perspective on weight number vs. size

paranoidmother21
on 5/17/12 11:56 am - Lake Zurich, IL
So I have this sister in law.  I really do like her (she's married to my brother), but she does believe she is the arbiter of the world.  She is 5'9" (about 4 inches taller than I am), and weighs 136 (a pound lighter than I am).  She does not believe in lean body mass vs. body fat, and just considers a pound a pound.

On Mother's Day she was (again) telling me that I'm too skinny, that I need to put weight on, that I lost too much.

I finally told her what I weigh, and she didn't believe me.  We went and dragged out mom's scale, and then she believed me - and stopped talking about weight.

Maybe now she'll leave it alone.  Ya think?  Yeah, me neither.  LOL!
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Eliza55
on 5/17/12 2:00 pm - PA
Rebecca,
Good luck with that discussion!   

Personally, I think all discussions about weight should be banned for the big holidays :-)
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

godzilla
on 5/17/12 4:06 pm - Israel
I'm short at 5ft/152cm and now weigh 77K.
I started at120K and I refuse to totally give up everything.
I can't see myself weighing 58K to be a normal BMI .
I'm more or less fine where I am - of course I would like to look even slimmer but I can only work with a very limited budget and even with Plastics I'm still overweight.
I now tell people "I'm not Twiggy, Barbie or a model on a catwalk. I am a modern Volkswagon - short and compact!".
Mikimi in Israel
Price S.
on 5/17/12 9:34 pm - Mills River, NC
I was talking to my best friend who happens to be tall and lanky about my 18 month visit.  She was astounded at my "ideal weight" and even more astounded at the fact that I was there.  I was so surprised that I didn't ask if she thought I was more or less, but she certainly seemed surprised at the numbers.  BTW, she has been very supportive.  I don't think it was a negative thing, just true surprise.

I think we don't know numbers anymore and with many/most folks being overweight to obese, no one knows what normal looks like anymore.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

paranoidmother21
on 5/18/12 6:22 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Price, I think you called it!

SIL really doesn't recognize what weights look like, and (I hope!!!) is now seeing the difference that less fat/more lean mass can make in size and numbers!

I'll probably find out tomorrow - we're spending the day together on the boats, so I'll have to see if she comments on my size again, or if she leaves it alone.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

Tonya499
on 5/18/12 10:39 pm - Riverton, UT
 We have some new nurses at the clinic that were curious why everybody keeps telling me how great I look since I've lost so much weight. I brought out the before pictures.  People that have known me for years said they never even realized I was that heavy!  I looked "normal" back then, but seeing me now made them realize that they have accepted overweight as normal.  Some very interesting conversations about weight and societal norms ensued.  The 20 something crowd thinks skinny is normal and the 40-50 something crowd thinks a little extra weight is normal, even healthy!  Yikes!!  

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views