Agony and Ecstacy of Bra Shopping

kimberly_gr
on 2/5/12 3:43 am

With my weight loss I've had to buy a whole new wardrobe from a swimsuit to new winter coat. Strangely though, I only bought 1 new bra, and only did it because I needed a strapless and didn't have one.

This weekend I finally had enough and went on a mission to get a few new bras.  I went first to Macy's to be measured and shop. The lady told me I measured a bit smaller than a 34", but that 34" was as small as they went.  Funny to think I'm smaller than the smallest size.  I managed to find 4 bras that worked (3 on clearance). It seems I'm now a 34C or a 36B depending on the bra. My size before was a 38D or 40C. It's sort of like a double edged issue.  Yahoo because I'm smaller , but oh no, I'm smaller .

I also found some bras at Kohl's, and all together I bought 8--oh my gosh.  It was so fun to pick out pretty ones that never would have worked before.  However, it was brutal being so bare in a harshly-lit dressing room mirror seeing my extra skin.  I really don't want plastics; even if I were to decide that it was worth the money, I don't want another surgery EVER!  What I saw in the mirror made me think about it though.

When I was trying on one bra, I even contemplated just "folding" my boob into it.  That's just not normal.  I remember Tazz saying she doesn't want to do plastics because which body part to you pick?  All of my parts could use some help.

All in all it was it was fun, but hard.

Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Ladytazz
on 2/5/12 4:50 am
I have given up on bra shopping.  I hate them.  It's just me and my Genie now.  I haven't worn anything else since I got them.  My poor girls just hate underwires and straps and that stupid clasp in the back.  So far I haven't found an outfit my Genie doesn't work with and even if it shows it looks like a camisole so I don't mind it showing like I did with a regular bra.
If I could find $3000 lying around here I would get them lifted but since that doesn't look likely I will live with it.  The other good thing about the Genie is that they do minimize them, which may not be good for some others but I am good with it.  I feel almost normal with my double Ds.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

kimberly_gr
on 2/6/12 8:45 am
I remember your writing about buying those genie bras.  In the commercial, they almost look like an exercise bra, and I'm not sure that's what I want. 

At this point I think the last thing I need is minimizing power, but I'm glad they're working for you. You took a chance, and it's a good thing you liked them.
Kim
5'0"
"In two decades I've lost a total of 789 pounds. I should be hanging from a charm bracelet."  Erma Bombeck

Tonya499
on 2/5/12 7:32 am - Riverton, UT
 When I had my first baby, I went from an A cup to a DD cup.  When I stopped nursing, my breasts resembled a golf ball in a tube sock!  I am up to a DD now due to weight gain.  I am expecting the same thing to happen when I lose the weight.  That is one aspect of WLS I am not looking forward to.

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
kimberly_gr
on 2/6/12 8:46 am
Well going smaller has some good points. The bras I found were daintier than what I could buy before.  Very cute!  Good luck.
Kim
5'0"

Price S.
on 2/5/12 10:09 am - Mills River, NC
i'm definately a rock in a sock.  There is nothing but skin.  I pull it up in a genie or flatten it out in a sports bra but I need to go get something that will give me a little boob, fake, if I need something to look normal in a shirt.  I just can't manage to do that yet.  I went through many sizes on the way to here but I think now I would be a 34a, if I rolled them up and tucked them in.

DH still says we could get implants and pull up all kinds of extra skin, but if I got ones that big, I'd fall on my face.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

kimberly_gr
on 2/6/12 8:51 am
Price, you are too funny! I was rolling when I read your reply.  I have to tell you I saw some Maidenform bras in Kohl's that will add 2 cup sizes.  I wasn't ready to do that quite yet, but some of the others I bought have a little padding to make up the difference.
Kim
5'0"

gak
on 2/5/12 11:37 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 I also love the Genie bras for everyday casual.. For more of a shape I have the best luck with Bali bras. I think the secret is just finding what works for you and watching for sales.  I love it when Bali goes on sale. I stock up. 

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

kimberly_gr
on 2/6/12 8:52 am
Everyone keeps talking about the Genie bras. I'm definitely going to have to check them out.  I like the Bali's too, and bought 2 or 3 of them.  Big or small they've always worked for me.
Kim
5'0"

Panda ..
on 2/5/12 12:16 pm
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 490 views