One-year Out Update (Long)

kimberly_gr
on 12/10/11 8:33 am
I'm actually a little past that one-year anniversary, and have not been posting till I sifted through some stuff in my mind.

So far I'm not doing bad. I'm not one of those people that reached goal, let alone quickly.  I'm at 130 right now and wearing a size 4 for the most part.  My goal is 120, but I'm thinking that's probably a little aggressive for me.  I might revise to 125.  My weight still seems to be going down, but only an ounce or 2 at a time.  It's very slooooooow.

I think I didn't reach goal yet for 2 reasons: 1) I had a serious lack of energy for about 7 months after surgery, and didn't hit the exercise hard, and 2) I have to eat often to keep my hypoglycemia in check.

Please don't think I'm disappointed--if I never lost another ounce, I'm very happy.  I look good, feel good, and have more stamina.  I just want to lose a bit more in case I have some bounce-back weight.

I've been going through a bit of depression because we were told a few weeks ago that my step-daughter, her husband, and granddaughter will be moving quite a distance away.  They have our only granddaughter, and I've been in mourning.  When she was first born, they lived far away, and it boiled down to us visiting them once a year, and they visited us once a year.  I've been spoiled for the last year having lots of access, and we'll miss her dreadfully.

With that news, I've still been good about going to the gym, but I haven't really been trying to watch my calories for weight loss.  I'm not eating crazy, but if I want to lose those last few pounds, I have to really limit calories.

I had my one-year out checkup with the surgeon, and he was extremely pleased with my progress.  My labs came back in pretty good shape, except for my cholesterol levels.  With my family history of heart disease, I'm sure my family doc will put me on meds for it.  I asked him to not put me on them at my last visit about 6 months ago, but it's not going down despite everything.  Doc thinks it's a hereditary thing.

The nutritionist thinks I am not done losing, but probably lose
only a pound or so per month at best.  The surgeon is encouraging me to explore my options with a plastic surgeon, and I might consult with one, but I'm not feeling very compelled to go for plastics. (I reserve the right to change my mind.)

Okay, that's it that's going on with me.  I'm sorry it was long-winded.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Stacey N.
on 12/10/11 9:41 am - Chesapeake, VA
Sounds like you are doing pretty amazing. I didnt hit my goal at my year mark wither but finally got to it a few weeks ago, if you continue to eat the right way and stick to plan, you will hit your goal too. Sorry about your children moving away, I do not have grand children but I am dealing with my oldest moving on to college, I know not the same but I think maybe just as hard. Hang in there, you are doing great and have already done amazing!

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

kimberly_gr
on 12/12/11 8:47 am
Thank you for your encouragement.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Eliza55
on 12/10/11 11:16 am - PA
Kim

Sounds like you're doing great - keeping to the plan for the year is successful.  My cholesterol is still up, and I'm taking a statin as well, so you're not alone.

It's sad that you're stepdaughter's family is moving away.  You certainly used the correct word, when you said that you're in mourning.

Take care, and I hope the next year is as good as this year.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

kimberly_gr
on 12/12/11 8:49 am
Thank you. I wanted to avoid the statin because I just wanted to think of myself as being totally healthy, but I have to face the facts.
Kim
5'0"

Price S.
on 12/10/11 11:29 am - Mills River, NC
Sounds like you have done great.  I understand the depression and loss of your gd with distance.  That has to be difficult.

Instead of cutting caloires, you might see what happens if you raise your protein and cut your carbs.  I know when I did that, my loss continued eventhough the calorie intake was the same.  I still eat 4-5 meals and several protein drinks a day.  I think you can do both, eat frequently and still lose. 

Some of us just have cholesterol issues that are genetic and will have to be on meds no matter what we weigh or eat.  No shame in that.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

kimberly_gr
on 12/12/11 8:54 am
Thanks Price. I think you're right that increasing protein and cutting carbs works well, but it doesn't work real well with my hypoglycemia.  When I cut carbs I tend to become foggy headed, and if I really cut them out, I can even get sick to my stomach.

I think the cholesterol is definitely genetic in nature.  My parents both had heart attacks in their 50's, and I could recite all kinds of heart stories through my family tree.  I think I carried so much guild over my weight, I though I could get rid of that problem with the weight loss.  It's funny, when you're obese, the docs tell you to get rid of it through diet and exercise.  Now that I've accomplished that, I get the talk about family history.
Kim
5'0"

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/10/11 6:32 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
You have done so well!!!! I hope I am able to lose 85 lbs in one year!!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

kimberly_gr
on 12/12/11 8:55 am
You'll be certain to do well if you have your head on straight. WLS is a marvelous tool!
Kim
5'0"

MajorMom
on 12/10/11 6:46 pm - VA
Happy surgiversary, Kim. I hope if the kids have to move, they'll plan more visits and ways for you to see and talk to your grand baby more often...maybe a web cam set up.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!