An About Face

kimberly_gr
on 10/23/11 12:25 am
I know many of you enjoy shopping at the Goodwill or Salvation Army for recycled clothes.  I've tried my local Goodwill store, but haven't had any luck in finding things.

Now I know that all Goodwill's are not equal.  My aunt always has good luck at her store.  While visiting with her this weekend I asked her to take me to her Goodwill store, and I hit the jackpot.  I managed to find a suit, 2 blazers, 6 skirts, 3 sweaters, and a shirt for my husband all for less than what I spent on 1 pair of jeans at Macy's 2 days before.

I'm a convert and will now hunt for other second hand stores.  The Goodwill I've tried in the past must just not carry as nice of an inventory as others.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

aspan
on 10/23/11 12:28 am
I have found that too..the goodwill next to my house doesn't have as nice stuff as the one thirty minutes away..but its the worth the drive to save some serious money. Especially when you are in the loosing phase..so silly to buy something that cost twenty or thirty dollars or more that you can get for under 5. Glad you hit the jackpot, I love that feeling!
HW: 260? SW: 242 Surgeons GW: 150 First GW: 140 Second GW: 130 CW: 122      
Kermit P.
on 10/23/11 1:51 am
I think I like Goodwill too much.

We have many here in town and some are better than others.  Some days I come out with one item and others 6-10.  I love "shopping" there and I worry a bit as I feel so good in there.  BUT,  I remind myself that I have done very well and bought used the entire way with my weight loss and am wearing clothes that fit (I was afraid I would do the baggy thing!).  I have always loved shopping and am not compulsive about it and am pretty thrifty.

I am glad you found a store that had great stuff.....keep trying different stores (when traveling this can be fun!).  I actually bought two coats for winter while on vacation in Virginia!

~~Jennifer
HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
Lee ~
on 10/23/11 2:09 am - CA
I think a big trick is which neighborhood the second hand store is located in.  People in different neighborhoods donate differently based on where they shopped in the first place.  I always shop the "designer" section.  It's funny what they consider designer which are simply labels like Ralph Lauren etc, but there can be good finds there.  They're generally pricier but better quality.  Last winter I got a stunning black coat by a Macy's designer for $9.99.  Several people have already asked for it when I'm done with it, but it's not gonna happen!  :)   That was in a neighborhood far from home where I go occasionally for an OH luncheon.

Last weekend I got a great red rain slicker with a blue plaid lining for $3.99 and a cool short hooded fleecy type jacket (perfect for cooler weather walking) for $9.99.  Way cheaper than a trip to a small shop.  I'm not a mall type person unless it's my favorite store "Kohl's"!

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

southernlady5464
on 10/23/11 4:55 am
Goodwill works...but it depends on the Goodwill store. The one closet to me now has a LOUSY selection. The one closer to town has an excellent women's section but sadly lacking in the men's. And the store we had in Oak Ridge was great...

But then we also had a place called "Nearly New" up in Oak Ridge that was much better quality. And down here where I am now, we have an Amvet's Thrift Store...and all vets regardless of status gets 25% off the marked price every day. In fact, I've gotten most of my winter wardrobe there. Found a great leather pea coat that fits beautifully! Marked 19.98, I paid 14.98 for it.

In fact as my dh says, he can't believe we actually spent $50 in there...yet we got LOTS of clothes.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Price S.
on 10/23/11 9:31 am - Mills River, NC
I had been picking up winter stuff all summer on my trips to Goodwill and other thrift stores.  When I finally unpacked all of it, oh, my gosh, I have tons of "new to me" stuff.  None of it was expensive, at most 3.75 a piece, but there sure is a bunch of it.  Now to figure out what to put with what.

And I agree, you do have to visit several because they aren't all the same.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views