Exercising like never before! Scales are going up not down what the heck!!

graciesmommie
on 7/2/13 10:36 pm
I joined a gym in May. I have been taking 3 to 4 classes one day and 2 the next excluding Saturdays I take one. Sundays 0 they aren't open. Instead of losing weight I am gaining. I don't get it. I am taking Zumba, Bokwa, Zumba core, kick boxing, yoga, Pilates, etc. My husband thinks I am not eating enough for the amount of exercise I am doing and every thing is just sticking. I am at a loss. I am almost 4 yrs out. My lowest weight was 109. Stayed at 120 for a long time, new job new stress this year... Now at highest since surgery 130! I am freaking out!
Nothing tastes as good as this feels!                                                                     
loverofcats
on 7/2/13 11:12 pm

What are you eating? Are you tracking your food? Sounds like you may be doing too much cardio. Are you doing any weight training? Excessive cardio will burn up your muscle mass. The weight comes off more slowly this far out. How are your clothes fitting? Sometimes exercise will put on a few pounds for muscle repair , but inches are coming off. Are you measuring yourself?

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

datachick
on 7/3/13 12:19 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

I hardly loose any weight now but am toning up a lot and still going down in clothes size.

Yes--what are you eating? calories/carbs/protein per day. Yes you have to eat more when you work out more so your body has stuff to burn, otherwise it thinks you are in a famine and will hang on to every calorie it has. When I enter in my exercise into MFP, it adjusts my calories/protein etc to what I need to support that work out. I usually just drink a protein drink on work out days, so I can get more protein (muscle repair) without a ton more calories.

You can read around on line, ask folks at the gym, get a book--that will help you a lot. Information is power. Figure out how many calories you are burning, and how much you need to eat to support that. It takes some effort to figure this stuff out, but as you can see simply exercising a lot doesn't work....simply not eating doesn't work....there has to be a balance.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

graciesmommie
on 7/3/13 1:45 am
I am burning an insane amount of calories. I have been entering my food into fitness pal. Everyday it says I am not eating enough. Maybe I should add some shakes. I know one thing it's disheartening.
datachick
on 7/3/13 2:06 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Try checking in with your nutritionist.

GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

Price S.
on 7/3/13 3:37 am - Mills River, NC

I certainly eat more when I am working out and lately have felt a need for more carbs.  Unfortunately, I tend to get them with chocolate instead of something healthier ( not that I don't eat a ton of good veggies).  Anyway, when I had my body scan done, I am overweight according to BMI charts, but underfat according to the body scan.  So my bones and muscles and I guess the extra skin weigh more than a normal person.  Anyway, it made me feel better about being more than I wanted to weigh when I was working pretty darn hard.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

datachick
on 7/3/13 5:17 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Yeah, you can get your body fat measured as well. I did it three months ago, mine was 28%. I'm doing it again Saturday, it will be lower for sure, I hope below 24%. This helps when the scale doesn't move much, keeps me assured I'm doing the right things.

GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

graciesmommie
on 7/3/13 12:16 pm
Thanks ladies! I added some eggs today as a way to get more protein in. Hopefully adding more protein will help.
MacMadame
on 7/3/13 2:03 pm - Northern, CA

How are your clothes fitting? If you are burning an insane amount of calories, maybe you are making muslces.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Stephmom
on 7/4/13 4:37 pm
Muscles weigh more than fat, measurements are better. Good luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 471 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 495 views