may help.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 7/26/11 9:45 pm - Mills River, NC
Jeff, glad you are around sometimes if not more.  I'm swinging for you and your wife.  50 is young and getting younger.  At least you aren't carrying all the extra weight as you are house, yard, etc keeper.

I try to work my vits and protein into my routine so they are hard to forget.  Vits before brushing teeth, caluim when I start drinking again after meals, 20oz of fluid between each meal.  Doesn't help when the routine is off like last weekend, but for normal times, sure helps me stay organized.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

italianspice
on 7/26/11 11:23 pm - Eastlake, OH
So sorry to hear about your wife's MS. Sounds very stressful, I cant even imagine.

Make notes, set alarms, love my weekly pill holder, and whatever little tricks will work for you.

If you want to be able to continue to be such a wonderful hubby   and caregiver keep good care of yourself!

At 45, I now have a little planner with all my little lists, for the ole memory just aint what it used to be!

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

Jody ***
on 7/27/11 12:40 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Hi Jeff!  Glad to see you back but so sorry to hear about your wife's MS and the complicsations she's having from her meds. 

I have a pill organizer (weekly) I use too.  If I don't fill it religiously, I don't take them... 

Now, I've been very forgetful too and started taking a fish oil that is high in DHA.  I can tell when I forget it (haha) and the "fogginess" seems to have improved a lot.

I know, its something else to remember, but maybe it will help.

Hugs and prayers going out to you and your wife.

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

STLfan
on 7/27/11 2:22 am
Thanks friends! Good ideas and one I can do is set the phone alarm for my morning and evening vitamin and protein taking. I forgot that it will set up an alarm to ring everyday. Kinda kidding about being old ,but I sure do feel younger without those extra 110lbs. I must confess that part of my problem is that years ago I had a TBI when involved in a head on crash with a semi-tractor trailer that is a bit debilitating. Mostly thought I just couldn't remember names or scripture but it seems to be creeping in on other areas. I hope I didn't sound to pitiful last night ....I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed about things. I would never had been able to keep up with things with extra weight and feel fantastic health wise the co-morbidities are under check and I take no meds for those. You all are so awesome and I realize how much I miss you when I stay away. BTW I may have told you but my good friend has revised from lapband to DS and is doing very well. He was the one who took me to his group meetings where I met all types of WLS people and helped me decide on surgery. Gotta go Sandy has an appointment at 1 so much to do before. I will try to do better and find time to come see all you wonderful people. ......Jeff
Jeff                    
lerkhart
on 7/27/11 2:39 am
Jeff, I'm so sorry about your wife's MS and the complications she is having.  How fortunate she is to have a loving husband to take care of her.

I can never remember if I took pills or not, so I have to have the daily pill box so I know when it is empty I have taken them all and if there are pills in there - I'm not through for the day!!

Good luck.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views