Non Dairy question

nmscuba
on 9/20/11 9:46 am - kingsley, MI
Ok, let me start by saying at the hospital the gave me unjury with non dairy that tasted outstanding, It was thick, creamy chocolate.  I asked them what they mixed with it and they said it was non dairy since I was lacktose intolerant and they said I could use fat free lactaid.

So now im home and I bought the fat free lactaid and it taste great, BUT it gives me gas and right now I don't need gas LOL and its still MILK

The non dairy in the hospital did not give me gas.  SO, what is the hospital using for the non dairy?

I have looked up the Silk products which I loved the Almond Silk in Vanilla, but it has more fat and carbs than the lactaid.

Does anyone know?

Thank you
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
MajorMom
on 9/20/11 9:52 am - VA
I wish I knew, that sounds interesting.

Almond milk in plain might work or Soy in plain as well. Just look at the carbs and don't worry about the little bit of fat at this point.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 9/20/11 10:43 am - Mills River, NC
Before surgery, soy gave me gas.  Now, i have gas no matter what.  I used unsweetened soy and like it.  Less carbs, etc.  There is a Rice milk and the almond milk.  I haven't tried either of those.  Seems like the protein wasn't as high or the carbs were more.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

nmscuba
on 9/21/11 12:03 am - kingsley, MI
Well I figured the only way to get to the bottom of this was to call St Marys Hospital and ask them. So they put me though to the kitchen

They said they use one of two products. Either Dairy Ease or Light Soy Silk.  She said that I most likely got the Dairy Ease but could not say for sure.  From looking at the Nut info on both sites the carbs, sugar and calories are less with the Silk so I think I will have my wife pick some up for me today to try on her way home from work.

The Silk says on the box its NON dairy, where the Dairy Ease says its Latcose Free Milk so I can't imagine that it would be much different than Fat free lactaid milk

silksoymilk.com/products/silk-light/original

www.dairyease.com/products/fatfree.html
Tony,

Surgery Date 9/16/11, HW 260lb. Currently 207 lbs, SW 241 Goal 190lb.  5ft 9.5 inches        
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 1:50 am, edited 9/21/11 1:52 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Hey Tony, I use unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk, I like it better than the Silk.  Carbs are 3 per cup if that is an issue, adn 35 or maybe 40 calories per cup, edit to add, fat is 3 g per cup if you are watching fats.

I use it in savory things too.  I find teh unsweetened vanilla almond milk at Walmart even for about 3 bucks - and not sweetened, you cant taste the vanilla. 
ruxanby
on 9/21/11 1:30 pm
I use the Light Silk Vanilla.  Can't always find it, but there is a light version if you like the vanilla. 
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

nmscuba
on 9/21/11 10:34 pm - kingsley, MI
For what its worth, I got both of them yesterday afternoon and the Dairy Ease which tastes great is no different than Lactaid, still gives gas.

The Soy Silk Light tasted good mixed with the protein and NO GAS.  I could also tell from the taste that is what the hospital used.

As for others responding, I do love all the silk products, Esp the Almond Vanilla and Chocolate, but because they are higher in sugar and such im staying away from them.

Due to me being type 2 diabetic they reduced my meds from Metformin and Acto's to just Actos and when I do the Lactaid or Dairy ease I test at 105 two hrs after drinking it. With Silk I test at 94 and silk has half the sugars and carbs so thats what im sticking with for now.
Tony,

MacMadame
on 9/22/11 3:27 am - Northern, CA
I use unsweetened soy milk in things and that has hardly any sugar. I don't know if Silk makes an unsweetened version of their soy but other brands do.

I started buying it because I was putting the soy milk on cereal and cereal is already pretty darn sweet. I didn't feel  like I need to add *more* sugar to it. But I use it in all sorts of things now and I don't miss the extra sweetness at all.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 288 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views