nifty workout tool x-post

paranoidmother21
on 5/10/12 9:17 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Has anybody else found endomondo and earnedit?  This is not an ad - I'm not affiliated with either site, but I'm having a whole lot of fun with both of them!

Here's the data from endomondo's website:

Endomondo is an award-winning, free sports community and fitness tracking applicaiton, using GPS phones and/or Garmin watches. We support most available GPS phones, including, Android, iPhone, Blackberry, Java, Symbian and Windows Phone. The Endomondo Store offers the latest fitness gear, accessories, and apparel to take your workouts to the next level.

And here's the info from earnedit's website:

Sometimes we could all use a little extra motivation to exercise. While you’d think that the allures of better health and a leaner body would be enough to kick us into action, the reality of the matter is that they’re not. In fact, behavioral economists have a scientific explanation for this called "hyperbolic discounting".

In practice, hyperbolic discounting means that humans discount the value of a reward that occurs far into the future, preferring instead a more immediate reward even if its absolute value is less. For example, if I gave Harry the option to receive $10 today or $20 in a month, he’d probably choose $10 today even though it’s financially wiser for him to get $20 in a month. Hyperbolic discounting is the reason why better health and a leaner body down the road are not compelling enough to make us exercise today.

So we’ve created a system that gives you more immediate rewards for your exercise. Our hope is to foster a more active lifestyle in each of us, and in turn play a small role in improving the health of our users.

Go exercise. Get rewarded. You earnd it.

This is so easy!  Today, between medical tests, I had an hour to kill.  Rather than sit in the waiting room, I went for a walk in the parking lots (there are 3 large strip malls end to end).  I started the program, and it tracked via gps exactly how far I had walked, how long it took me, and my average rate of speed, even providing a map showing the route I took.  Then it uploaded it to my fitbit account automatically, which automatically uploaded it to earnedit and got me more points that I can exchange for gift cards to various companies for workout gear or other neat things.  Both sites are free, so I can't find any downside, only a whole lot of motivation!

Any other users out here?

Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Price S.
on 5/10/12 11:31 am - Mills River, NC
never heard of either but I will check it out.  I certainly need more motivation.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 5/10/12 11:40 am - PA
I've heard of them from skiing.  Apparently the same type of apps will tell you what run you've skied, and how fast you did it.  So the 20-somethings fit guys love the app, and talk about it on all the lifts.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

lerkhart
on 5/11/12 1:38 am
I'll have to check this out.  I use MapMyRun on my iPhone, but I'm for earning points and getting discounts.
Thanks
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views