Mindless eating leads to SEVERE pain..

Amy P.
on 8/31/11 1:41 pm - Liberty Lake, WA
Wow....did I just learn my lesson.  After work I needed to run my daughter over to sign up for her Awana class. She wanted a hot dog so I heated up a chicken/apple sausage (which I have had before but had always cut it up). On the way driving I was taking bites of mine and apparently didn't focus on chewing.

About 20-30 minutes later I was standing in line and started feeling really bad and broke out in a sweat. I laid my papers down and briskly walked to the bathroom. That didn't help and while I was in there I decided I needed to lay down before I fell down. I went out to my car and I don't remember much after that. 

The pain under my sternum was horrible. I couldn't get comfortable. I would sit down, then have to get out of the car doubled over. I called my DH in a panic and he drove 90mph 15 miles to where I was. After  I called him and in between prayers I put 911 into my cell and was waiting to push call if it didn't stop. At this point I was really scared.  I got out again (yes, it is pouring down rain) and kept trying to wrech and hurl while doubled over. It must have dislodged it as thing started to calm down.

By the time my DH got there, I was still as pale as a ghost and wringing wet.  Now my chest is so sore....feels like I pulled a muscle! I now know what getting food stuck feels like and I will NEVER let this happen again.

Does this lessen the further we get out from surgery? I normally chew, chew, chew but I must have not chewed enough. 

HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

MajorMom
on 8/31/11 7:14 pm - VA
I'm so sorry that happened to you and I hope you feel better today. I have a feeling you're going to be sore and feel a little off, but back to normal fairly quickly. Swinging lizards.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 8/31/11 8:46 pm - Mills River, NC
I haven't had it as bad and it sounds like yours was but I have had 2 incidents that involved steak and eating too fast, not chewing well enough.  Yeah it took me 2x to get the picture.  Hasn't happend in quite a while but I don't know if it gets better or I just learned my lesson.  I do eat much faster than I did right out of surgery and I don't chew, chew, chew as I know I should.

I do also keep papaya enzymes at home, guess I should keep some with me too.  It does work when something is sitting really heavy in my tummy but I haven't tried it for something stuck.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 9/1/11 10:24 am - PA
Price
That's a wonderful idea.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

lerkhart
on 8/31/11 10:43 pm
I've had it happen two or three times(slow learner).  Not as bad as it sounds like you had it. 

Did you have the foamies also?  I keep the papya enzyme tablets with me also, it takes a lot of them sometimes to do the trick.  One time I decided to drink some water to see if it would wa**** on down - wrong....  it made me sooo sick.

I bet you will be really sore today.  Be gentle with what you eat/drink today.  Hope you feel better soon.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Mrs.M
on 8/31/11 11:40 pm
Oh I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience.  I've had the burning pain that feels like I can't breathe but it sounds like you got the worst of it.  I'm thinking we always will have a greater potential to hurt than someone without the surgery but we get more careful after a few bad incidents.  Hope you feel better soon.
Janet

aspan
on 9/1/11 8:02 am
Im sorry you had to go through that..it IS incredibly painful! Happened to me the first time I ate a "soft" food..thought I could eat an entire egg in one sitting....I think some foods are just harder for us to digest then others and maybe its just figuring out what works for us and what doesn't..maybe you can't do that type of sausage..or just ate it too fast...
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Kermit P.
on 9/1/11 9:53 am
Scary!  But glad you are okay.  I havent experienced as bad as you but two weeks ago I ate a serving of baked potato chips  (poor judgement) and man did I have the foamies, dry heaving and horrible nausea.  Papaya enzymes didnt help and finally I tried to take some phenergan and then I vomited that up along with the powerade zero I drank it down with.  Miserable......SOOOOO glad it passed for you and this is a reminder to chew well and eat slow.

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Eliza55
on 9/1/11 10:23 am - PA
I'm hoping I can learn from this, but I will probably make my own mistakes and learn the hard way!!

Glad you're feeling better.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

ruxanby
on 9/1/11 10:38 am
I too have had this happen.  It is horrible, never at home always at work especially when I work through my lunch. I eat too fast and don't chew enough. I keep papaya enzymes in my purse. Sometimes have to take 5-6 of them but it gets the food to pass.  You will be sore for a few days. I could only eat soft foods after it happened to me (about 4 times!)  Very slow learner!!  Hope you are feeling better.

Sheri
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...