Need to take my own advice, I guess! x-post

paranoidmother21
on 5/10/12 7:43 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Ok, I've been a proponent of setting a goal about body fat percentage rather than clothing sizes (too much variation) or weight on the scale (too many factors make it unreliable or unrealistic), or pretty much anything else you can name.

I'm currently at 137.

I want to be 130.  No particular reason, I just want to be 130.

Had my body fat checked today.  It was a Tanita scale at the surgeon's office, so not as accurate as a dunk test, but far better than the hand-held testers.

It has me at 22% body fat.  Assuming that it underestimates by about 2% (the best guess I've seen from trainers and such), that puts me into the "fitness" category, better than Average but not to Athlete, especially for being 57.  It's where i'd like to be.

So - I really can't lose those 7 pounds.  I haven't got them TO lose safely, even if I could manage it.

Nevertheless, I'm kind of mourning the loss of my 130 want.  I really do need to take my own advice, celebrate the 22% body fat and 137 pounds, because that's a whole lot of bone and muscle.

And I guess I can also celebrate that my skating coach complimented me twice today, and generally all I get is a "well, it's coming" from her.  I must really be improving!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

MajorMom
on 5/10/12 8:20 am - VA
22% body fat? You done good today--all around! Hooah!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

paranoidmother21
on 5/10/12 9:02 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Thanks, Gina!

I know I did - it's just my head that's screwed up!  Oh well, as long as I know it's my head, I can ignore a whole lot of things! LOL!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Price S.
on 5/10/12 11:28 am - Mills River, NC
137 sounds pretty good to me.  I understand the 130 thing.  I hear folks who weigh a lot more than me talking about 2s and think that sounds pretty good but it isn't to be in my case.  I've decided that is ok.  You are great at 137 and 22% body fat.  I think that is wonderful.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Eliza55
on 5/10/12 11:37 am - PA
I had a very similar discussion with DH over dinner this evening.  I was saying that I'm getting paranoid that I won't be able to keep my weight at the same "number" because I can tell my muscles are getting bigger.  But that's silly.  As DH said, "you still have dinky muscles, and everyone from your PCP, Surgeon, AND trainer think that you should carry a few more lbs.. In addition, it's only been the past month that your weight loss has slowed or stopped."   

I guess I'm just fearful about not being able to maintain.

BTW - 57 is a good age, I think
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

MacMadame
on 5/10/12 12:47 pm - Northern, CA
22% body fat is great.

But I'm curious why you think it wouldn't be safe to lose 7 more pounds of fat? Essential body fat for women is 10-12% so going down to 15-20% is perfectly healthy. I got down to 17-18% myself at one point and was the picture of health.

Then again, the scales that use bio-imediance are way more inaccurate than 2% so who knows what your body fat really is. When a dunk test said I was 18%, the bio-impedence scales were putting me anywhere from 14 to 27% body fat. That is a BIG range.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

paranoidmother21
on 5/10/12 11:04 pm - Lake Zurich, IL
Marie, you always make me clarify my thoughts - and that's a good thing!

I was at that 18-20% range last year, and it was not good.  I looked like a skeleton draped in beige chiffon.  You can still see muscle definition and the ribs are there, but I look and feel healthier at this level.

And I have no objection to losing a few more of those fat pounds as long as I don't go back to being Skeletor (when you scare your nut, you know it's bad!), but I'm not going to do the "I'm going to lose those last 7 pounds if it kills me" routine my head had me going into.

I rock a bikini on the boat, a man came up to me at the grocery store last week and told me I looked good, and people who don't know me routinely think I'm about 10 years younger than I am.  I just need to keep my head on straight.
Rebecca

MacMadame
on 5/11/12 1:16 am - Northern, CA
I completely agree about not getting into "I'm going to lose those last 7 pound if it kills me".  I see people do this all the time and I don't think it's thinking long-term. So you get down to 130 and then what? Can you maintain it or did you do a bunch of things you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

paranoidmother21
on 5/11/12 3:33 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Exactly! 

I just had a chocolate-chocolate chip cookie.  It was yummy, and today's treat! (end of teacher appreciation week).

Now I'm back on my routine.  It's all good.
Rebecca

Lee ~
on 5/10/12 3:26 pm - CA
 I think you've done fantastic and really rocked you WLS!

I have a Tanita scale at home.  It says that at 141 I'm anywhere from 31 -  33% body fat depending on time of day,  hydration etc.  I'm 61.  I want to go to one of the testing places after I get into the 130's.  I'm 5'4", so an inch shorter than you are.

It feels really hard to shed weight now. I have to really pull back to all protein and veggies to show any scale movement so that takes more effort.  It's that double edge, hike 2 hours in the hills and get hungrier and eat more?  That's always my first choice and more fun tan sitting on the couch or at the computer.

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views