Weight is stuck and my carbs are to blame!!!

Amy P.
on 8/7/12 12:03 am - Liberty Lake, WA
Hello all...I posted this under MajorMom's Carb Detox thread, but I need to put myself out there and keep on track. All of your suggestions are appreciated!!

Oh--you nasty carb-monster !

I have been MIA on this site for a few months as life has been busy~hubby going back to school full time, I got a promotion at work and we sold our house last week so packing for a move!

My weightloss has plateaued at 138#. I'm due for a hip replacement this fall or winter so lots of exercise (other than walking to work, etc.) has been limited. But I have noticed more and more carbs creeping in. It hasn't shown on the scale (YET) other than I stopped losing. I'm about 18 months out and haven't made it to my initial goal of 125....but I am quite comfortable at this weight.

What I have noticed is more belly fat!!! My hubby said last night "looking a little bigger around the middle, what's up with that?" (yes, I still love him). I didn't get mad or anything because I know that it is true--I just wasn't wanting to admit it. I'd gotten away from journaling and more into the "desk munchies". I still pack my lunch everyday, but when I go back and look at it, my cottage cheese had given way to chips/salsa, cheese/crackers, etc. A BIG STEP IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!  I have spent lots of money at the thrift store this year buying those beloved size 3-4 pants and refuse to let them get tight!  (ok...not lots of $$, but I love thrift stores!)

I told my trainer once before my WLS that I was allergic to carbs and she said really? I told her yes...I break out in BELLY FAT!              BLEH!!

So I jumped back on OH this morning and what do I see....even MajorMom deals with this issue! I have my journal back out---two protein shakes here at work with me and determined to get back onto the right path. I feel so amazing since surgery that I don't want to shoot myself in the foot and let it all go for not.

I'm also going to commit to participating in the menu and miles...as accountability is always good. I'll even try to post to pictures of the new me!!

Everyone on this forum was such a blessing to me before and after surgery and I'm sorry that I've been gone for awhile.  It really warmed my heart when I logged on this morning and read a few posts from all those names that helped me through...MajorMom, Price, Roz, SouthernLady, etc.  You ladies ROCK!
                                HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

Koko10
on 8/7/12 1:06 am - NC
I don't post much but I read this one and I feel your pain. My surgery was 11 days before yours, and I'm dealing with the dreaded belly fat as well. I never had much belly fat before surgery though. LOL Anyway, you know what to do. You said it right here. Therefore, I'm motivating you and encouraging you. You can do it!

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

lerkhart
on 8/7/12 1:46 am
Welcome back Amy!!  Glad you haven't gained any weight.  It is easier to get back on track after WLS than before.  You can do this!!

I love all the accountability on this site.  Liz does a weekly weigh in on Sunday's that helps with accountability on weight.

Menus and Miles really helps me stay accountable.    My problem is sweets.  I can eat more than most before they bother me.  It is an every day struggle.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Amy P.
on 8/7/12 1:53 am - Liberty Lake, WA

Thank you for the replies, ladies.  I appreciate the encouragement!!

I know that I can do this and honestly...happy to be having to re-commit now rather than waiting until I gain weight...which I'm suprised I haven't given those little orange demons (Cheetos!!!).

So here's to a protein-shake cheers!

HT 5'3"~HW 218~SW 208~GW 125

Price S.
on 8/7/12 2:31 am - Mills River, NC
Welcome home. 
My belly was always one of my biggest issues.  My waist is still 32" so even at 117, I have a belly.  I think when we go through redistribution, the weight goes back to some of it's old haunts.  I was happy for my face to fill in some, but not my tummy.  I am doing a lot of core work and hopefully that will help. 
there are a bunch of us learning maintainance.  Join right in.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

dasie
on 8/7/12 3:02 am
I am up 4 pounds due to heavy carb eating the past 1.5 weeks.  I know what to do; I brought this upon myself.  Today I am struggling with the cravings that follow once I begin to attempt to decarb.  I did eat 1/2 a grilled chicken wrap for lunch, and that tortilla was not the best choice.  However I know after a few days of lean meat, fresh vegetables and limited fruit, I am usually back on track.  I plan on walking 6 miles today.  We know what to do - we just have to do it!

LinR
on 8/7/12 3:22 am
In maintenance, I have struggeled with how much and which carbs to eat.  I find the good carbs are not the culprit.  It's the no nutritional value, not even filling carbs that add to my belly fat and weight.  For me, it was finding the balance.  I know you will too.

southernlady5464
on 8/7/12 6:05 am
Hi Amy....boy do I feel your pain. It's SO easy to go back to the stuff that got us here before. And being busy doesn't help but you can do it. We all can.

Maint is a WITCH!!!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

dgill1
on 8/7/12 8:03 am
VSG on 07/24/12
I went to a support group meeting last week where a nutritionist took us around a grocery store reading lables and gave us some cheat sheets... it was very helpful - is there a support group you can migrate back to? Some of the maintenance folks that joined the outting were an inspiration to us newbies and they indicated it helped them with accountability.

If you don't already use it - I would strongly recommend the MyFitPal application for anying Iphone, Ipad, etc. It breaks down throughout the day the amount of protein you are getting, carbs, fat, etc. It also tracks exercise and water. I love it! I think it will be an on-going part of my regimine!

Other than that - coming back here is great because I agree with you about the great support that can be found here!

Good luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views