Runners?

Turtle Lynn
on 10/15/12 9:07 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Okay, so normally, I would be the first one to be saying that you won't catch me running unless something big and ugly is behind me so y'all better run too..........however. . . . . . in my new RNY lifestyle, I need to find an exercise that I enjoy or at least tolerate.  I get bored out of my mind on the treadmill and stationary bike.  

I used to run track many, many moons ago and I enjoyed it.  I know they have the Couch to 5K program, but I'm wondering if we have any runners here who can offer up some practical advice on getting started.

I'm thinking once I get to a point where I won't embarrass myself in front of other runners (picture me laying on the ground red and puffing like a freight train after 2 minutes) that I can find others to run with locally.  Also, I figured now is a good time because I no longer have "the girls" to black my eyes, which REALLY used to be a problem, and I think I am at a good size/weight now that I won't hurt myself.

If I don't keel over from being so out of shape, I think I would enjoy running again, so any advice is appreciated. 

Oh, and I lost another pound so I am in the 170's, woooooooooo hoooooooo!!! I haven't been in this weight range since high school 

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

Price S.
on 10/15/12 9:51 am - Mills River, NC
I don't run anymore.  Bad hips and knees.  But when I lost 60 lbs with WW, I started by walking then added from one telephone pole to the next of a jog, then back to a walk, etc.  I kept going until I was jogging more and walking less.  Worked for me.

Linda runs and does 5K races.  We have some others too and I bet they will have more words of wisdom for you.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Turtle Lynn
on 10/15/12 10:15 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thanks, Price!  At least I know I am asking in the right place .  

lerkhart
on 10/15/12 10:46 am
Well, I was running, but I'm having some leg problems so had to stop for a while.

I started out walking, then started walking a very fast pace, then I would run a block and walk a block and just kept adding to it until I got where to where I wanted to go.  I would do short runs during the week after work and then on Saturday morning, I would get up and do my long run.  I really enjoyed putting my music on and getting away from everything.  I felt so much better when I finished.

I have the Couch to 5K and Couch to 10K on my iPhone, but had a hard time using either of them, because I liked to get ahead of the program.  I need to start back on one of them and go all the way through it.

Be sure to get a good pair of running shoes - not just tennis shoes.  Go and get fitted.  I like the gel shoes they offer more support.

I also have to wear pretty tight pants and then something other them to hold in some of the skin-LOL -so it doesn't bounce around!!

Good luck and let me know how it goes.  I'm going to get back out there soon I hope.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Turtle Lynn
on 10/15/12 1:33 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Hi Linda, 

Oh no, sorry to hear you're having leg problems, I hope you get that resolved quickly!

I didn't think about the shoes; I was just going to use my Nike's.  I think they are the cross-trainer's or something like that.  Guess I better look into the fitted shoes, especially since my feet have shrunk too! 

Snug pants, good point, my thighs are getting pretty loose and flabby. . .I bet snug yoga pants would work for that.  

I will definitely be posting as I get started and about how my progress goes.  I'm sure I will be looking for more advice as I go along! 

ruxanby
on 10/15/12 11:09 am
Hi. I had surgery in Feb 2010.  I have lost Approx 110 lbs and ran my first 5 K a few weeks ago.  I completed it in 32.46 min.  I was never a runner but in maintenance I realized that it was the best approach to keeping my weigh down.  I run about 20 miles per week and have become addicted to it. 

I started out by getting fit for a good pair of ruinning shoes and the best gift I ever got was the Pear from pear sports.  I have a coach that constantly talks to me during my runs.  I am doing another 5k in a few weeks and am plannig a mud run and possible 1/2 marathon in 2013. 

Start slow the couch to 5k program is fantastic. i could not run a block when I first started and am now doing 4 miles. It has only been about 3 months for me but I love it.  I think with running you either love it or hate it.   

Good luck. Since I starte the scale is down about 7 lbs of my bounce back weight so it is working!! 
Sheri
Sheri F.   
LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Turtle Lynn
on 10/15/12 1:43 pm, edited 10/15/12 1:44 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with
Hi Sheri, 

Wow, congrats on your weight loss and running a 5K, that's fantastic!!!!

20 miles a week seems like A LOT. . .though I guess if you spread it out over a week it sounds better lol.  

I have no idea what the Pear is that you're talking about; I will have to Google it.  Do you have to go anywhere specific to get fitted for the shoes or can any Modell's or Ladies Foot Locker or sporting goods store do it?

That's awesome with the runs you have planned, good luck to you!

Definitely planning on starting slow; I guess I am where you were.  I couldn't run a block to save my life right now.  I think 30 feet would do me in lol.  It's definitely going to take some time to get my stamina up.  You are doing GREAT for only having been running for 3 months, I hope I can do as good as you!

Plus, I want the scale moving down faster and this stomach to disappear!!!!  I am losing weight everywhere BUT in my stomach. . .grrrrrr. . .that is SO frustrating!  Congrats on losing the 7 lbs, I'm sure I will be back asking for more advice, and I will look into the Couch to 5K again and the Pear thing you were talking about. 

Thanks for the help! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...