Looking for someone like me!

demig
on 7/20/13 10:58 am - NC
VSG on 02/14/14

Hi,

I think I have finally found a board that I fit in with. I am 43yrs old 5'8 with a bmi of 37 w/ osa, high blood pressure and cholesterol. My current weight is 240. I just went in for my initial consult last monday. Insurance will cover my surgery, just need 6 mos. dr. supervised weight program. I am looking for some support. Most people I have spoken to think I am not "big" enough to have surgery. Others think that I should try one more diet. I have been overweight all of my adult life and am ready to make an adult decision to have surgery. Some people just don't get that I have tried it all and just need a lifetime tool to help me to lead a healthy life. I would love to hear from other lightweights!!!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you!

Demi

bhans530
on 7/20/13 11:35 am

I started this journey at 258 lbs, 5'9, starting BMI 38.  I had bypass on 5/20/13 and am now down 53 pounds.  My husband was the one who thought I should just try a diet again, that I should be strong enough to do it on my own.  I elected to have the surgery and he did support me.  My strongest comment now would be:  If I didn't have the surgery, I would no longer be on a diet.  I have repeatedly said to my husband, okay, I'm done.  The surgery MAKES you stay on that diet, at least in the first few months.  After that, you will be making choices every day, just as you are now.  I am still in the "honeymoon" stage, and although I sometimes would like to eat the "old" way, I am happier with this "new" person I am becoming.  It is not easy, but I can and will continue to make the right choices.  BUT  it is not just about food.  I also have had to change my thinking process, and with a counselor she helped me to do that. Taking the vitamins daily is not picnic, but it is all about health.  I also work out 5 days a week.  Swimming, walking and with a trainer.  The trainer is expensive, but I find I am saving a lot of money by not buying so many groceries!  I do miss eating, but I don't have cravings or even hunger.  I find it amazing how little food is actually necessary to keep your body moving.

RNY 5/20/13 surg wt 233   5'9" HW 258 CW183

Ladytazz
on 7/20/13 11:52 am

I am amused by people who think all you need is another diet.  I can't think of anyone I know who has ever lost a significant amount of weight and kept it off for any length of time with a diet.  It is always the same story, excitement and joy as the weight is coming off and then shame and embarrassment when the weight starts to come back.  I lived that story many times.  To the people who tell you that you need to try on your own one more time you can just remind them that losing weight is easy, you are having WLS for a better chance at keeping it off.  Though, if they have never struggled with their weight, they may not get, but we get it.  We didn't have WLS lightly.  No one subjects themselves to the pain and risk of permanently altering their body to lose 5 or 10 lbs.  For most of us it is the last resort and the best chance we have to manage our weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Price S.
on 7/20/13 12:04 pm - Mills River, NC

We "get it".  None of us lightweights was "big enough" for surgery. We all "should have been able to diet it off"  Yeah.  We did, time after time.  And gained it right back and more.  Anyone who thinks this is the easy way hasn't been there.  Yep, the weight does pretty much fall off in the beginning but if you don't change your habits and brain, you can eat your way around WLS too.  If gives us a fighting chance.  And the support of this group helps us along the process.  I won't lie and tell you maintainance is easy.  It isn't.  But with my tool and the support of the group, I am at goal after almost 3 yrs.  I just wish I had done it sooner.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

demig
on 7/20/13 6:14 pm - NC
VSG on 02/14/14

Thanks for all the great responses. So glad tto hear that I am not the only one out here. I have good support from my parents, they get that it's a tool for better health. It's my husband that thinks I am "rushing into surgery", I have 6 mos of dr. supervised diet. He and I are going to a seminar from the surgery center on Aug 1st. I am hoping that him hearing directly from the drs. will help with any questions that are bothering him. I need his support 100% to stay on this life long journey.

Demi

MajorMom
on 7/20/13 8:39 pm - VA

Right there with you, Demi. 36.8 starting BMI and broke metabolism...couldn't lose squat. Welcome aboard!

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

southernlady5464
on 7/20/13 9:52 pm

Welcome, Demi...yeap me too, starting BMI of 35.2. After dieting since I was 12 (I'm 59 now), I had a broken metabolism ...and that's assuming it wasn't broken at birth. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/807871

Good luck with your journey.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Kermit P.
on 7/21/13 7:22 am

You found the right board!   This is the best, supportive board ever and we get it.  With the time of prep before surgery you will be well-prepared and will not be rushing into anything.  We all get it and have been there and all are glad we made this change.

Keep reading and posting. 

Good luck!

~~Jennifer

HW/232       CW/145.2       GW/???
singdoremi
on 7/21/13 8:53 am - NJ
This is an amazing board! I too, HAD a BMI of 37 with OSA, hypertension, high cholesterol and high triglycerides. I started my journey at 208 at 5'2". My PCP suggested joining a gym and reluctantly gave me a referral. I ended up having a lung resection in October and had to postpone my VSG til June 4th. That was about 7 weeks ago and I now weigh 160!
Good luck and I look forward to seeing your success!
Ellen

VSG 6/4/13
Ellen

Jody ***
on 7/21/13 10:07 am - Brighton, MI
RNY on 10/21/08 with

Glad you found us. I think every one of us could tell you the same story you already know.  

HW-218/SW-208/CW-126/ Lowest Weight-121/Goal-125 - hit 8/23/09/Height-5'3"

Regain 30 lbs from 2012 to 2016 - got back on track and lost it.  Took 8 months. 
90+/- pounds lost      
BMI - 24 or so
Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the Lightweights Board!

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 277 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 402 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views