OT: Gave my son the Heimlich!! (& small update on me)

kelly_hope
on 10/24/11 4:14 pm - Marysville, WA
Last night I had to give my youngest Alex (10) the Heimlich maneuver!! I had my iPod on, reading, lost in the world of the book when I looked up out of the blue.There he was, flapping his arms around, trying to gasp. I don't know how I got from the living room to the kitchen (having had back surgery three weeks ago), but I did. It took 4 or 5 compressions but the apple came out. All was well. I supported his weight as he gasped for air, praising God for my son's life. He's fine, tho he asked if he could skip the rest of the apple :] My heart and knees were shakey for hours. Thanks are all to God. Thanks to His mercy. I didn't sleep well last night. I stayed in the living room (nearest room to his****il 4:30 this morning because I couldn't stand to be far from him. The what-if's played in my head for hours. 

Today, we teased him about chewing his food better. Other than a bit of a raspy throat, he's fine. He did something for me today, handed me something I dropped and I said "you're a lifesaver". Very blase, he turned and said, "No, you are". It shook me up all over again.

All of it happened in a five minute span.. more likely less, but it changed everything.

My children seem so much more precious to me now, though I didn't think that was possible.

Update on me. I'm down 72lbs and kind of amazed. I haven't been this low in 11+ years. I had back surgery three weeks ago - today actually. And RNY 5 months ago today. I was so worried because I remember the last back surgery (11 years ago) taking away a huge portion of my life and being down for so long. This time, it's been a breeze! The RNY was much harder and more painful. I went in for my checkup and they told me I've been overdoing it and to slow down, which sucks. Literally walk around the house - if needed. That's it. Nap and rest, that's all I'm supposed to do until two months out. Ugh.

The good thing is that I haven't gained weight since the surgery which I feared. I've actually lost 6 or so pounds. The sucky part is that I want to try on some jeans and see how things are fitting, but I can't because jeans hurt my incision. Darn it.

I had gotten my lip pierced in July, but due to staying in the hospital longer than planned, it closed up. Hubby let me get a new piercing last weekend. I went from a labret in the center of my bottom lip to a hoop in the side. I like it. So does hubby.  

I guess that's it. I'm not online much these days, but I think of all you LW's regularly and toss around some cats for luck for everyone. Love and peace! 
 KELLY RNY  34yo 5'5" HW 288 SW 274 CW 188 GW 140

Ruthie D.
on 10/24/11 5:39 pm - Mayer, AZ
Goodness Gracious Sakes Alive Girl! 

That's all the best news I've heard lately!!

I'm so glad you posted.  Miss you! 

LIFE'S a REACH...    and then you FLY!!!   
           HW = 224, SW = 204, CW = 124, GW = 119           
Karin @)-;-'--
on 10/24/11 5:45 pm - Melbourne, Australia

Oh dear Kelly, I'm so glad your son is alright and no wonder you are shaken up.  My daughter did that when she was about 3 or 4 with a lifesaver lolly and that was upsetting for me way back then too.

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery from back surgery and so glad to see how much you have lost now. Just think of how much more your back is saying, "that's a lot of weight off my spine"  you are doing great. Keep on shining.

Cheers from Karin (in Oz)

LilySlim - (qEqi)

Price S.
on 10/24/11 9:09 pm - Mills River, NC
there was an angel in your house for sure. 

Congrats on your back surgery.  I'm hoping my knee goes as well.  You give me hope for a quick and smooth recovery with less weight on our joints.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Mrs.M
on 10/24/11 10:18 pm
Kelly,
Looks like RNY gave your son a life too.  You are definitely his angel and I'm so glad to hear you are both doing well.
janet

LinR
on 10/24/11 10:56 pm, edited 10/24/11 10:56 pm
Fantastic response on your side.  I'm sure you and your son will remember this forever.  They really are precious no matter how old they get.

Sounds like you've done well with your wt loss.  The wt loss with the back surgery should give you some great relief.  Take care.

Roz !!!!
on 10/25/11 2:13 am - Butler, PA
WOW...Great Job!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Eliza55
on 10/25/11 8:18 am - PA

Kelly

It took great control during a very scarytime for you to do this.  My daughter did it for my son once, and I'll never forget it. 

It is such a simple maneuver that everyone should do it.  You've shown it saves lives.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

italianspice
on 10/25/11 9:46 am - Eastlake, OH
Glad to hear your son is ok.
Thank goodness you knew the manuever!

What a great lifesaver you are!

Hope all is going well after your surgery.

~Maria
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views