DS for Light weights????

caramela718
on 5/6/12 2:33 am - PA
Revision on 06/13/12
Hi Everyone,

I had the sleeve done in 2008, but apparently wasn't done correctly by the surgeon. I am scheduled to go to Dr Aceves in MX in June and I am indecisive about whether to get a re-sleeve or a DS. I want to lose this weight for good, but am afraid of losing too much weight. Can any DS veterans with a starting BMI of 35 and under give me some insight? Thank you...
southernlady5464
on 5/6/12 2:57 am
Well, I am close...my BMI when I signed into the surgeon's office (which counted for insurance) was a 203/35.2 but day of surgery was a 199/34.9...

I had the DS done on the 24th of Jan 2011. I chose the DS because of my need to take NSAIDS (on celebrex) and to give myself the best POSSIBLE resolution of diabetes without worrying about possible dumping.

I weighed 123/21.1 this morning and am bouncing between 122 and 125. I'm 5'4" tall.

Personally, I would go for the DS since it seems you need the malabsorption.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MajorMom
on 5/6/12 3:01 am - VA
You shouldn't lose too much. I started at 36.8BMI and have done fine. That's not saying that a few people have had trouble losing too much but most can be resolved when the surgeon prescribes Creon, a digestive enzyme.
I would really consider switching to Dr Ungson in Mex rather than using Aceves. I don't think the level of experience is there for Dr A. You may want to talk to the surgeon about the size of your sleeve in addition to switch portion of the DS. My surgeon uses a 60f bougie for the sleeve and gives everyone a 100cm common channel. Some surgeons will make the common channel a little longer for lightweights but if you have a larger sleeve, you'll want a common channel more like 100cm. Dr Ungson would have more experience in weighing which way to advise you.  Check out www.dsfacts.com for some great reference info and how to reach Dr U.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Ladytazz
on 5/6/12 6:03 am
I've heard that Dr. Ungson works with Dr. Aceves doing the DS at this point while Dr. Aceves continues to acquire experience and may be a good choice since Dr. Aceves is less expensive at this point.  I wouldn't consider having him do the DS unless Dr. Ungson was present.
As for getting a DS as a lightweight you should be fine.  I had a DS in 2002 and lost all my excess weight and then regained 100 lbs due to uncontrolled carb addiction.  I had a revision in 2010 to lengthen my common channel due to side effects, and also had my sleeve revised to a RNY pouch (don't ask) and now I have a common channel of 200 cc and I managed to lose too much.  Of course my surgeon wasn't really an experienced DS surgeon so there is no telling how he measured my common channel or what he did but I guess the point is, for me, it doesn't matter what WLS you have, if you don't deal with your eating issues you may not be happy with the results.  For me, in hindsight, I would have done well with a longer common channel and smaller stomach.  The longer common channel for me means no side effects and better vitamin absorption, although I have to completely avoid refined carbs.  The smaller stomach keeps me from feeling hungry and I am satisfied with smaller amounts of food.  Who knows, I may have done well with just restriction since I have never had a problem losing weight before when I cut my calories so I don't think my metabolism was too messed up.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

dasie
on 5/6/12 8:02 pm
This is why I love reading your posts.  You have abroad  perspective because of your history. 

Ladytazz
on 5/7/12 5:27 am
Thank you :)

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cricket2000
on 5/6/12 8:34 am - IN
 I had sleeve surgery by aceves with a bmi of 31.  I have not lost too much.  I am 5 foot 8 and 1/2 and weigh 131 to 133 depending on the day.  I wear a size 4 or a 6 depending on the item.  I would still like to lose 5 more lbs.  I am happy with the sleeve.  
K

HW 200, surgery weight 190, Goal Weight 140, Current Weight 140, Height 5 foot 8 1/2
Sleeve Surgery by Aceves on Feb 10, 2011

dasie
on 5/6/12 7:58 pm
I'd get the DS.  My surgeon told me if I got the sleeve and regained, I could easily convert to the DS later.  I was interested in the DS at the time, but they would not even talk to me about it because I was a lightweight.  I think that attitude is beginning to change.  If I could have had it, I would have chosen the DS. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views