How do I tell people to mind their own business?

Kaysmommy
on 1/10/12 4:22 am - Silver City, NM
I know I look good.  LOL.  Im fitting into size 8's weight about 152 today.   Ive never been this size, so I know I look super skinny to everyone that knows me.   Im just tired of hearing that I look so skinny, and I can stop losing weight now.  Its hard because no one understands that Im going where my weight loss takes me.  If I stopped losing weight today, I would be happy.  But Im still losing about 2 pounds a week, and am happy with that.  My husband (of course only sees me on the computer) is enjoying how I look, and is happy Im still losing because I am.  I just know that some of the people who are saying this I care about so much, and love me too.  I know they all were so worried when I had all my complications with my surgeries and just want the best for me.  I just want to be healthy, that has always been my number 1 goal.  Of course Im enjoying how I look and shopping.   Talk about shopping, I stumbled across clearance jeans at $2.97 a pair today at JC Penny.  So I had to buy some.   I got a couple 8s, 6s and 4s.   I know I may never get to those 4s but for that price, I couldnt pass it up.  

So how do you deal with the comments?  I just want to make sure the people I care about understand that I am healthy and happy.   I have a check up with my surgeon today, and Im actually excited about going.  I cant wait for him to tell me Im normal.  Never in my life have I had a doctor tell me I had a normal BMI.  Im interested in hearing if he has a further weight loss goal for me.  He always just wants his patients to be in the normal BMI range, so Ive surpassed that.

Sorry for my ramblings today.  
Aimee 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Jody ***
on 1/10/12 5:07 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
When you get those comments just smile and say :I'm thrilled with where and I'm at and yes, I'm done losing"... they don't need to know what your ultimate goals are. They just aren't used to seeing you like this and its different for them.    Heck - last time I saw my Mom she said "you still losing weight?" I had to laugh because I've gained 10 lbs!! 

When I started saying that, I lost another 25lbs.  Easier to do than to try and justify why you want to lose more - they don't want to hear that. 

Congrats on the super finds at Penneys!  You will be surprised when you DO get into those 4's... I was told early on that I would be in a 4 too, and I almost busted a gut laughing.. did end up in 2's, now in 6's. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Stacey N.
on 1/10/12 6:52 am - Chesapeake, VA
Im with Jody on this one, I just smile ploitely and say yes I am. Never teling them that I want to get even lower just for bounce back. They truly dont understand and to them you are too skinny and dont realize it is about health....
Congrats on thse finds and yes there is no reason why you can wear that 4!

HW-220 SW 205 4'11"

Roz !!!!
on 1/10/12 8:59 am - Butler, PA
Congrats on your Successful Weight Loss!!!!  

It's perfectly normal for those closest to us to worry.  It happens so fast that they haven't had time to adjust to the new you.  Now when I look back at pictures I realize that I did look a little pale and maybe a little too thin but that goes away once you aren't losing anymore and the weight redistributes.

Whatever you do DON'T go on Maintenance too early to please others!!!!!  It is my 2nd biggest regret (first is waiting until I was in my 50's to have surgery).  The scale started to scare me so I increased my calories so I wouldn't lose any more.  

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

hollykim
on 1/10/12 9:11 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
You can sweetly say" thanks so much for your inout. My surgeon is aware of my progress and is advising me about that."

Price S.
on 1/10/12 8:18 pm - Mills River, NC
Amazing that they didn't say, don't you think you are fat enough now when we were gaining weight?

We have to remember that most of the US and now most of the world, I imagine, isn't normal BMI.  We have forgotten what that looks like on others as well as on ourselves.  So when we get skinny, the first thought is that we are sick.  We just need to assure folks that we are healthy and our doctors are thrilled with our progress.  I have been telling folks for months I am done, thank you.  Then I let my body decide when it was done.

Other than my knee surgeon, yes, going to the Dr these days and stepping on the scales is a blast.  I love it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Caitlyn_Cat
on 1/10/12 9:40 pm
I'm getting those comments frequently now, and yes they are somewhat annoying. (At least it's better than what my cousin said at Christmas after not seeing me for a year: "My G-d, you have cancer!"). To my concerned friends, who know I had surgery, I just smile and say everything is as at should be.

Height: 5'5" / HW: 223 / SW: 196 / GW: 125 reached 12/22/2011 / CW: 121    
Kiminey65
on 1/10/12 11:25 pm
RNY on 10/25/10 with
I most assuredly "get you", and also agree with what everyone else already said... As lightweights, we are the most likely WLS examples to actually reach goal weights. I hardly ever had a stall, although I easily slowed to 1 pound/week loss. Those 4-5 lb losses/week really added up. I reached goal by 7 months post-op which was 130#. I am now down to 124# and lower. So, once I was below 135# (And a size 6) I continually got the "you are too thin" comments...

I too was annoyed, but smiled and either denied that I was losing, stated I WASN'T annorexic (And in fact still LOVE food), am under not one but TWO doctors' care. My surgeon and my pcp. BOTH of whom are very happy with my progress. And I also state that at 123pounds I am thin. A size 4 mostly (Or 2!!!!) BUT would have to lose another 15 pounds to reach "underweight" status. I obviously am thrilled where I am, have no plans to lose even one more pound, and am happy at my current weight, because 5 pounds bounceback is normal and that will put me to where my original goal was.

I often still get the "you're smaller than I last saw you!"comments. Not true. I have been stable since September. I usually just stick to the "my drs. are happy" comment. Also, most people are just curious, so I try to stay positive, and educate. We have to remember that we "lightweights" are not the normal WLS recipients and a bit of an "oddity". It's also true that once you quit your rapidly losing phase, your gaunt face will bounce back. Mine is still thin, but no longer gaunt and I agree that does look healthier.

I am happy to hear of your excitement over the new "YOU". We've all done our share of self loathing to reach the point of undergoing surgery in the 1st place. You need to continue embracing the new and improved YOU. And come hear to vent anytime. We've got your back, and totally understand!

Kim

cheermonkeysmom
on 1/11/12 9:08 am - Smithsburg, MD
I get those comments all the time as well. I am not quit a year out from surgery and hit what was my personal goal several months ago. However I have lost more than what I thought. I think I am about done though as the last several weeks, I have been bouncing 2-3 lbs. My co-workers, all whom know about the surgery, makes comments all the time that I need to stop losing weight and need to gain weight again, I tell them, as many have said here, my surgeon is aware of my progress and is monitoring my weight loss. My doctor didn't set a goal for my hubby and I with our surgery, only she would like to see us lose 60% of our excess weight and she would consider us a success. We both have exceeded that. I am anxious to see what she has to say when we go for our year follow up.

Good Luck on your journey. Let it take you where it will. Enjoy the ride while you can because eventually you will have to become so diligent on what you are eating to maintain the weight loss that you have succeeded on having.
 Highest Weight - 220/ Date of Surgery - 194/ Goal Weight - 125 CW 122  2nd Goal - 115

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views