had an epidural on thursday and practically pain free

rbb825
on 4/16/12 9:29 pm - Suffern, NY
Post Date: 4/15/12 9:50 pm
I am so excited - I went to the hospital for my epidural for L3-L4, they used a slightly different name (have to get the complete name on Tuesday) - they introduced me to the anesthesiologist and said I was going to be put to sleep and then my pain management doctor came in and I filled out all the forms. I got on the table = needed to be an acrobat to get into the position I think but they helped me and the next thing I knew it, I was awake and it was done.

I went home a few hours later. He did explain that he doesnt use novacaine in the injections because in many cases it causes patients to not be able to walk for several hours - you lose the feeling in your lower limbs. So, I agreed to that. I was walking fine, very little pain - much less than before. He said the pain might be worse the next day and to use ice that night and for the next few days if needed. He said it could be much worse for 3-5 days or improved right away. that night, I was overcome with exhaustion but no increased pain. I used ice that night and the next morning and DRUM ROLL PLEASE >>>>>>>>>>>>>> t

I am practically pain free already. I am almost afraid to jinx it but I have to tell - I know many times you have to go for 3 rounds of epidurals and if I do, I am fine but if it continues - I am done. I even have an appointment today  for physical therapy which I am not sure if I need, but I think I will go. I figure I could still use the range of motion for my hip and the extra exercise. Just had to tell. I am always giving bad news - finally have some good news for a change - YEAH!!!!!!!!

Saw my hematologist today and got a bag of IV fluid which gave me so much energy when I was done - I love going there - he gives them to me once per month for an extra boost.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that it keeps up.

italianspice
on 4/16/12 9:50 pm - Eastlake, OH
That is such great news! You have been through so much!
Will keep fingers crossed and critters swinging!

~Maria
Price S.
on 4/16/12 10:05 pm - Mills River, NC
Hurray.  You deserve good new! 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 4/17/12 12:04 am - PA
I hope the energy level and pain management work for a long, long time :)  It feels so great when you don't hurt.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Roz !!!!
on 4/17/12 12:56 am - Butler, PA
Great!  Keep us updated!!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 4/17/12 1:27 am
I am so glad this helped you and hope it continues to help with your pain.
Congratulations!!
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jody ***
on 4/17/12 3:55 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
Good to hear this update!  I do hope that it continues to work for you and doesn't wear off quickly. 

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

dasie
on 4/17/12 6:29 am

If all goes well, how long will the treatment help you remain pain free or close to pain free?  It sounds like you have an understanding pain management doctor.

rbb825
on 4/17/12 11:20 am - Suffern, NY
I will always have pain throughout my body between arthritis is so many of my joints, fibromyalgia, and degenerative disc disease/spinal stenois and multiple bulging and herniated discs but with the steroid injection I had in my hip last month and now the epidural, I am hoping that it should be alot better.  I saw the pain management doctor today and went for my PT evaluation.  The pain management doctor said that I have the optiion of  waiting awhile to see if the pain stays at bay or if it comes back - he said you can usually tell at around 14-21 3days = he said some people just opt for the 2nd injection just to give some extra steroids to bring down the  inflamation further - some research that this has longer success rate.  Due to some adrenal problems, my Endocrinologist wants me to see if need the next since my doesnt respond well to steroids - after my last injection -  my cortisol was unmeasurable.  So, I will give it 2 weeks and decide adn in that time, I will have 2 weeks of PT, see my Endocrinologist again and see how I am doing pain wise in my hip and if the radiating pain comes back but so far it is much better.

The PT eval was a bit brutal - I have used him for various things over the past.30 years - he knows me very well abd how my entire sketal system and joints work.  He has treated my back and knees many times - first time for hips.  I call him the man with the lethal thumbs.

he is aware of my incisional hernia and osteopenia so he said he will adjust my exercises accordingly so he wount hurt me any further. 

Lee ~
on 4/17/12 10:20 am - CA
 I'm so glad to hear this.  You've been in so much pain.  

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views