Update from HIDA scan

Eliza55
on 6/9/12 9:33 am - PA

Last week, I had an abdominal ultrasound and HIDA scan because of the recurring stomach pain I have, and most of it is on my right side..  My liver enzymes jumped again, and I have some specific minor pain where my gall bladder is. Thus, the docs wanted to check out my gall bladder.  Short story is that my gall bladder is fine, so we're back to square one.  The next step would be some exploratory surgery, but the pain isn't that bad - it just prevents me from eating (wish I would have had that problem several years ago!!).  So we're in a period of watchful waiting - cut out the cholesterol meds, change to yet another PPI (this time I'm on Protonix)  recheck liver labs and hope I don't lose more than 5 lbs by August.   Both my Primary care doc and my surgeon are watching closely.

Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

lerkhart
on 6/9/12 10:03 am
Sure hope they can get it figured out for you.  My liver enzymes were up until I stopped the cholesterol medicine then they went back to normal.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Price S.
on 6/10/12 5:25 am - Mills River, NC
I sure hope they figure this out for you.  GB would have been easy cause they can just get it out.  Oh Well.  At least there is a plan.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

rbb825
on 6/10/12 4:10 pm - Suffern, NY
I am really sorry to hear that you didnt get your answers.  I have to say that sometimes when it comes to the gallbladder sometimes it just takes time - it can be tempramental.  You can get signs and symptoms for along time before you actually get the stones and tests show that it needs to come out.

Like I had written before, I suffered for years with unbearable nausau and on and off pain.  They said my pain would have been worse but I was on pretty strong narcotics for chronic pains.    For about 3 years, I was told everything was normal or they would say it was just sludge which is basically the stuff that makes up gallstones but in lliquid form - it hasnt solidified yet.  After years and losing a lot of weight - also, lots of yo-yoing but ultimately losing 80 pounds, I developed stones.  Started 1, then within a few months 9 by time I got to surgery there were 25.  But for years they said I was fine.  Sometimes,  it just takes time for them to grow but you have all the symptoms'

The other possibility is that we get so many complications that cant be seen on any testing such as hernias,adhesions,  bowel obstructions and twisting of our intestines which cause so m any things.  These all cause so many serious things and cant be seen because they are blocked but many surgeons dont realize this.  Thankfully your surgeon is aware and is talking exploratory.  This is the only way to find so many problems.  they go in laproscopically and almost always can fix whatever is wrong.  I had 4 sets of adhesions causing my bowels to get all kinked up.  thankfully they caught it before an obstructin formed.

So, be careful - if your pain continues and certainly if it gets any worse, please go back.  If you get constipated at all, if you stop passing any gas - these are all signs of a bowel obstruction - dont wait - call your surgeon immediately

good luck and keep me posted

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views