OT sort of... info meeting tonight

Ruthie D.
on 10/11/11 3:01 pm - Mayer, AZ
The patient advocate saw me when I was at the center two months ago for my 6 month check-up and asked me at that time if I would be willing to give a little talk at one of the upcoming information meetings for the public.  I said SURE, since I really want to share the good stuff about WLS and hopefully spread some of my enthusiasm around so that more who need the surgery will be willing to do what it takes to make it a successful surgery.

I didn't write any notes, just thought about the 5 basic things I was told to share, and all I did to prepare was to print off some slips with my email address and this website and our LW forum.  I was glad that 2 people took the slip when I offered and one woman said, "I'll take one!" from behind me.  I do so hope they'll email me and/or come to Obesity Help for some of their research.  I remember blurting out stay away from the main forum.... it is a dangerous place... and find a sub forum out of the long list of categories offered.  LOL

I don't remember anything else I said... and that sucks.   Another WLS patient with a year + under her belt had a nice tidy list of points to make that were very important regarding what life is like after surgery.  Me?  I just winged it and who knows what kind of impression it made. 

Hmmm... I think I'll just take the straight road and say, "Gee, if I don't remember then it must have been Gawd's words talking through me." 

Somehow I doubt that though.  You know me too well... 

We'll see if I get invited back or not.

G'nite all!  :-)
       LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
MajorMom
on 10/11/11 7:23 pm - VA
lol  Well, good for you!  Next time, if they invite you back, record it and see what you said.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Ruthie D.
on 10/12/11 1:21 am - Mayer, AZ
Oh gawd Gina... that might be proof that I really do have a multiple personalities.  rofl!
Price S.
on 10/11/11 8:38 pm - Mills River, NC
i'm sure you were great.  Good for you for sharing.  I've gotten so bladent lately that anytime someone asked how I lost the weight, I tell them "surgery".  I want folks to see the good side of it, not just the horror stories they hear.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Ruthie D.
on 10/12/11 1:22 am - Mayer, AZ
Exactly my sentiments Price!  I too smile and tell them I couldn't have lost the weight without surgical intervention!
Lee ~
on 10/11/11 11:24 pm - CA
LOL on not remembering what you said.  :)

How lovely that they invited you to come speak.  How smart of them!!!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Ruthie D.
on 10/12/11 1:26 am - Mayer, AZ
That's sweet of you to say so, Lee!  I tried my very best to stay out of "ego" so that I could deliver the message in a way that they would be receptive to.  Of course, when the short little five minutes was up, my stuff was at the podium and I was standing in front of it with my jacket thrown aside and arms up in the air.  They were laughing so I'm going to say it's all good.  lol  I dooo like to hear people laugh y'know.  ;-)
AnneGG
on 10/12/11 12:09 am
Good for you! I'm sure you spoke a lot better than you think!

I also speak for my doc at his info sessions. I think I've flubbed it, but get good feedback afterwards.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Ruthie D.
on 10/12/11 1:27 am - Mayer, AZ
Thanks Annie!  Do you do it regularly then?  Do you have a list of talking points?
AnneGG
on 10/12/11 1:54 am
My talking points:

"I did it for health but love the improved self confidence, ease of being in my shoes

Disease of obesity so complex and painful
Each person unique and different in what you experience and need

Surgery not a magic bullet or cure, but would do it again in a heartbeat- gives a great head start
Not the easy or lazy way out, either- takes hard work

Good for 4 months to a year until hunger returns
   Will still have small tummy  & malabsorption

Support: person, support group, get information, coaching, therapy-
so many of us have issues that contribute to causing the obesity in the first place, and they don’t get operated on

Lifestyle change
Exercise!!!
Eating differences
  Protein protein protein- hard finding protein powder I like
  Quality food
  Small bites, chewing, no drinking before, during, after
Water
Vitamins and supplements- routine & expense,        remembering times

Possible side effects:
Dumping
Nausea
Bowel ha*****anges
Gas
Hair loss
Baggy skin- won't have 16 yo bodies
Possibility of regain
Transfer addictions

Will go through stages of recovery- not linear

Need to develop empowering strategies:
Support, support, support
Don’t listen to your head
Process not perfection
Get out of your comfort zone
Vigilance
Persistence, get up again and again and again
No excuses- there is no “try"- just do it! Keep your feet moving
Charting and journaling weight, food intake, exercise

Mantras:
One day, one moment, at a time
I do what I need in order to do what I want"
~~~~~

Let me know if you see anything missing, please!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views