*NUTTY* nut!!!

paranoidmother21
on 3/6/12 1:38 am - Lake Zurich, IL
So monthly support group from my surgeon's office was last night for RNY/sleeve people (it was all pre- and post-op RNY last night, with about 10 people looking into it, another 15 or so in process, and about 25 post-op) and was led by a nut.  I did roll my eyes when I saw that, but hung around to talk with friends in the group.

The nut told us that we should eat no more than 6 oz of dense protein per day, and that beans or whole grains should make up the rest of our protein once we're able to eat what they consider a full meal. 

We should never, for the rest of our lives, eat more than 1/2 cup of food per meal, and a total of 1 1/2 cups of food per day.  Half of each meal is to be veggies and either a grain or fruit (so 1/8 cup of veggies?  One bean????)

We should never consume sugar substitutes, but become accustomed eating only naturally sweet things, including honey.

We should not consume any carbonated drinks because they can damage the pyloric sphincter at the juncture of the esophagus and pouch, causing gerd.

We should not drink for at least 30 minutes before meals, because that will fill our pouch and prevent us from eating what we should eat.

Products that list whey collagen as the primary source are good protein as long as they also have whey isolate.  She's not sure what whey concentrate is (my guess is that she's not sure what whey collagen is either).

Drinking 48 oz of fluids per day is ok, but 64 is better.  Any more than that is unnecessary.

B12, 500 mg per week is all you need.

Good vitamins are must - so take Flintsontes (?????????) 4x daily.

EVERY person uses 2000 steps to walk one mile.  Therefore, EVERYONE should walk 10,000 steps per day and they will all get in 5 miles.  She would not concede that that was an average, and that YMMV.

I could go on, but at that point, I tuned out and working on a sock cuff I'm knitting.

Gina, wanna move to Illinois and help reteaching?  At this point, I do NOT see any of the nuts in my surgeon's practice, and when I told him why, he sighed, nodded, and said that as long as I was followed by knowlegable people, that was fine with him. 

Thanks for letting me rant! 
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Ramie A.
on 3/6/12 1:50 am - Bronx, New York, NY

Shaking head, tearing hair out.
Thank god for OH!
I'm so glad you know better!
Lapband Nov 2006; revision to RNY 8/17/2011
5'3", HW: 205 / Consult: 189  /  SW: 184  /  CW: 140  /  GW: 130

MajorMom
on 3/6/12 3:01 am - VA
OMG! I need grid coordinates and I'll blow her away for you. 

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

paranoidmother21
on 3/6/12 3:16 am - Lake Zurich, IL
:::heaves sigh::: I am a certified pistol and rifle instructor - and I'm very proud of myself that I did not come home, open the gun safe, and make an appointment with her.

Thank any being you prefer for OH in general, and this board in particular!!!!!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

hollykim
on 3/6/12 3:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I would ask the surgeon why he can't hire some NUTS who know what they are talking about or give them correct guidelines for what he knows should be taught,just sayin... makes me glad I don't have one,lol.

paranoidmother21
on 3/6/12 12:18 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
I have - he's the surgeon, and in the hospital system I'm with, the dieticians are a different department.  He tells me has has weeded out the worst in the system - which really terrifies me!
Rebecca

hollykim
on 3/6/12 11:55 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
yeah pretty scary. my next question to him would be why not hire YOUR OWN NUTS that work directly out of your office and forget  those NUTS who don't know sheep **** from wild honey about bariaric patients!

lerkhart
on 3/6/12 4:47 am
WOW - I can't imagine how I have been successful - LOL!!

I hope no one else took her too seriously.  She could really mess someone up with her vitamin advise.  I have never heard of unnecessary fluids...

Sugar substitutes - I know I have way too many of them, but they have not hurt me so far.

That is not much food for us in maintenance.  Did she say anything about protein drinks??  I bet she hates those too.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
paranoidmother21
on 3/6/12 12:20 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
I'm afraid some of the newbies might have.

And yup - once you get your 6 oz of dense protein and a couple more from beans/whole grains (I seriously hope she just mis-spoke that one!!), you don't need anything else. 

:::rolls eyes:::

Where do these people get their degrees??? Their own printer???
Rebecca

Panda ..
on 3/6/12 5:31 am
If you could do all that, why, exactly, would one need an RNY (or whatever surgery of choice)?

This always amuses me.

The 1/8th cup of vegetables is hysterical. 1 bean. 1 broccoli floret. 1/2 inch strip of bell pepper. LOL

Duodenal Switch 3/09
HW 255/GW 150/LW 119/122

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views