Recent Lab Results

Turtle Lynn
on 12/26/12 11:09 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Okay, so these are my 6-month lab results, most of them are in the normal range but a few are either high or low, and I have no idea what that means:

Hemoglobin 11.8

Hematocrit 36.1

Calcium, serum 9.7

Protein, total, serum 6.9

Albumin, serum 4.1

Iron, serum 44    

Iron saturation 14 (low)

Vitamin B12  689

Folate, serum  14.5

Vitamin D, 25- Hydroxy  34.4  (up from 25 in August)

PTH, Intact  12 (low)

Prealbumin  24

Vitamin A, serum 48 

BUN/creatinine ratio  25  (high)

AST  18

ALT  31

Thanks!

HW 287, GW 150,  CW 168   ** Band to RNY 05/29/12 **

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? Join us-Lightweights Board

MajorMom
on 12/26/12 6:32 pm - VA

I believe the BUN/cretinine level is saying you're not getting enough fluids. Mine stay a little elevated and I drink constantly. It's a PITA.

You protein is fine but if you could add a shake or 2 you could improve the albumins.

You iron markers are too low. What are you taking for iron supplements? You want your Hemoglobin > 12, Hematocrit > 40, Iron between 80 - 100, and ferritin around 200.

B12 needs to be higher. 1000 or better.

Vitamin A looks pretty good. You want it at the high end of the range but not over.

AST & ALT are great.

I'm glad you're working on the D3. You're another mystery with a low PTH and high-ish calcium. What are you taking for calcium and D3? I think Price has low PTH and D3 in the normal range.

Foliate could be better. Are you taking separate folic acid?

I think that's about all I know. Anyone else?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Turtle Lynn
on 12/26/12 11:47 pm - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thanks, Gina!

I haven't been doing any shakes.  I need to plan my days better.  I am supposed to be doing 2 a day, but I just don't seem to be able to fit them in!

Ugh, not drinking enough, really?  That's what causes that . . .you're right that IS a PITA!!!!!  At least it's not too elevated lol, but I will work on getting in more fluids. 

I am taking 2 tabs of the Vitron-C daily (65 mg of elemental iron as ferrous fumerate).  I have always run on the low side for Iron and had a problem with anemia in the past.  

I guess I should double my B12, I am taking 500 mcg daily, but I see they sell up to 1,000 mcg at the pharmacy. 

I have been using the chewable (gummy) 2000 iu of D3 (2 a day).  Calcium is 2 Lemon Calcet Creamy Bites daily.  Though my doc mentioned giving me a prescription for the 50,000 iu of Vitamin D.  He was just waiting to see my lab work first.  

Yeah, the low PTH really threw me a curve, I was expecting it to be high.  I'm not sure what the low PTH means.  I did send the  NP an email asking about it and the rest of my blood work. 

No folic acid.  I do take magnesium, potassium, biotin and zinc as "extras". 

I am soooooo glad there are people like you and Poet_Kelly over on the RNY board that are so well versed in what all of these levels mean, I feel like I need a Ph.D just to figure out what is going on and if I'm where I should be!!!!! I know it is a learning process, but man, it makes my head spin lol.  I know I can't be the only one who feels that way!

Thanks for the info about VitaLady too, I wasn't aware she was having issues, so I will not anticipate a reply to my email anytime soon.  I did receive one from a staff member saying that VL was off last week and had some appointments upcoming so to give her some time to reply, which I told them was perfectly fine.  I understand that most people are usually very busy over the Holidays, and I may have to wait until after that to expect an email back.  I just wanted to see which of her products she would recommend I use based on some of my levels. 

Thanks again!!!! 

MajorMom
on 12/27/12 1:01 am - VA

Don't waist your time with prescription D from your doc. The only prescription D is D2 in oil. Doesn't do us any good. Get some dry 10,000 - 20,000 IU from Vitalady or dry 5,000 IU from Vitamin Shoppe.

You might ask for a prescription for Proferrin Forte. It's heme iron and folic acid. Don't stop your Vitron C but take the Proferrin at another time in the day.

They should carry 1,000mcg of B12 at a Vitamin Shoppe. I know Vitalady carries it up to 5,000mcg.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Turtle Lynn
on 12/27/12 3:52 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Oh, okay, that's good to know.  I will order the dry D3 from VL, I need to order more calcet creamy bites anyway.

I will ask about the Proferrin Forte and grab a higher dose bottle of B12.

Thanks again!!!!!

hollykim
on 12/27/12 9:58 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

The low PTH is actually good.  a high PTH means there is not enough calcium free floating in our bloodstreams and our body is leaching stored calcium from out bones to get what it needs. that is why we like to take PLENTY of calcium, so no leaching is going on.

Usually with a low PTH,the calcium level would be in normal range too,but your calcium is high-ish,as Gina said. Probably,just the way you are made.

Turtle Lynn
on 12/27/12 10:50 am - New Castle, DE
RNY on 05/29/12 with

Thanks, Holly!   I guess I am just "special".  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views