Scale Fear

Poodle_Mom
on 6/25/13 1:53 pm - Sacramento, CA
RNY on 12/06/12

Ever since I can remember I dreaded stepping on a scale.  When I got fat, it was worse.  Now that I'm losing, I still dread it.  I'm so afraid of NOT losing all my weight by my one year anniversary.  Sunday when I got up the nerve to step on, I had lost 5lbs, now I have an appointment with my PCP and I'm filled with that old fear again, I feel stressed and I want to eat.  My DW has been extremely supportive of me during my journey and even before so I feel like I will let her down if I don't lose the weight.  I know this is all in my head and my therapist is helping to keep me on track (she had wls too).  If I could just get over this fear of the scale.

Have a wonderful evening everyone, I just had to vent a little.

Susan

5'6" HW: 285/ Surgery weight: 265/ GW: 145  

Candy V.
on 6/25/13 8:23 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I am 91/2 months post op and just hit normal BMI!  You can do this!  Follow your drs plan and it will happen. 

I usually weigh 2x a week, once mid week and then on Sundays for the weigh in thread.  If you dont participate in that thread it may help you to just weigh on Sunday and reply to the post.

Best wishes and remember there will be weeks you dont lose and that is ok.  We are in this for the long haul.

Candy

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Price S.
on 6/25/13 10:03 pm - Mills River, NC

I am horrible about the scale, I am on it many times a day.  But somehow, I have not let it make me scared.  In fact, I delight at getting on the scale at the Drs office because I dreaded it for so long. 

When my losing really slowed down, I never really stalled, I started looking at what I ate.  Actually logging everyday.  Then when the scale didn't move, I knew I was ok anyway because I knew I was doing exactly what I was suppose to.  I still log everyday on Miles and Menus everyday to stay accountable.  that helped me transfer anxiety from the scale. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

southernlady5464
on 6/25/13 10:29 pm

You are letting the scale control you. Do not let that stupid thing tell you how to feel!

NSV's are FAR more to this than that silly number.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Roz !!!!
on 6/25/13 11:58 pm - Butler, PA

The scale is one thing I've never feared.  This must be very hard to deal with when we are all so anxious to know the magic number of the day.  You are putting too much stress on yourself wanting to get to goal by your anniversary date.  I didn't hit goal until I was about 15 months out.

My DD who never had a weight problem had an eating disorder when she was in high school and she gets terribly sick just thinking about getting on the scale. She is thin and never struggles with her weight now but she always turns around backwards and tells the Dr. she doesn't want to know the number.  She strictly just goes by how her clothes feel.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

singdoremi
on 6/26/13 1:45 am - NJ
Susan,
I feel the way you do and have always had a problem with the numbers. Now that I am losing, I fear I will get on the scale and not see it go down. My plan is to only weigh once a week. Pre surgery I NEVER faced the numbers at the numerous dr.'s I visited. Always turned around even though I knew I weighed 200 pounds. Will the fear go away? IDK, but I think for me once a week weigh ins is just fine. Good luck!

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Jody ***
on 6/26/13 2:36 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

I was a scale ***** during my weight loss.  I'd weigh every day in the morning and sometimes at night.  Once I hit goal I did well with continuing weighing... but when it started going up again... I tended to avoid it.  That's not a good thing because that's what got me in trouble in the first place - ignoring the scale.

I too now dread getting on it at the Dr's office - but just think of where you were at this time last year.  You've done a great job and still have a LOT of time before your 1 year surgiversary.  Just keep working the plan - but yes, our heads get in the way a lot during this whole process.

Hang in there - you'll do fine!

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Lauren B.
on 6/26/13 1:08 pm - Suffolk County, NY

Like many of the others *****sponded here, I live by the scale. I use it to judge my eating and exercise habits. Don't pressure yourself too much. Your body will stop when it wants to. What you do next is what's important, But don't dread the day a stall begins, instead formulate a plan when it inevitably comes.

We're here for you.

RNY 8/27/09 SW: 250 LW: 170 CW: 175 On the right path again!!!  

35 pounds of regain!!! 30 lost!!! Just a little more to go.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 287 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 413 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 474 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 496 views