Reflections at 6 months out

Eliza55
on 2/25/12 9:17 am - PA

It's been a little over six months since my surgery, and I thought I'd post some of my reflections.  (I'll post my labs next week when I get them so Gina can give me some advice).  I'm still in the malabsorption stage, so my big fear is regain.

The good

I have "me" back.  I'm able to do the things I love to do.  I'm an outdoors person, and like to hike, ski, canoe, backpack etc, and I was not able to do those activities because of my weight and heart attack risk.  Just today, I was outside, and thanking god and everyone else for this wonderful gift.  I work out 3 times a week, and started lifting weights for the first tiime in my life. 

I love fitting into seats on airplanes and in auditoriums.  Now there are many inches to spare for the tray table, and the seatbelt.

The one  food that I cannot tolerate at all is ice cream - guarenteed instant dumping.   That is a good thing!

I no longer eat in response to stress.

The statistics
I've lost 100 lbs,  have a BMI of 21.8 down from 37.5, and body fat percentage of 28%.  I fit into size 8 jeans (needs to be slim cut) down from a size 24, and medium tops down from 3X.   

The learnings

I'm understaning about my "tool", and how it helps me with weight loss.  I have great restriction, and measure my food so it doesn't give me pain later.  Because I'm such an expert on getting around diets, I have learned how to get around my tool by eating small amounts of useless carbs all day, so I need to watch out for that. 

I have also learned that wearing tight clothes affects my ability to eat anything, so I tend to wear loose clothes.  That lesson came while I was backpacking, and had the very tight belt to keep the weight of the pack on my hips.  It made it so I couldn't eat, and in the middle of a 33 mile trip, that was not a good thing. Skinny jeans can also upset my stomach.

I have found that when I'm dehydrated, I cannot tolerate food.  As I've become more active, it can be hard to maintain hydration.  When I'm dehydrated, I crave carbs - what's that all about???  Also those packets of oral rehydration salts are wonderful when mixed with 2-3 times the recommended amount of water.

I have found that sales people in GNC etc don't know their stuff.  I was sold some shakes that they said were lactose free, but sadly, were not.... I now stick to Unjury, Isopure, Lactaid, and Cabot reduced fat cheese.

The challenges
I still have many challenges to overcome - I need to continue to work on taming the CARB MONSTER, as that is still very much a concern.   I don't typically dump on sugar or carbs, so it's up to willpower to tame this monster.

I have to figure out what I can eat - I have good days and bad days, and I'm looking forward to a time where I have a routine on what works.  As an example, today, I dumped on blueberries, which I had been able to eat a week ago.  I listen to you all, and drink a couple of protein shakes a day, so my protein is at least 70, but I really don't like them.. I like the fruit-flavored Nectar shakes, but can't tolerate more than 1 a week or so.  As of now, the foods that give me trouble include all citrus, chicken, beef, shellfish, cod, beans, nuts and seeds, greens like lettuce, and most raw fruits and vegetables. 

I get hypoglycemia, so I need to be very careful to eat enough before exercise, and to stop often for snacks.  I had a couple of very scary experiences after significant exercise when I hadn't been able to eat much.  This is not reactive hypoglycemia due to eating carbs,  - in all cases I hadn't been eating carbs beforehand.  I get very disoriented (not a good thing while backpacking in the wilderness....) slurring my speech, and cannot function etc.  Luckily, DH has learned to recognize the symptoms and can get me to drink a little  protein with some sugar and salt in it, which takes care of the problem very quickly.   This has happened at the gym, backpacking, and also while skiing.

More decisions
I'm thinking about plastic surgery.  My face looks like a chicken, and I have bat wings (even DH thinks they are really outlandish).  My stomach and backside are a pile of wrinkled skin. My doubts about plastic surgery are the cost, and maintaining the weight loss.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Pretty_Pearls_3114
on 2/25/12 9:26 am
Congrats Eliza....You have done very well!!!!  Funny thing is I cannot handle ice cream either...wishing you continued success to goal....
Pearla                    
Eliza55
on 2/25/12 9:30 am - PA
Thanks for your encouragement.  I think it is good not to be able to eat ice cream - a great temptation is removed!
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

CherylR
on 2/25/12 9:28 am - Blue Springs, MO
Congratulations on your successful 6 months. Sounds like you have had quite a journey. You mention that you can only tolerate the fruit flavored Nectar shakes occasionally. What problems do they cause? Have you tried the 4EverFit Blast the Isolate protein? I love the cran razz, black razberry and mango flavors. They only have 1 carb and are really tasty. (IMHO)
You are really rocking your tool.
Cheryl
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
SW--235  Low Weight--145  Goal Weight135
Regain of 20 pounds--Getting Back on track

Eliza55
on 2/25/12 9:35 am - PA

My favorite Nectar is Roadside Lemonade, but it is too acidic for me to drink often.  Fuzzy navel is better, but my go - to drink when I'm having a hard time with food is Unjury Chicken Soup.  I think the salt helps.  I'll look into the 4EverFit - do you know if it is Lactose Free?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Eliza

Jody ***
on 2/25/12 9:40 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Congratulations on your success!  I too have hypoglycemia and found it interesting as to what triggers yours.  I don't do extreme exercise, but know now it's something I have to be cognizant of.

I now can eat some sugars - and more than I used to.  I'm still mindful because of the RH.  No one likes THAT feeling.

Maintenance is HARD.  Its good you realize you're still malabsorbing.  Fats is something we malabsorb but one day - don't anymore.  I still have the mindset "I can eat fat".. whereas I really shouldn't.....

Glad your hubby is onboard with the RH.  I had taught my ex-BF and his daughter how to test my sugar if I couldn't - or how to help me do it.  Neither of them were comfy with that. 

Plastic surgery - if you decide to go there, please be sure to PM me.  I didn't have face or arm surgery, but had the tummy tuck and breast lift/aug done.   The plastic surgery board is also a weatlth of info and the people there are great.  But - I had my PS, and I have gained 10 lbs since.  Where I thought I needed a lower body lift because of the sagging skin, isn't so much anymore.  It has filled in (ok, not happy with it, but it is what it is).  But - I DO look better without clothes - LOL.... and even in shorts.

Do your research before you decide to do it. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Eliza55
on 2/25/12 9:56 am - PA
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have been lurking around the PS board, but haven't posted much.  I'll keep in touch if I decide to pursue it.
Eliza

CherylR
on 2/25/12 9:43 am - Blue Springs, MO

As of 1/10 information taken from the manufacturer's product label currently in stock. Substitute product may be sent (without notice), but will have similar values to those listed below. **
4Ever Fit Fruit Blast the Isolate 2# - Black Raspberry
Supplement Facts
Form: Powder
Serving Size: 30
ServingsPer Container: 30
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 104    
Calories from Fat 0    
Total Fat 0 g 0 %
Saturated Fat 0 g  
+ Trans Fat 0 g  
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 1 g 0%
Sugars 0 g  
Protein 25 g 50%
Calcium 135 mg 12%
Sodium 75 mg 3%
Potassium 115 mg 3%

OTHER INGREDIENTS: Whey Protein Isolate*, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor, Blueberry Powder, Soy Lecithin, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Caramel Color.

Not sure if lactose free. Vitalady would know. I also am able to buy it at Vitamin Shoppe. Here is the nutrution info on the Black Raspberry
Cheryl
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
SW--235  Low Weight--145  Goal Weight135
Regain of 20 pounds--Getting Back on track

Eliza55
on 2/25/12 10:01 am - PA
Thanks
The website says these products are low in lactose, so I'll give the sample pack a try.
Eliza

MajorMom
on 2/25/12 9:56 am - VA
Eliza, you've done a great job. You are doing this thing right and you think things through. Happy 6-month surgiversary. I'm looking forward to seeing your labs. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!