Discussed it with the husband... a real discussion

Jenniflower75
on 1/2/15 9:54 am

I've decided (finally with my husbands support) that if my insurance covers it and the doctor says it's necessary that I can have the DS. It's just the right thing to do. My health is steadily getting worse and i weigh more than I did before the doctor told me to gain to have the surgery!!! I want to be healthy and this surgery isn't the one that I wanted. I knew from the beginning that I needed the malabsorption to succeed and with the DS I will have that. They are going to put it into my insurance as a second step surgery since I have already had the sleeve done. I'm hoping that it goes through but since I have medicare the chances aren't good. I'm staying hopeful anyway because my health has gotten me to the point that I'm scared to be alone for fear of something happening to me. 

My husband is also going to have the surgery. He is having it either way because he too is on medicare but they definitely cover a first surgery because that is the insurance I had for the sleeve. I also know they cover the DS because I was going to have it. If we both get it done We will take a taxi the 5 hr trip there and back so that we don't have to worry about driving after surgery. If only he has the surgery I will be renting a car and going from there. I'm trying not to get excited just in case I can't have it done but at any rate I'm glad my husband is having the surgery. I fear for both of our health and this is a huge step for him. he is weighing in at almost 400 lbs. He is in 4x cloths and his belly hangs out below his shirts. It's a scary thing. he's only 32 and has had a heart attack already!!!! Anyway I just wanted to update you all and ask that you keep me in prayers and wish us luck. I really really hope this works out..

MajorMom
on 1/2/15 8:14 pm - VA

Wishing you both good luck as you go through the process to get DSs.  There's a lot of nonnegotiable commitment to a lot of vitamins and protein, but if you want it bad enough, it can be done. All the best!  

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Price S.
on 1/2/15 9:05 pm - Mills River, NC

I hope it works for you and you work it.  You, either of you, can out eat any surgery.  You both need to support each other and get professional help also.  Overeaters Anom.  is free.  You can do this but you may need constant, on-going support and a real commitment to the vitamin/protein regieme.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Roz !!!!
on 1/2/15 9:07 pm - Butler, PA

I'm so glad you decided together to take this step!!  Praying everything works out for you both and you become a Healthy Couple!!

Roz

God is walking with me every step of the way. Because of HIM this is possible!!

RNY 10/15/2008 9+ Years!!!
Height: 4' 11" HW: 203 SW: 197 CW: 119
on Maintenance

lerkhart
on 1/3/15 2:18 am

Good luck with the insurance company!!  If you both are in this together, it should be great support for each of you.

Linda

14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Jenniflower75
on 1/3/15 4:50 pm

THank you both... I'm supposed to hear back this week about the insurance. I'm really nervous about what they say. I have to talk to the doctor to see if I can have all of my testing done here or how that's going to work. The doctor is supposed to be really good, so is the hospital. I had an excellent experience with the hospital for the first surgery, unfortunately they don't do the DS or I would be returning. I feel confident in this new surgeon though. I wish my husband would figure out what he wants to do. I can't do this without him. It's too hard watching him eat junk and bad foods when I can't have them. eventually I cave and I can't be doing that.

hollykim
on 1/5/15 6:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 2, 2015 at 5:54 PM Pacific Time, Jenniflower75 wrote:

I've decided (finally with my husbands support) that if my insurance covers it and the doctor says it's necessary that I can have the DS. It's just the right thing to do. My health is steadily getting worse and i weigh more than I did before the doctor told me to gain to have the surgery!!! I want to be healthy and this surgery isn't the one that I wanted. I knew from the beginning that I needed the malabsorption to succeed and with the DS I will have that. They are going to put it into my insurance as a second step surgery since I have already had the sleeve done. I'm hoping that it goes through but since I have medicare the chances aren't good. I'm staying hopeful anyway because my health has gotten me to the point that I'm scared to be alone for fear of something happening to me. 

My husband is also going to have the surgery. He is having it either way because he too is on medicare but they definitely cover a first surgery because that is the insurance I had for the sleeve. I also know they cover the DS because I was going to have it. If we both get it done We will take a taxi the 5 hr trip there and back so that we don't have to worry about driving after surgery. If only he has the surgery I will be renting a car and going from there. I'm trying not to get excited just in case I can't have it done but at any rate I'm glad my husband is having the surgery. I fear for both of our health and this is a huge step for him. he is weighing in at almost 400 lbs. He is in 4x cloths and his belly hangs out below his shirts. It's a scary thing. he's only 32 and has had a heart attack already!!!! Anyway I just wanted to update you all and ask that you keep me in prayers and wish us luck. I really really hope this works out..

just wanted to mention,that most hospitals will not allow

you to go home in a taxi,much less for a 5 hour trip. 

You might have to have the surgery separately,by a few weeks ,so you each can drive the other home.

Huneypie
on 1/6/15 1:42 am - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

OMG - a heart attack!!  The DS should be pretty OK by comparison.  All the best for easy recoveries for you both. ;-)

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Jenniflower75
on 1/6/15 3:08 pm

Thanks guys

Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 285 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 409 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 469 views