Lightweights Weight Loss Pattern?

BREAZA
on 6/13/13 6:11 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Hi everyone,

I'm 8 weeks post op and was wondering if other light weights have had the same issue about losing weight so slowly? I've lost a total of 23.4 lbs. I know, I know everyone is different and shouldn't compare myself to others but want to know how far off I am or if I'm in the somewhat "normal" range.

I'm 5'3" and surgery weight was 216.8 and am now 193.4. Below is what my weight loss looks like since my surgery. It  just worries me because I am losing about 2 #'s a week and know that I have a very short time frame to where I can maximize the most weight loss which is the first 3 months I believe...after that it will be much harder.

I don't need to hear "Well be happy because you wouldn't have been able to lose 2 lbs a week on your own before the surgery..."... I understand that already and get it. :) I'm happy that I'm steadily losing but just curious if others with my same start weight were able to lose more and if so, what specifically did you do/eat to lose it or if my weight loss as a light weight is completely "normal" so to speak?

Weigh-In Date   Weight (lbs)   Weight Needed to Make Goal   Difference
04/22/13                                               216.80                                               216.80                                                         -  
04/29/13                                               210.80                                               214.10                                                  (6.00)
05/06/13                                               205.40                                               211.39                                                  (5.40)
05/13/13                                               203.20                                               208.69                                                  (2.20)
05/20/13                                               201.20                                               205.99                                                  (2.00)
05/27/13                                               197.60                                               203.29                                                  (3.60)
06/03/13                                               195.40                                               200.58                                                  (2.20)
06/10/13                                               193.40                                               197.88                                                  (2.00)

datachick
on 6/13/13 6:19 am, edited 6/13/13 6:20 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I lost more at first but now maybe 1 lb a week. You can see in my signature.
I don't know what "normal" is, sorry.

I have worked out 4x/week with a personal trainer since 2 months post-op. I believe that other than the surgery itself, it's the best choice I've ever made.

Do you want advise? If so tell us daily protein/calories/carbs/fat/exercise.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

BREAZA
on 6/13/13 7:13 am, edited 6/13/13 7:20 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I put "normal" in parentheses because I know there is no real normal for everyone but just wondering if you lost only 2 lbs a week so early on? I agree the surgery is the best I could have ever done as well, but want to maximize the short window of time I have to lose the most weight possible.

I'm getting in 80-100 gm of protein, eat close to 500-600 calories a day, 40 ounces of fluids, and exercise at least an hour or more 3x a week. I drink mostly protein shakes, chicken, and fish (my stomach doesn't do too well with red meats) to get my protein in. It's been difficult to meet my 64 ounces of fluids. I still have lots of restriction. 

I'm thinking of getting a personal trainer...maybe she can help me with the workouts. I like jogging and am doing my first 5K in a few months so I'm trying to prepare for that, but think I need to work out more with weights. Maybe that will help me out.

My meals so far:

B One egg, bacon, and cheese

S Coffee no sugar

L Fish Ceviche (fish, cucumber, tomato, onions marinated in lemon juice)

and vitamins...I'm working on a 20 ounce Isopure clear drink (zero carbs & 40 gm protein).

I plan on having some chicken tonight with some veggies and drink another 40 ounces if I could get it all in.

datachick
on 6/13/13 7:33 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I hate to tell you, but coffee isn't really a snack. How about 1/2C cottage cheese? or a greek yogurt?

I eat 1200 calories now because I work out 4x/week with the trainer. Also cardio. When I started with the trainer, I was eating maybe 700-800 calories but was weak and tired. Talked to my nutritionist who gave me a 1200 calorie plan. 3 meals and 3 snacks, all proportioned with protein, carbs and fat. It took me a coupla weeks to get up to that many calories. I know many people here do not do that, and keep their calories and carbs very low. I've found that for me, this is working fine. I'm building lots of muscle and losing lots of fat. I can make it thru my week, my workouts, have energy just fine.

Are your clothes fitting differently/better? As you are losing fat, if you are working out 3x/week, you are building muscle at the same time. Sometimes we have to quit looking at the scale. My trainer suggests looking only one time a week to avoid freaking out at the little ups-and-downs.

I'm not really sure what to tell you. I've gathered lots of info about nutrition. Do you have a nutritionist? I use the one that came with the surgeon's office, and she's great. Personal Training places usually also give out nutritional advice but make sure they understand your restrictions in eating. If my trainer had it his way, I'd be eating 1600 calories a day, but I can't shove that much in. Plus when I got up to 1300-1400 calories, my weight loss stalled. So I cut back to 1100-1200, drink a protein drink once a day (which I'd quit doing in lieu of eating solid food) so I get 20 more grams of protein without more calories.

You probably just have to fiddle with your choices. There is some kind of fine line of eating too few calories so your body hangs on to its reserves vs. eating a little more (of correct choices) to get the fat-burning going. For me that's 1100-1200 calories with correct protein, carb and fat proportions. For others, it's like 800 cals with low carbs and tons more protein. I don't know the answer for you, sorry. But if you are exercising 3 hours a week, maybe it's time to up your calories. Sorry I'm so vague and all over the place, but hope something here helps.

GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

BREAZA
on 6/13/13 9:11 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I try and mix it up every day but do eat lots of greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I've just started doing weights to work out my arms but should consult with a personal trainer to make sure I'm working my muscles correctly. I definitely want to tone up. I carry my weight mainly on my arms, boobs, hips, thighs, and derriere but have somewhat of a small waist. I just wish I could target tone but know it's not possible. I do notice I don't have as much energy to put in a real hard workout and think it has to do with my low calorie intake...not sure how I can increase it if my stomach doesn't allow it. I seriously try to eat more but once I get that pain in the middle of my breastbone I stop eating.

I can't say I'm disappointed with my weight loss because I'm very happy about that and am seeing the difference in my clothes just wanted to make sure I was on track is all. I had my surgery in Mexico so all I had was the consultation with him before I left the hospital. Below is a picture I took just now .... my size 22's are definitely fitting loose now but I refuse to buy other pants until I've lost more weight.

22w

datachick
on 6/14/13 2:51 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

If you haven't already, I highly suggest finding a local surgeon, nutritionist and WLS Support group. It's imperative that you at least have ongoing medical and nutritional guidance and support.

As for working out, etc: Last night I was at my WLS support group, there was a gal there about 4-5 weeks post-op; eating 500-600 calories (and having trouble with foods, still fiddling with 'what works'), tired, not up for "exercise". The nutritionist, counselor and nurse that run the meeting said this: You aren't eating enough yet to exercise a lot. For now concentrate on getting your protein in; start logging your food (She has not started that yet). If you feel up for a walk, go for a walk. But your tummy is still healing and you aren't eating much.
=====================================

Your doctor should clear you for lifting any weight. I don't remember when that was for me, but obviously around the 2-month mark because I started with the personal trainer at about 9 weeks post-op. You don't want to hurt your tummy.

Also, there are lots of books out there if you DO want to start doing some low-impact exercises. I have Women's Health Big Book of Exercises and another Women's Health 15 minute workouts. In there you can target your waist, butt, etc. It's a great book, mirrors exactly the exercises my trainer has me do, good explanations and lots of info that really brings it all together for me.

Again, tho, relax. You are doing great. Get in the protein you need, keep track of your food, listen to your body. That's your job for now :)

GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

BREAZA
on 6/14/13 10:55 am
VSG on 04/24/13

Thanks I'll definitely look into the books you suggested as well as look for a WLS support group in my area.

southernlady5464
on 6/13/13 7:41 am

As to getting your fluids...have a cup with you EVERYWHERE...mine even goes to bed with me (I use one that has a lid so cats won't spill it) and it sits right next to the bed on the floor..when I wake up, I take a sip. Every commercial on TV, take a sip...if it helps, make up a bunch of 8 oz bottles and aim for one every hour.

Getting dehydrated is no joke...and we will, very easily.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

BREAZA
on 6/13/13 7:51 am
VSG on 04/24/13

I think I'll start doing that and carry a water bottle where ever I go...I really need to get in more fluids that's for sure. I live in the Imperial Valley where it gets 115-118 degrees in the summer so it's REALLY hot. Desert weather isn't fun when you're trying to jog outside.

BREAZA
on 6/13/13 7:30 am
VSG on 04/24/13

By the way CONGRATULATIONS for losing 88.4 lbs!! That's freakin' awesome! :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views