Is this safe? Predisone 30mg and hydroxyz hcl 25mg

graciesmommie
on 6/17/12 5:19 am
My DH came home from work one morning last week and wrapped his arms around my waist. I was standing in the mirror in my bra and panties getting ready for work. This was really sweet except for the fact he didn't know he had been in some poison ivy. When he woke up his arms were covered in poison ivy. My waist and hips are covered as well. He went to urgent care and was perscribed predisone. Yesterday after being on the ball field all day mine began to spread and itch really bad. He took me to an urgent care on the way home. I was perscribed predisone and hydroxyz hcl 25mg. I just wanted to check with you guys to make sure it is safe to take for a few days to get over this awful poison ivy. I missed my sons game today because I have been miserable. Can hardly wear clothes. YUCK! Have you all taken any of these before? Are they safe?
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
MajorMom
on 6/17/12 5:28 am - VA
It doesn't appear to be a NSAID. I looked it up here: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000091/

Says you should be taking extra calcium and potassium. I think if it helps you fight off the poison reaction, go for it. Take care!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

rbb825
on 6/18/12 11:03 am - Suffern, NY
it is an allergy pill.  I take it every night at bedtime to help me sleep

loverofcats
on 6/17/12 9:32 am, edited 6/16/12 9:33 pm
Predinisone is a steroid and is prescribed to decrease the inflammation. Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine and is given for the itching, and can cause sleepiness. So, don't drive, if it makes you sleepy. For short term, the predinisone is okay, but long term usage can cause problems.

Gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

rbb825
on 6/18/12 11:00 am - Suffern, NY
the prednisone is to bring down the inflamation and itching.  THe hydrox is the same thing is the same thing as hydroxyzine which is an allergy pill similar to benedryl but stronger.  I take it every night to help me sleep, I know many use benedry l for this purpose but  I used but I find that hydroxyzine works for me - 50mg at bedtime (I use 50mg at bedtime works for me.)

There is absolutely no reason you couldnt use the hydroxyzine other than the fact that is makes you very sleepy - that is the side effect and the reason people you is it.  The other reason people use it is that it reduces major inflamation.

graciesmommie
on 6/18/12 12:20 pm
Great information. Thanks. This explains as to why I feel less puffy than I have in a long time. Good meds. They are working. Feeling alot better than yesterday at this time. Thanks for the info.
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
(deactivated member)
on 6/18/12 7:56 pm
I personally wouldn't take the prednisone because it blows me upo like a balloon.   The other is fine and enough.
rbb825
on 6/19/12 12:14 am - Suffern, NY
Sometimes you have no choice.  It isnt my favorite either but sometimes it is absolutely necessary to save your life for respitory problems or for life threatening allergic reactions.  Other times the allergic reaction is just so bad that nothing else can treat it  - the body can blow up and itch so bad just from the allergic reaction that the prednisone is the only way to stop the itching and swelling.

Poison ivy  in some people can cause such severe swelling and itching it can spread all over the body and become unbearable.  Some people are actually allergic to it.  My brother would get it so bad that his entire face would blow up and he looked like a martian/lollipop and the itching was so bad that if they didnt stop it he was going to rip off his scrip which was already starting to cause infection.

I am taking IV iron which I have a history of severe allergic reactions where I could hardly breath during, that was 12 years ago.  Now I need it again and I need to be premedicated with a combination of 3 drigs at 24 hours before, 13 hours before and 1 hour before - the meds are 40mg of Prednisone, 300mg of Zantac and 50mg of Atarax (hydroxyzine).  I started the Venofer (Iron Sucrose) at a tiny dose and worked my up with these premeds and I have successfully made it up to the normal dose without any allergic reactions. It I had done it the normal way with no premeds including prednisone, I would have had major allergic reactions.

It is also used for steroid injections in joints and the spine for severe arthritis and herniated discs and they are extremely helpful to get patients back to a functioning state.

so, sometime prednisone is a necessity and when taken for a short term and as directed they don't blow you up as a balloon, that is only when used long term for asthma or other breathing problems and then it is an absolute necessity to save your live

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views