New Here and nervous!

kellma699
on 12/12/13 11:17 am
VSG on 02/04/14
Hello All! I have my first visit with my surgeon tomorrow. I am 38, 185lbs and just under 5'4. My BMI is 31-32. I have no co morbidities. I do have an extensive history of weight loss and gain as well as a serious family history of Type 2 and obesity. My Mom is from a family of 9 and All of them have type 2 and are obese. My highest weight was 257 in 2002. I have been up and down the scales since then with the lowest being 152. I am afraid the surgeon will tell me that I am too fit and not big enough or sick enough for surgery. I want the sleeve. I regularly (almost every day) run 5 miles. Anyone been approved or denied in a similar situation? I am self payingi have been thinking of doing this for some time. I finally made the decision to move forward last week.
Price S.
on 12/12/13 10:19 pm - Mills River, NC

Wow, you have already lost around 70 lbs.  good for you.  Since you are self pay, it will all depend on your surgeon's rules, not insurance ones, as to acceptance or not.  You may have to shop around to find someone who will approve you with no comorbiities and that low a BMI.  but those of us on the LW board, feel you pain with yoyo dieting and not wanting to wait until you do have all those issues.  Most of us only regret not having WLS sooner.

So good luck with your meeting, let us know how it went.  Hopefully this will work for you (getting surgery, we know the surgery will work if you work it)

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Vivian Prouty
on 12/12/13 10:58 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Good for you for making a decision to get the weight off before your health goes downhill.    I think like Price does....you may have to shop around to find a surgeon who will do the sleeve on you with your low BMI....I can just hear people thinking "your not that big".....it doesn't matter what others think....what YOU think about yourself is what matters.     You go for it and good luck.    Oh and welcome to this message board.   Super sweet people here.   Good luck and please keep us updated here on your process.    

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

kellma699
on 12/12/13 11:33 pm
VSG on 02/04/14
Thank you for understanding. Yes, I so want to get this under control before it escapes me. My Mom was about my age and size when she was diagnosed with Type 2. In the past 20 years her health has deteriorated rapidly. She has had numerous surgeries and has almost died 2 times. Currently she is in a nursing home for a few months because her blood sugar dropped dramatically, she fell and broke her ankle. She lives in MI or else I would have her here with me to care for her. Anyway, it's frightening how bad this disease can get and how quickly. I do not want to go there. She is only 59 and has the health of a 90 year old.
Vivian Prouty
on 12/13/13 12:17 am - Fort Worth, TX

So very sad that your Mom is going through all this.   I am a year older than her and my BMI was 50 so I was NOT a lightweight.    It gets to me how rude people are and how quickly they judge others.     I say you go for it.   I have never ever wished that I hadn't had my WLS ever.   Even in the beginning with eating foods that made me run for the restroom because it wasn't going to stay down.   It's OK.    I was overweight my entire life and I'm still not as small as I'd like to be but hey....I am SO much better than I was at almost 300 lbs.    Good luck and hope your dear Mom gets better really soon.

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.

Huneypie
on 12/13/13 3:28 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
You're a lightweight now though ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Vivian Prouty
on 12/13/13 6:38 am - Fort Worth, TX

Huneypie...that is debatable.   LOL   I am a "lightweight" in comparison to my before weight.....but my BMI isn't in the "normal" range nor has it ever been since my WLS.   That is OK though.   I am OK with where I am although I would like to loose about 10-15 lbs.    Hopefully after the holiday;s are over.   Have a blessed weekend my friend.

merwyns
on 12/13/13 12:32 am
VSG on 01/14/14 with

I'm pretty much in your shoes as well. I'm 38 with a 33-35 BMI. I'm 5'3" and while my highest isn't as high as yours was, I have a long history of loss and regain.  No comorbidities yet, but extensive family history of Type2 diabetes and heart conditions.  I'm at 185 right now too!  I think I have found a surgeon who will do this procedure for me.  I have a consult with him on Monday and I'll let you know how things go. I believe as a self-pay we should have good luck. No way is insurance going to cover my procedure but I bet they like not having to jump through those hoops.  We should keep in touch as we are going through this at roughly the same time.

Cheers!

~Mer

kellma699
on 12/13/13 12:38 am
VSG on 02/04/14
Met, I think I have found a surgeon who does low BMI patients. At least their TV ads, website and patient testimonials say they do. I talked with the patient rep and explained my situation to her. She said the surgeon would look me over and talk with me, but they do it on a case by case basis. The consult is $250 and at that price I don't want to do too much shopping around! This surgeon comes highly recommended and has has the VSG himself. Good luck to you and yes let's keep in touch. I will post here later after I see the surgeon.
Ladytazz
on 12/13/13 12:50 am

You may have more luck with surgeons in Mexico if you can't find anyone in the US.  It would cost a lot less, too, plus you can get a vacation out of it ;)

The only thing I would advice is I would be concerned if they wanted to give you a larger sleeve because of your BMI.  I had a very large sleeve and it was pretty  much useless.  I felt no restriction at all.  Since it would naturally stretch out over time I would want to have one on the smaller size in spite of your BMI.  I'm not a doctor so that it for what it's worth but a larger sleeve would get me nervous.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 278 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 403 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 464 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 489 views