Cold feet?????.....Confused

wannabehealthytoo
on 8/10/12 9:55 pm
 Hi 
I am not sure if I am just confused or I am getting cold feet.  I don't have my surgery date as of yet but I do see the surgeon on the 16th. this will be my second visit with him.
The thing is I am 5' and I weighed 184 lbs. the last weigh-in and my pre-surgery weight should be 175 leaving me to lose 40lbs to 50lbs. to lose.  I know it's not a whole lot to lose but I want to have the surgery because I have diabetes.  It was out of control when I first started the program my A1C was 8.9 it is now at 6.5 without medication and I did it with only diet and exercise.   The medication for diabetes makes me really, really sick.

I am really scared of having the surgery and something going wrong, like leakage or that I won't be able to sustain food... 
But I also think of the future what if in a couple of years my diabetes gets out of control again?

I am hoping someone can shed some light.....

Thanks.......
MajorMom
on 8/11/12 2:11 am - VA
It's normal to second guess yourself but do some introspection about yourself. Can you sustain what you're having to do to lose weight for the rest of your life? How many diets have you tried and failed at over your lifetime? I think when we have tried and failed at them all and we have a serious comorbidity like diabetes, we owe it to ourselves to be real. Wishing your a peaceful journey.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

wannabehealthytoo
on 8/11/12 9:55 pm
On August 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM Pacific Time, MajorMom wrote:
It's normal to second guess yourself but do some introspection about yourself. Can you sustain what you're having to do to lose weight for the rest of your life? How many diets have you tried and failed at over your lifetime? I think when we have tried and failed at them all and we have a serious comorbidity like diabetes, we owe it to ourselves to be real. Wishing your a peaceful journey.

--gina

I have repeatedly failed at keeping the weight off.   I know that deep down this is what I need to do.  Thank you for giving me something to really think about.
Huneypie
on 8/11/12 2:11 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
What surgery are you getting and who is your surgeon?  Do you have a surgery date?

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

wannabehealthytoo
on 8/11/12 9:56 pm
 Dr. Le is my surgeon he recommends that I have the sleeve and I see him for the second time this coming Thursday.
Huneypie
on 8/12/12 4:01 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
Leaks are a risk with the VSG but the leak rate is 1%.  You could ask your surgeon when you see him what his leak rate is.

Have you considered the duodenal switch?  That's your best option for long term diabetes resolution.  You'd have to get a vetted DS surgeon.  They're listed on dsfacts.com

Good luck.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Price S.
on 8/11/12 4:14 am - Mills River, NC
I'm 4'11" and I have ended up around 115.  Gail is about the same height and is around 110.  It is lower than I ever thought possible but I got there AND have stayed there for almost a year with thoughtful eating and exercise. You could easily end up in the 110-120 range.  It is for the rest of my life and whatever you decide, because of your diabetes, will be too.

Complications are rare but they to happen.  We all think they will not happen to us but they happen to someone.  For those of us who had surgery, the rewards were greater than the risk.  Yeah, we could loose weight, but we managed to gain it back each time.  Now we have a fighting chance of keeping it off. 

In the end, you have to be the one to make the decision.  We will be here to support you no matter what.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 8/11/12 6:14 am - Butler, PA
It's a tough decision for most people and it can be scarey but can you imagine a life without Diabetes and the chances of it not returning are really good!!!    

Being a LW you chances of being successful keeping your weight off are really good! 

(((HUGS))) 

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

MacMadame
on 8/11/12 10:11 am - Northern, CA
I didn't have surgery to lose weight. I can lose weight just fine. I lost 32 pounds pre-op in fact. I had surgery to keep it off. That's something I have never, ever been able to do!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

wannabehealthytoo
on 8/11/12 9:59 pm
 Thank you all so much for your support.  Like everyone mentioned I can loose the weight I can't keep it off.  Living the rest of my life without diabetes would be wonderful.  I think I have made my mind up.  I see the surgeon on the 16th.  I hope I get a date soon.
Thanks again for all of the positive feed back.
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 475 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views