Should I watch calories and carbs now???

Koko10
on 8/29/13 9:39 pm - NC

Good morning everyone! I have been gone for a while but I'm back. A lot has happened with the family and job which took me off line for a while. My question is...after 2 years and 7 months, I am starting to gain weight easily. I haven't changed my eating habits or my exercise pattern but I have gained 10 lbs. I am wondering what is going on. Then I remembered someone saying that we will start absorbing everything again after 2 or 3 years. This made me look at what I am eating and I realize that I eat a lot of fat. I am addicted to unsalted peanuts in the shell! Very easy on my pouch but high in calories and fat. So I am trying to figure out if that is the problem. I have not stretched my pouch because I can only eat small amounts at a time. Just wondering if any of you long timers have any advice for this stage. Thanks!

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Price S.
on 8/29/13 10:28 pm - Mills River, NC

Welcome back Koko. 

Yeah, isn't it amazing how it sneaks up on you but good that have a handle on it now before it is 20lbs.  I find I gain much more easily than I lose these days.  When I see myself going up, I start logging again and see what my calorie/carb intake is.  Adding those little things like your peanuts can add up.  Where we used to be able to eat 2000 calories when we were heavy and not gain, now for me it is more like 1300-1500 with a ton of exercise to stay the same.  And that isn't much at all.  go back to loggins for a while and post on miles and menus and get some suggestions.  When I have gone up and need to come back down, I go back to 30 net carbs a day and cut out all fruit and starches.  I keep dairy but really that is only cheese because after yogurt and cottage cheese I am hungry again so quickly.

glad you are back but sorry for the reason.  But 10 will be pretty quick to lose.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Koko10
on 8/30/13 4:05 am - NC

Hi Price, thank you!!! I'm glad to be able to get back online. I will start logging again and I will watch the carbs. I like the suggestion of 30 carbs a day. It's going to be hard because I find myself hungry a lot but I will do it. I have to stay around 1200 calories because I am very limited in the amount of exercise that I am allowed to do and have time to do. What about fat, do you watch that as well? The peanuts are so addictive for me! They are a quick go to snack when nothing else sounds good. I am going to get a handle on it before it becomes 20 lbs though. Thank you for the encouragement.

lerkhart
on 8/30/13 1:53 am

Hi Koko, welcome back and glad you caught it at 10 pounds and not more!!

It does get harder when you start back absorbing all the calories.  I post mine in My Fitness Pal and watch my carbs and calories pretty close now.  I have to stay around 1200 to not gain.

My advise is protein first, do not drink with your meals, limit your carbs like Price said, post your food so you are accountable for every bite that goes in your mouth and get some exercise.

Good luck.

Linda 

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Koko10
on 8/30/13 4:09 am - NC

Hi Linda, Thank you!!! I wish they would have had me watch my calories from the beginning! I try to stay 1200 like you and going any lower leaves me really hungry. I used to use Daily Burn, I have a app on my phone for that one. I will begin using it again and try to squeeze another 15 minute walk in somewhere. I will also have to go back to measuring my food cause I stink at guessing so I'm probably not accountable for everything.  I will keep in touch!

Roz !!!!
on 8/30/13 3:53 am - Butler, PA

It's Great to see you!!!!  YEP..gain back is crappy!!!!!   I hope you figure it out before those 10 lbs. turn into 15.

We can get away with a few extra carbs and calories during those first few years and then it comes back to bite you after the honeymoon period is over. 

I am glad to hear you are eating small meals but make sure you are eating enough because that can make you gain also.  We have to stick with Protein and low carb for life!!!!!   I haven't checked for awhile but I'm at about 1300-1400 calories whi*****ludes about 400 just from Protein drinks.

Peanuts actually kill my pouch.  I love them too but I get a terrible stomach ache. I can't eat stuff like that right out of the bag.  I try to buy single serving snacks so I don't over do it.

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

Koko10
on 8/30/13 4:13 am - NC

Hi Roz, Thank you!!! Before my gallbladder surgery, all I could eat was peanuts so I became addicted to them. I dealt with trying to figure out why I was sick when I ate for over a year and it was the only thing that really didn't make me feel sick right away. Now  it's my quick go to snack. I will try to find other things that have less fat and carbs but this is hard! I am going to go back to my protein drinks as well. Maybe strawberry unjury lemonade will help me not get hungry in the afternoon and protein coffee will help me get through the morning. I wonder if I am getting too few calories sometimes as well. I will keep close tabs for the next couple weeks so I will know. I appreciate the encouragement and advice.

Roz !!!!
on 8/30/13 5:08 am, edited 8/30/13 5:08 am - Butler, PA

WOW...it really surprises me that you were able to eat peanuts when you were having gall bladder problems.  I can't eat many of them before they make my stomach hurt.

I'm glad you are going to start drinking your Protein drinks again!  Snacks/ meals I eat:  jerky, beef sticks, cheese, baby carrots with dip made from Fage Zero Greek yogurt mixed with dry vegetable dip powder, baby carrots dipped in a little peanut butter, pizza chips (recipe on another post), boiled eggs, salmon patties, meatballs, small Wendy's Chili, etc.

I basically eat the same foods all of the time. I usually put single servings into ziploc baggies so I can grab and go.

Roz

on Maintenance

Koko10
on 8/30/13 6:52 am - NC

Yeah Roz, I'm weird like that. kiss I can eat most things now but sugar still gives me a headache and makes me feel a little woozy. I can only tolerate Light and Fit Greek yogurt strawberry flavor. However, I will try Fage Zero with dry vegetable dip powder. I bet I could eat it that way. I find carrots have a lot of sugar but I love cucumbers. I will try that. I am also going to try the pizza chips and meat balls. Thank you so much for the suggestions because I cut out so much when I couldn't eat that I forgot to try to reintroduce it back into my menu. I really appreciate this. angry

Roz !!!!
on 8/30/13 11:39 pm - Butler, PA

I am planning on taking time this weekend to look back at my old menus to see what kinds of things I use to eat.  I feel like I have been in a rut lately and need something new to add to my menu.

Carrots probably do have sugar in them but I like very few vegetables and I need the fiber.  I don't eat salad, cucumbers, peppers (love the flavor but not the pepper itself, etc.  I do like canned green beans.  It's corn on the cob season here so I have had that a few times but usually I avoid it totally because of the carbs.

Roz

on Maintenance

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 286 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 410 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 470 views
Still kickin'...