Nasty protein coffee / diabetes & doc visits

Turtle Lynn
on 9/4/12 6:15 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Ugghhhhh I had to dump out my whole cup!  I used a 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder and mixed it with some Coffeemate (non dairy) liquid creamer and it was gross. . .blech!!!!  I ended up dumping out my whole cup and making a new pot (just a little 5-cup coffee maker).  I even added a dash of SF Torani marshmallow syrup and that soooooooooo didn't help!

All I could taste was the "whey" through the coffee.  When will I learn to stop trying the "whey" proteins?!?!?!  They make me gag. . .taste and smell.  I'm not sure if I am just "that" stubborn or if I am stuck on stupid!!!! 

On a positive note, I saw my Endo, GI doc and PCP last week.  The Endo has reduced my Victoza, wooo hoooo, he is trying to get me off of it.  He said with RNY you naturally make such high levels of GLP-1 (which is what the Victoza is) that my shots likely aren't doing anything.  I was at 1.8 mg (highes on the pen), last week he dropped me down to 1.2 mg and starting today I'm at 0.6 mg whic is the lowest setting and as long as my sugars don't go up, as of the middle of next week I should be off my med's altogether!!!!

My GI doc was thrilled with my weight loss but wants me to stay on the Prevacid for at least another 6 months before he will consider letting me come off of it.  

My blood pressure was very low, 86/54 in L arm and 85/52 in R arm and pulse of 52 so my PCP took me off of 1 of my 2 blood pressure medications AND cut my cholesterol meds in half so if my cholesterol and triglycerides stay as low as they are now, she will take me off of that too in 6 months!   She is tickled at how well I am coming along and kept asking me RNY questions lol.  It amazes her how it affects diabetes in such a positive way.  

So, I am down to just daily aspirin, Prevacid meltaways, HCTZ 3x a week and my daily vitamins and supplements (multi, calcium+D, B12, Vit D 2000 i.u. daily, 2 iron tabs with Vit C). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .wooooooooo hoooooooooooo, I am making progress!!!!!!

The only sucky thing is I gained 4 lbs this past week   I am guessing it is mostly fluid as my legs/ankles are pretty swollen but damn if that isn't discouraging!!!!!  Some days I hate the scale, but than again, there are times when you just gain for no apparent reason, it's all part of the journey and at least this time around I KNOW it will come back off in a few days to a week.  

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Jody ***
on 9/4/12 7:03 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with
 Congrats on getting off the meds!  Sounds like you're doing great.  

I took my Prevacid for several years.. only stopped taking it the past 5 months or so, when I finally realized what was bothering my tummy.  

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Price S.
on 9/4/12 9:23 am - Mills River, NC
congrats on a good couple of appts.  It's it amazing how much more fun it is to go to the Dr when they aren't going to be fussing at you for your weight.

My Dr was extremely careful taking me off my BP meds but I never had cholesterol meds or asprin after WLS.  I am still taking prelosec and will for a while.  It does make a difference in how my pouch feels. Don't worry about the gain, if you are doing what you are suppose to, it will come back off and it probably fluid or poo.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 272 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 395 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 459 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 483 views