Should I be Worried

ebonymc
on 11/16/13 6:06 am

Hello Everyone,  I am a LW going through the pre op process again. I have the lap band and as most people, We've failed one another.  I will be revising to RNY due to not meeting my goal weight and also due to my diabetes and B/P.  I weigh 218 pounds at this time and my husband and daughter feels as if I should just go ahead and live the rest of my life as I am b/c I would get down to be too skinny. I am 59 years young and still active and want to be for a while to come.  I have always been afraid of this surgery and thats the reason I chose the band. (wrong choice).  My family isn't making my decision any better.  I know they love me, and it's hard to know if my husband is really afraid for my health or is he more afraid that it will make him more jealous than he already is. I already know that the latter part is true, but I really do want to get rid of the co-morbidities that I have. Becoming too thin is also a concern of mine.  I'm afraid of developing the diabetes complications as my mother and two of my brothers did.  HELP!!!

TexasTerritory
on 11/16/13 6:13 am
VSG on 07/22/13
You are not too old for surgery~~go for it. Seems that you are concerned about your health. I have the sleeve so I don't know very much about the RNY but I think you can avoid being too thin. Like you, I selected WLS because of fear of developing diabetes. Good luck.

Price S.
on 11/16/13 6:57 am - Mills River, NC

I was 61 when I had my RNY because I wanted my life back.  And I got it.  I did get pretty guante for a while but it didn't last long.  Bounce back is real.  I DID get rid of all my co-morbidities and now am on NO meds except prolosec.  It has been so very worth it for me and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.  If it is the health that he is concerned with, have him go to classes and Dr appt with you so he can understand everything.  If it is jealousy, start counciling now so you both can deal with the new you.  Each of us has to make our own decisions and it is easier if you have support but you can do it even if you don't, if you know it is the right thing for you.  Good luck and stay in touch.  We are here for you.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

A. Kondrlik
on 11/16/13 7:06 am
VSG on 01/24/13

i am 55 and 10  months out from my VSG.  My husband was pretty hesitant to have me get the surgery, but now that i have lost over 110 lbs he understands why i had it and is glad i did.  He has lost a bunch of weight also.  He has started telling me i am too skinny whichi definetely am not.I certainly look smaller, but i wouldn't call myself gaunt.  I want to get as far away from that top weight as I can , it just feels safer!

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

ebonymc
on 11/16/13 1:21 pm

Thanks so much everyone, for your words of support. I really do need a lot of it.  As for my husband going to the meetings with me is out.  He wouldn't go when I was banded and he most certainly won't go now.  I did ask him to and I will continue to ask.  My daughter has agreed to go with me at my next support group meeting.

italianspice
on 11/16/13 10:35 pm - Eastlake, OH

This has to be your decision, for your health. Diabetes is a serious disease.

Education is key, learn as much as you can. Go to some meetings and meet people who have had surgery and what their experience has been. Keep posting here.

Even though I am a lightweight, I have never gotten too skinny. Never quite hit my goal, but no more diabetes, fatty liver, hight blood pressure or high cholesterol has made it a real blessing in my life.

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

ebonymc
on 11/17/13 6:49 am

Thanks Italianspice, my support groups does periodically have meetings with both pre and post op patients.  I will be sure to attend when that time comes.  That's a great idea. Your co-morbidities seem to the same as mine and I'm impressed to see how they are all under control now and w/o getting too skinny.  Thanks I needed to hear that.

Huneypie
on 11/16/13 10:51 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

The DS is your best bet for diabetes resolution.  Please see below:

RNY

Type 2 Diabetes   84%
Hyperlipidemia      97%
Hypertension       68%
Sleep Apnea        80%

DS

Type 2 Diabetes   99%
Hyperlipidemia      99%
Hypertension       83%
Sleep Apnea        92%

The Duodenal Switch weight loss surgery procedure has seen the highest rate of type 2 diabetes cure, often before leaving the hospital following surgery!

Source: http://www.dsfacts.com/Comparison-of-DS-and-RNY.html#.UojXQf k5mzM

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

ebonymc
on 11/17/13 6:24 am

Hey Huneypie,  Those are awesome stats as far as diabetes goes, but doesn't the DS cause significant weight loss and is intended for those of a much higher weight? I am at a lower weight going into surgery and one of my main concerns is losing too much. Educate me on this and I will do the same on the DS b/c I'm only guessing.

Huneypie
on 11/17/13 3:05 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

My BMI was 30 when I got switched, but I was a 2 parter.  MajorMom and SouthernLady were virgin DSers and had a BMI of 35.  If you qualify for WLS that should include the DS.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 285 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 408 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 469 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 493 views